So proud of this team... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So proud of this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that because it didn't appear that she had a lot of weight *directly over* it when it rolled that it won't turn out to be an extreme ankle injury. Certainly it was at least a moderately bad version of this common injury but I think there's a good shot that she's back before too long.

i did a roll like that playing volleyball during school...came down from a block, no one around me, but just completely rolled it when i landed. i'm pretty sure i tapped my ankle to the floor. just like Jackie, i immedately fell to the floor. luckily with mine i was back in action in like 10 minutes. it was sore as hell the next day, but nothing lasting/lingering.

....I say that, it'll probably come back with ligaments or something. hopefully this is a reverse jinx and she's fine :)

Reaction Score
I don't believe it!!!! I can't believe it!!!

These kids are so tough. They're not supposed to be undefeated at this point in the schedule. Did anyone tell them they don't have a center?

So let's review: They've knocked off Florida State (#7), Baylor (#3), DePaul (#15), Texas (#17, though they will certainly move back up), and now Notre Dame (#1/#2). And that doesn't include a tough LSU team (6-2, and a competitive Tennessee-Chattanooga team. And they're still undefeated? Are you kidding me??!!??

So now it's a countdown to January 14 against Southern Methodist. If they're still undefeated at that point, they'll set the all-time record with 91 straight wins.

But right now there are still challenges. We're down to Four Games in December.

Next up: Kansas State, which is undefeated, with a great post player, and we'll be playing on their home court. But something tells me that these kids will be up to it!

Reaction Score
Geno with Muffet's team blows everybody out. Muffet too loyal to Westbeld, should have benched Mabrey, and gone to her better athletes. Agumwale 4 for 17, tougher to score against a switching team defense. But WHAT A GAME ! Great cutting and passing, toughness, pride, and Gabby, hanging from the scoreboard.

I picked Mabrey as the ND player who would choke. Apparently, she did.

Reaction Score
Like I said.....UConn is #1 until somebody beats them.

Maryland should be shaking in their boots! They're really the only ones who, on paper, have a realistic chance of beating UConn before South Carolina.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Notre Dame needed to make a bunch of tough shots to get the lead. That wasn't going to last. Add back Collier and it was just a matter of time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

These kids are so tough. They're not supposed to be undefeated at this point in the schedule. Did anyone tell them they don't have a center?

So let's review: They've knocked off Florida State (#7), Baylor (#3), DePaul (#15), Texas (#17, though they will certainly move back up), and now Notre Dame (#1/#2). And that doesn't include a tough LSU team (6-2, and a competitive Tennessee-Chattanooga team. And they're still undefeated? Are you kidding me??!!??

So now it's a countdown to January 14 against Southern Methodist. If they're still undefeated at that point, they'll set the all-time record with 91 straight wins.

Next up: Kansas State, which is undefeated, with a great post player, and we'll be playing on their home court. But something tells me that these kids will be up to it!

KSU is not bad, but I am of the opinion that the way the Huskies are playing right now, they'll roll through Kansas like a tidal wave....or more appropriately like a Huskynado, devouring Wildcats as they pass through.

Reaction Score
Gabby's performance was as impressive a performance as I've ever seen from a Husky. It may not have been the National Championship game, but she was everywhere. Not just stats: points, rebounds and steals. EFFORT! Tipped balls, incredibly tough D and incredible inner strength against a player 4 inches taller. Also, she was guarding Arike. Absolutely amazing. Gabby deserves 10 Bad Ass awards.

Reaction Score

Geno won't let them take this game for granted, but if there's a trap game, this is it. I believe in the Huskies. Go Huskies. Woof!

Reaction Score
Maryland should be shaking in their boots! They're really the only ones who, on paper, have a realistic chance of beating UConn before South Carolina.

...and they just might, playing the game at their gym. It will come down to a question of match-ups, although Geno and staff seem to know the right levers to pull to disarm mismatches. Maryland will be tough.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The game was won on the foul line 19-4. the Huskies shot 19 for 20 and the Irish made 4 out of 8.
End of story. Nice going Gabby, you were great tonight. This was a great win in ND, has to be a
great confidence builder for this team. GO HUSKIES!!!!

That says all anyone needs to know about which team was the aggressor. Other than the several minutes in the 2Q when they made their run with Collier out of the game, I thought ND looked like they were playing back on their heels all night.

I think ND looks like they're almost too big. Some of their bigs look pretty slow and unathletic...not a typical looking ND team IMO. It seems they're sacrificing athleticism and movement for size. They could always rain threes on you in the past. This team doesn't have that look. Either that or we're the best defensive team on the planet if we made them look that bad.

We beat them with athleticism and speed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The effort and desire was evident from our players. The biggest strength of this team is its balance. Although not deep, Uconn has 3 dynamic scorers plus Nurse who has the ability to hit open looks. Each of these four impressed tonight.

Gabby-gutsy performance, key on D, is showing the ability to find open teammates more and more, rebounding. She was everything for this squad tonight.

Collier-during the 2nd quarter, I was just praying for them to hold on with her on the bench. If they kept it close, her knack for scoring, defense, and rebounding would allow them to jump ahead in the 2nd half.

Lou- scored in ways she has never had to in her career. I was impressed by her desire to take shots when the team was struggling. She had two huge baskets to close the 2nd quarter to keep it close. Also nice to see her mix it up inside on both offense and defense. Her height needs to be utilized more since this is a smaller team.

Nurse-veteran defensive performance. She at times looked like the floor general on defense. Her hustle doesn't always show up in the box score but she always has an impact on winning. I was happy to see her not force the issue on offense and stay composed when she wasn't being offered open looks.

Chong and the bench provided solid minutes. Her Butler and Dangerfield look to be the only 3 other players in the rotation for big games. Hopefully over the course of the season they can add a bit more scoring. Maybe that's just me being greedy! Great win tonight.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Thanks for having such a fun TEAM to watch. I was a stout Louisville fan for 4 years and recently tired of Walz. That was a great job by your TEAM. I'm not a UConn fan but I sure am envious of how well you share the ball. Makes you want to keep watching WBB. Well done!

Glad to have you. I wholeheartedly agree. As all BY's understand, it is not the winning alone that matters, It is the style of play. Beautiful team offense based on incredible coaching, connected help defense as well as high effort individual defense and unbelievable poise and will. I still cant believe how our undersized posts are playing.

Reaction Score
After all I've been through today this game was awe inspiring! What a pick-me-up!
A complete effort by our girls especially Gabby, Napheesa, and Katie Lou!
Mental and physical toughness!

Get better my friend. Glad we could all enjoy.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Thanks for having such a fun TEAM to watch. I was a stout Louisville fan for 4 years and recently tired of Walz. That was a great job by your TEAM. I'm not a UConn fan but I sure am envious of how well you share the ball. Makes you want to keep watching WBB. Well done!

This articulates why I've been a diehard UConn WBB fan ever since I first saw them play. Just completely elevated the game to another plane, in terms of both teamwork and aesthetics.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The beauty of this team is that they're not playing up to their potential. Their half court game is sketchy, their backcourt doesn't give them enough offense and is so-so on defense (though improving), and for stretches of time they seem to lose focus. Yet they are still beating these so-called contenders by double digits. What's to say?

What a tough critic. I may buy the sometimes stagnant offense assessment (the other team does play defense you know and will take away at least some options) but disagree completely with your assessment of defense and focus.

Reaction Score
After all I've been through today this game was awe inspiring! What a pick-me-up!
A complete effort by our girls especially Gabby, Napheesa, and Katie Lou!
Mental and physical toughness!
How are you feeling? Hope you're on the mend!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think that we are watching the evolution and the emergence of the "New BIG THREE" = Collier, Williamson and Samuelson with an excellent supporting cast.
Who is this "Williamson" player you refer to? LOL good one!! You made me laugh!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not me! I have been posting about the toughness of the core of this team from day one. It was on full display for the entire country to see. I've been saying there is an understated toughness that will win them many games and possibly another NC.
I think many undervalued the fact that this core has been apart of a couple of NC, they know what it takes to win big games in hostile enviroments. That was evident tonight, they were teh more poised and battle hardened team. Outstanding job ladies!!
One thing on Notre Dame, not to kick them after a loss. I have much respect for Muffet Mcgraw and the program that she has built, but I think the ND teams of the last couple of years is better than this one. I've always believed it takes only one or two looks at a wcbb team to know if they have the goods. I don't think this ND team is a NC team. I think Baylor, Maryland and maybe SC are bigger threats to this Uconn team... It's been a long time since I thought that about the Irish...I'm not a big fan of Allen or Turner, I think they're both a little overrated.... but enough about them this night belongs to the Huskies!!!!

Huhm. I think the toughness was evidenced from day 2. That FSU game, we were up by 8 but we let them back in and were lucky to get out of the with a win. However, we learned from this.

I definitely agree that ND may be a little overrated but all the other challengers also have weaknesses so I really do not think we have any more challengers. I think Lindsey Allen (except on the free throw line ??) is strong but Breanna Turner never plays a big game where she does not miss multiple bunnies. It really is very noticeable and I had mentioned it prior to the game in another thread. Such talent but something is missing. If Butler had 10% of that talent, wow. I was also surprised how invisible Mabrey was, She had been a threat in previous games.

Reaction Score
BIG PICTURE

UConn: After winning four straight national championships, many thought the inexperienced Huskies looked vulnerable this season, especially after narrowly eking out a 78-76 win over No. 7 Florida State to start the season. The Huskies have beaten five ranked teams, including No. 2 Notre Dame and No. 3 Baylor, and have staked their claim as the clear No. 1.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
In a season where most (even UCONN fans) thought that it would be a rebuilding year, we have beaten 2 teams many experts thought would get us this season. Many thought the final 4 was our maximum upside. So far, this team is proving most everyone wrong! Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa are truly sensational. There is no better trio of players in the country, IMHO.

We outrebounded ND by 3, had more assists (18-14), and were called for 4 less fouls, to a team who in the past has offered a PhD in flopping. We were also 19-20 from the charity stripe.

And lest we forget the rest of the team - Chong, Nurse, Dangerfield and Butler all showed they belong out on the court, even against the 2nd best team in the nation. So proud of this team!
All well said. Uconn has thrived, even while I have languished from glioblastoma for more than three years, and these groups of young women just keep me going. And guessing- I'm astounded by what they've accomplished and continue to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom