So proud of this team... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So proud of this team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
There are sooooo many UConn-haters who are punching their pillows about now, so certain were they that the game at South Bend would end the streak.

Reaction Score
What a pleasure to behold. Beautiful ball movement, great passes, rebounding, intense defense and a will to win. Just makes me want to keep on quoting John Wooden. And beating THEM on their floor.........PRICELESS!
Love you guys.

Reaction Score
There are sooooo many UConn-haters who are punching their pillows about now, so certain were they that the game at South Bend would end the streak.
I was a UConn hater but you can't hate this team. Joy to watch and for a team that wins soooo much UConn is not smug. Very classy players and athletic, skilled and damn smart.

Reaction Score
Huhm. I think the toughness was evidenced from day 2. That FSU game, we were up by 8 but we let them back in and were lucky to get out of the with a win. However, we learned from this.

I definitely agree that ND may be a little overrated but all the other challengers also have weaknesses so I really do not think we have any more challengers. I think Lindsey Allen (except on the free throw line ??) is strong but Breanna Turner never plays a big game where she does not miss multiple bunnies. It really is very noticeable and I had mentioned it prior to the game in another thread. Such talent but something is missing. If Butler had 10% of that talent, wow. I was also surprised how invisible Mabrey was, She had been a threat in previous games.

Yes in fact from an outsiders view I think Fl State may be the best team you've played so far this year. I know the pollsters disagree. That was a great game for TV to open the season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What a tough critic. I may buy the sometimes stagnant offense assessment (the other team does play defense you know and will take away at least some options) but disagree completely with your assessment of defense and focus.
If you think then that their half court game is just fine, that their backcourt gives them plenty of offense and has no room for improvement offensively or defensively, and that for entire periods this young team maintains its focus, then I defer to your rose colored glasses. Perhaps we can keep this team locked in amber while the rest of WCBB improves by Dallas.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know ... these sophomores and juniors and seniors weren't sleeping over the past three years - they were learning. What we saw last year with the team was a TEAM that rode the hot hand - Morgan, Moriah, and Breanna shared the honors on numerous nights with cameo appearances on specific nights from Kia and Lou and Gabby and Napheesa and Saniya. I think what is so exciting for us is that most of us thought with the graduates gone we would not have the consistency and balance that we had grown accustomed to.

Through eight games ... surprise, surprise, these young women learned from their elders and are duplicating the results - except for that blip of a first game where they built a double digit lead and then gave it back, they are carrying on a proud tradition of not letting teams get within 10 points! Think of that FSU game as this team's Stanford, only this team didn't allow the last second tie and an overtime, in fact Collier blocked it. :)

By the way - in the same way that Moriah introduced herself to the Lieberman Award voters in a game against SC two years ago, Gabby just announced herself to the AA voters tonight!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
There a little thing that I thing that got lost tonight in all the shine of Gabby, Lou and Pheese. Since Baylor Danger has shown a propensity for getting beat off the dribble, particularly going to her right. Tonight her on ball defense showed much improvement and she kept her hands up. She still made rookie mistakes, but this to me was another good step that will keep her in the game.

Reaction Score
There are so many things to love about this team, I'm going to have to employ my NASA approved calculator and make an effort to calculate the number.

Reaction Score
After all I've been through today this game was awe inspiring! What a pick-me-up!
A complete effort by our girls especially Gabby, Napheesa, and Katie Lou!
Mental and physical toughness!

Hang tough, big guy. This spuds for you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There a little thing that I thing that got lost tonight in all the shine of Gabby, Lou and Pheese. Since Baylor Danger has shown a propensity for getting beat off the dribble, particularly going to her right. Tonight her on ball defense showed much improvement and she kept her hands up. She still made rookie mistakes, but this to me was another good step that will keep her in the game.
Nice observation

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Yes in fact from an outsiders view I think Fl State may be the best team you've played so far this year. I know the pollsters disagree. That was a great game for TV to open the season.

The FSU game may have been the closest, but Baylor and ND are better teams, IMO. UConn played a lot better against the latter two.

jennyo70

Loo'ville Lady
Reaction Score
Major props, Husky Nation!
More than any player on your team, I am in awe of Collier. Man, that kid can play. Not that others can't. But. Wow.
Williams was incredible defensively last night, maybe other nights that I have not seen, last night she was a standout.

Reaction Score
I said they'd win by 8 or 9 or more if they go on a run or 2! And I'm not impressed with ND's bigs, we outplayed them inside as I also said!
The Muffett has been found wanting in big games! Not even close to Geno's level as a HC!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Major props, Husky Nation!
More than any player on your team, I am in awe of Collier. Man, that kid can play. Not that others can't. But. Wow.
Williams was incredible defensively last night, maybe other nights that I have not seen, last night she was a standout.

It is hard to keep track of Gabby. It seems that all you see of her is her ankles at eye level.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ogunbowale and Mabrey are 5 for 22, their gunners effectively neutralized. And, for once, there wasn't a parade of Irish floppers at the foul line, all evidence of an inspired Husky defense.
You know - I was impressed with both teams playing it straight up re flops and exaggerations of contact. It was certainly physical but I don't remember any real acting going on.

(For the most part it wasn't needed at least in the first half with the refs imagining all the fouls either team could want.:eek: :rolleyes:)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning feeling more than fine thanks to this team, but my predominant feeling was just happiness for this team that has dedicated itself to being relentless, resilient and tough. There is more growth to be had for the team - all of the team - and it will be needed. But we have a vital question answered for this season: there is absolutely no quit in the leadership of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
In a season where most (even UCONN fans) thought that it would be a rebuilding year, we have beaten 2 teams many experts thought would get us this season. Many thought the final 4 was our maximum upside. So far, this team is proving most everyone wrong! Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa are truly sensational. There is no better trio of players in the country, IMHO.

We outrebounded ND by 3, had more assists (18-14), and were called for 4 less fouls, to a team who in the past has offered a PhD in flopping. We were also 19-20 from the charity stripe.

And lest we forget the rest of the team - Chong, Nurse, Dangerfield and Butler all showed they belong out on the court, even against the 2nd best team in the nation. So proud of this team!

I wold go a step further; four of our starters ( the exception being Soniya ) will always be better than any four we come up against. As Crystal matures, and replaces Soniya, it might be said that our starting 5 is better than any other.

Our depth, however, is limited and unknown. Soniya is a capable ball handler ( few turnovers for minutes played ) and a decent defender and ball distributor. She has lost all confidence in her shooting, however, so she is not an offensive threat, I almost think she would rather hold the ball until a shot clock violation occurs, than shoot. Butler is a large body who takes up space. She works hard and has courage. But her hands are made of stone and her athleticism is more suited for Division II than I. Molly and Kyla remain mysteries, as expected.

This team will thrive as long as it can remain healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom