So much pure gold here right now | Page 9 | The Boneyard

So much pure gold here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I wonder if my observations are accurate. If so, it would make sense that we are on the low side of average number of offensive plays run in a game as compared to the conference/ national division 1 average of total number of offensive plays per game.
It's quite clear to me that we're deliberately trying to shorten the game and limit the oppositions offensive opportunities. I understand it but I have three problems with it..
1) it's a strategy weak teams employ to try and compete with stronger teams.. it's an admission of weakness in front of your players and not a strategy of confidence;
2) it greatly magnifies the importance of bounce plays; Maine gets a 10/14-point swing play on us (the scoop and score) and we barely have time left to beat them by three (note the ease with which we put up 10 in the 4th qtr when we committed to offense - why didn't we hang 40 on Maine? because we didn't want to.); and
3) like you say Carl, it disrupts all offensive rhythm - not to mention, if the defense knows we're snapping at 1 sec on every play, no wonder they're getting off the ball better than we are and playing in our backfield...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
It's quite clear to me that we're deliberately trying to shorten the game and limit the oppositions offensive opportunities. I understand it but I have three problems with it..
1) it's a strategy weak teams employ to try and compete with stronger teams.. it's an admission of weakness in front of your players and not a strategy of confidence;
2) it greatly magnifies the importance of bounce plays; Maine gets a 10/14-point swing play on us (the scoop and score) and we barely have time left to beat them by three (note the ease with which we put up 10 in the 4th qtr when we committed to offense - why didn't we hang 40 on Maine? because we didn't want to.); and
3) like you say Carl, it disrupts all offensive rhythm - not to mention, if the defense knows we're snapping at 1 sec on every play, no wonder they're getting off the ball better than we are and playing in our backfield...

And yet having said all of this, we see that the team operates at its best when it is in its "2-minute offense".

This is the issue that I have with the slow-down strategy, if it is indeed being implemented on purpose. We also see that the team seems to operate better in both the pass and the run when Shirreffs is allowed to operate from the shotgun. What I would like to see is for us to have him work out of the shotgun more consistently and allow the offense to run a much higher tempo. I think it will pay dividends...

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
And yet having said all of this, we see that the team operates at its best when it is in its "2-minute offense".

This is the issue that I have with the slow-down strategy, if it is indeed being implemented on purpose. We also see that the team seems to operate better in both the pass and the run when Shirreffs is allowed to operate from the shotgun. What I would like to see is for us to have him work out of the shotgun more consistently and allow the offense to run a much higher tempo. I think it will pay dividends...
I totally agree. I think we're employing our offense in a way the coach feels best supports the defense by enforcing low scoring games, mostly because of an aesthetic preference for low scoring games. But.. when you hire a DC to be your head coach.....

Reaction Score

Sat, Sep 10 Maine @ Toledo L 3 - 45 Final

Saturday, September 10, 7:00 PM
Glass Bowl, Toledo, Ohio
Maine
Black Bears
(0-2)

3 - 45
Final
Toledo
Rockets
(2-0)
1 2 3 4 Total
Maine 3 0 0 0 3
Toledo 7 10 21 7 45

Reaction Score
Before you guys run away with this, I'm not sure if my observation is accurate. If we really are doing it intentionally we'd be having less total offensive plays per game than average. I'm not sure that is the case.

What we have, that I'm sure of,is an offense that struggles to score points on sustained offensive drives in the flow of normal game time, but seems to be able to move well in clock running down situations, and an offense that is relying heavily on the QB for yardage production on the ground and air with an offensive line and TEs that don't seem to be able to do much other thsn strsight ahead blocking and are consistently seeing stacked defenses shooting all gaps selling out to stop the run.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I totally agree. I think we're employing our offense in a way the coach feels best supports the defense by enforcing low scoring games, mostly because of an aesthetic preference for low scoring games. But.. when you hire a DC to be your head coach.....
......and your RB lines up on the Red Lot Runway, well....

Reaction Score
I think people had convinced themselves that this was the year we'd see some offensive fireworks.

There haven't been any fireworks, but it sure has been offensive. one out of two aint bad?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Before you guys run away with this, I'm not sure if my observation is accurate. If we really are doing it intentionally we'd be having less total offensive plays per game than average. I'm not sure that is the case.

What we have, that I'm sure of,is an offense that struggles to score points on sustained offensive drives in the flow of normal game time, but seems to be able to move well in clock running down situations, and an offense that is relying heavily on the QB for yardage production on the ground and air with an offensive line and TEs that don't seem to be able to do much other thsn strsight ahead blocking and are consistently seeing stacked defenses shooting all gaps selling out to stop the run.
the tempo guru's talk about 100 plays like it's the holy grail and we're clearly not shooting for anything like that. We seem more concerned with possession time than with # of plays. I'll agree the motivation could be as benign as trying to keep the offense on the field long enough to keep the defense fresh. it's an oft-noted problem for high tempo teams that three and outs really hurt their defense. None of this is revelatory to me, I've been thinking since last year that we were trying to shorten the games and I can see it against triple option teams and high octane teams but I think it works against us against teams like Maine and UVa.

Reaction Score
I'm leaning toward unintentional slow down in play actually. I think its more likely that they want to go fast, but arent practicing fast offensive football very well from the play caller thinking ahead, going through the communication progression, to getting the play calls to the field. It was all evident in the TD play, and @businesslawyer just wrote a good take.

I looked and we ran 73 plays on O according to the Maine box score. Thats not consistent with the observation.

If I had to place a bet, I'm putting the breakdown at the top of the chain - thinking ahead and being prepared in play calling.

For 2 weeks straight, we lined up in a goal line offense situation, called running plays, and it seemed like there was very little thought or preparation what to do from the top down, in case the play actually failed.

I don't know uconn peeps.

I just feel like I'm watching slow football.

Reaction Score
Don't fire coach for beating Virginia = Program defining win.
Hey, that's what you guys are acting like. :p

I get that we are where we are and things are not going to change for a while. I have no idea what the AD was thinking.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
the tempo guru's talk about 100 plays like it's the holy grail and we're clearly not shooting for anything like that. We seem more concerned with possession time than with # of plays. I'll agree the motivation could be as benign as trying to keep the offense on the field long enough to keep the defense fresh. it's an oft-noted problem for high tempo teams that three and outs really hurt their defense. None of this is revelatory to me, I've been thinking since last year that we were trying to shorten the games and I can see it against triple option teams and high octane teams but I think it works against us against teams like Maine and UVa.

The only way you can get that many plays is shortening your pace of play in the play clock to around a max of 15 secs or so to get every play off.

Average is about 70 plays a game, give or take. The vast majority of games usually fall in the 65-75 plays per game.

Don't know soeul, I'm sure Booby has his metrics to look at, because he's a metrics guy, but we got to get better at scoring points.

Reaction Score
The only way you can get that many plays is shortening your pace of play in the play clock to around a max of 15 secs or so to get every play off.

Average is about 70 plays a game, give or take. The vast majority of games usually fall in the 65-75 plays per game.

FWIW to your point from another thread:

Reaction Score

Send that to Bob please

Reaction Score
FWIW to your point from another thread:

I knew I could count on you. Lol. I

See, I'm not sure whats going on. I get the feeling we're slowing down the game butvwere running more snaps than the other teams?

Focused on maintaining posession as seoul noted? Probably. Got to look at TOP and compare there. Are we holding the ball on offense longer than opponents but not scoring points? Thst might explain things.

Bottom line is we are struggling to score points. How about our scoring by quarter? It must be insanely skewed to the 4th quarter. Why?

Reaction Score
I knew I could count on you. Lol.

See, I'm not sure whats going on. I get the feeling we're slowing down the game butvwere running more snaps than the other teams?

Focused on maintaining posession as seoul noted? Probably. Got to look at TOP and compare there. Are we holding the ball on offense longer than opponents but not scoring points?

YTD TOP:
UConn 98:02 (Maine - 38:16, Navy - 30:13, UVA 31:33)
Opp 81:58 (Maine - 23:44, Navy - 29:27, UVA 28:27)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
YTD TOP:

This time of possession shouldn't come as a shock to anyone, since we are so run-heavy. Passing teams will typically be lower on the TOP stat in a close game. Maybe it is a little surprising in the Navy game, but the other two sound about right. I still think we need to hurry it up and work from the gun...

Reaction Score
YTD TOP:

If I ever decide to write a book, I want you as my editor.

Well, there you have it.

Maybe what's happening is a failure to adhere to the old Bill Parcells rule of thumb, that for every 100 yards gained from scrimmage you should average 7 points?

Tough team to figure out through 3 games this 2016 Husky team.

I remember being very annoyed that we managed only 3 points through 3 quarters on Sat, but I think we only had a buck and change of total offense.

Most of the TD drive yardage came on UVA penalties.

I hate cheering for zebra laundry.

Reaction Score
The sad reality and the simplest thing that explains the most is that our offensive team - both coaches and players just aren't very good.

The good news is that there are plenty things to improve on, and it is a team game - the ultimate team sport if you ask me, and this is a team that plays together and has a solid social, academic, and psychological, and physical fitness foundation.

The gaffe at the end of the Navy game could easily have caused some mutiny feelings, but that clearly didn't happen.

We're 2-1 and I really don't expect any of our games to be much different than the first 3 regardless of opponent.

Reaction Score
They have certainly had some bad moments.

They are also 2-1.

Call me crazy, but UConn isn't in a position to fire their football coach off a win against Virginia.

Whaler, I finally got you to drink the Koolaide! LOL. You are obviously right about the fire Diaco krapola but even CC says... GET THE DAMN LEAD OUT OF THE BALLOON! Hoping to see an offensive breakout one of these days when it all comes together! The offense needs to play with CONFIDENCE!

The season could go either way. I like what I see in conditioning, perseverance, physical and mental toughness, team chemistry and guts. If the offense begins to click and we stop giving up long pass plays, it could be a special season. If not we could be in for another very long season. Only time will tell.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
While Benedict may have a say in who Diaco employs...do you really think he can change the coaches philosophy?
Have you met our new AD?

I personally believe he could turn Waylon into a Republican.

Reaction Score
Have you met our new AD?

I personally believe he could turn Waylon into a Republican.

The dichotomy between Benedict and Diaco is pretty funny. I can't imagine how their conversations go. Both are charismatic but in completely different ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom