So much pure gold here right now | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So much pure gold here right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
So the betting public believes, apparently properly, that we are one of the five worst teams in all of FBS. You apparently think this should be our expectation.
Folks who were expecting 8-9 wins this year were probably engaging in wishful thinking (and/or over-rating the significance of some of last year's wins). I believe Alan Greenspan would call this irrational exuberance.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So the betting public believes, apparently properly, that we are one of the five worst teams in all of FBS. You apparently think this should be our expectation.

What in the holy hell are you talking about?

Reaction Score
Diaco style of football is fine if you got surperior athletes across both offense and defense. They can play conservative and still win due to overwhelming better talent. UConn has no such luxury. UConn has to use smoke and mirror type of style to be successful like Boise State etc. The problem with Diaco is he is coaching like he has Alabama type of talent.

Whaler - you need a need hobby vs cheering for UConn and giving UConn fans headaches. UConn deserves a better football program than the crap we are seeing on the field now. If it is possible at a place like Boise, it is possible here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Folks who were expecting 8-9 wins this year were probably engaging in wishful thinking (and/or over-rating the significance of some of last year's wins). I believe Alan Greenspan would call this irrational exuberance.

I didn't predict 8 wins. What I did expect is that, three years into the current regime, we would be better than a three point home win against one of the worst teams in the country, and needing a blown 20 yard field goal and a gift from the opposing coach to get that 3 point win.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Diaco style of football if you got surperior athletes across both offense and defense. They can play conservative and still win due to overwhelming better talent. UConn has no such luxury. UConn has to use smoke and mirror type of style to be successful like Boise State etc. The problem with Diaco is he is coaching like he has Alabama type of talent.

Whaler - you need a need hobby vs cheering for UConn and giving UConn fans headaches. UConn deserves a better football program than the crap we are seeing on the field now. If it is possible at a place like Boise, it is possible here.

Yep UConn will totally be better off without me as a fan.

The last thing UConn needs is people who show up and stay until the end no matter what.

What UConn needs is more people who aren't here demanding an outcome they feel they 'deserve'.

I'll let you in on a secret - nobody 'deserves' anything. Everybody has scholarships and they play the games on the field. I'm not sure why you think you are entitled to MORE THAN A FRIGGING WIN TODAY - but trust me you aren't.

Reaction Score
Not sure if this thread is a attention seeking cry for help, or a much needed dose of reality.

Either way I am pissed at myself for opening it in the first damn place.

Reaction Score
Yep UConn will totally be better off without me as a fan.

The last thing UConn needs is people who show up and stay until the end no matter what.

What UConn needs is more people who aren't here demanding an outcome they feel they 'deserve'.

I'll let you in on a secret - nobody 'deserves' anything. Everybody has scholarships and they play the games on the field. I'm not sure why you think you are entitled to MORE THAN A FRIGGING WIN TODAY - but trust me you aren't.

I got news for you too. When no one gives a crap about UConn needs to get better, UConn should just give up football.

No one is expecting UConn becoming PSU overnight. Do we have the opportunity to build a team that's exciting playing up tempo like 75% of teams in college? Yeah I think we deserve that. Most of us aren't idiots. We are realistic with our expectations. What we are seeing on the field is just miserble. That's not asking for too much.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No one is expecting UConn becoming PSU overnight. Do we have the opportunity to build a team that's exciting playing up tempo like 75% of teams in college? Yeah I think we deserve that. Most of us aren't idiots. We are realistic with our expectations. What we are seeing on the field is just miserble. That's not asking for too much.

If you think it's miserable to beat an ACC team more power to you. If they punched in last week would it miserable at 3-0 too?

Would one yard make it not miserable play?

Reaction Score
I think the misery stems from seeing what could be. If we could just clean up the mismanagement and do more of what works and less of what doesn't, we'd be 3-0 and more fun too watch. It is the the lack of enjoyment that people dislike. Each game is like getting a series of paper cuts.

Reaction Score
If you think it's miserable to beat an ACC team more power to you. If they punched in last week would it miserable at 3-0 too?

Would one yard make it not miserable play?
Eeking out a win against a horrible ACC team that hasn't won a road game in four years and has a first year coach, I thought we'd be further along in year 3.

I expected to compete for the division title, at least be in the mix. Doesn't look like we're there. Just get back to a bowl game and keep momentum going. Everyone knows this Coach ain't going anywhere even if we don't win another game.

Reaction Score
We are realistic with our expectations.
Some are and some aren't. Are you watching the O-Line or just ignoring what you see? - There are issues whether it's pass protection or run blocking. BS was back to happy feet again today. I'm not blasting the players, it is what it is at this point in the season. Great weather, good tailgating, fair crowd - take the 2-1 and move on. It was still better than a lot of ways to spend a day. Looking forward to next week and a chance to make OJ.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Diaco isn't going anywhere based off his won lost record. Only 2 things will get him out of this position without another job. 1. a disagreement with The AD or his department or 2. Continued low attendance that puts him in a position to do something that he doesn't want - like a new offensive coordinator or philosophy. My bet is 2 will cause 1 in about 2 years.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Whaler11 is a rational, dispassionate fan. Whether or not you think that's an oxymoron, he's probably better off than a lot of us because of it. And, of course, he's right. For me, if I'm going to argue one week that the eye test was better than the score, I have to accept the next week when the opposite is true. I'll count the wins/losses when the season's over. For now, I just want to feel good watching them play. I've seen flashes so far but I really did think they were further along.

Reaction Score
Some are and some aren't. Are you watching the O-Line or just ignoring what you see? - There are issues whether it's pass protection or run blocking. BS was back to happy feet again today. I'm not blasting the players, it is what it is at this point in the season. Great weather, good tailgating, fair crowd - take the 2-1 and move on. It was still better than a lot of ways to spend a day. Looking forward to next week and a chance to make OJ.

Our OL sucks. They are not protecting or blocking, which makes it even more maddening that we play so damn conservative. When you got a bad OL, we need to get the ball out of QB's hands ASAP. The fact we don't call enough quick slants, short passes to RBs or TEs, or quick timing passes out of spread is even more crazy. We got two really good playmakers in Newsome and Thomas, and we aren't using them enough.

Reaction Score
Here is what schools like Cincinnati and Houston do well. Hire Briles, Sumlin, fire a dud in Levine and hire Herman.

Fire Minter hire Dantonio, Kelly, Butch Jones. If Tubberville struggles again how long do they stick with him.
Now if they can change coaches almost every three years and be as successful as they are nowadays, why can't we?

Everyone here expected that Diaco would bolt if given a bigger stage. Does he plan on being a lifer here? If so, snow.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Whaler11 is a rational, dispassionate fan. Whether or not you think that's an oxymoron, he's probably better off than a lot of us because of it. And, of course, he's right. For me, if I'm going to argue one week that the eye test was better than the score, I have to accept the next week when the opposite is true. I'll count the wins/losses when the season's over. For now, I just want to feel good watching them play. I've seen flashes so far but I really did think they were further along.

I get being frustrated and I get being bored.

I guess I'm interested in realistic solutions. For example - getting the ball to the tight ends more often rather than fire the coach who they can't afford to fire and won the frigging game.

Reaction Score
Our OL sucks. They are not protecting or blocking, which makes it even more maddening that we play so damn conservative. When you got a bad OL, we need to get the ball out of QB's hands ASAP. The fact we don't call enough quick slants, short passes to RBs or TEs, or quick timing passes out of spread is even more crazy. We got two really good playmakers in Newsome and Thomas, and we aren't using them enough.

I'm amazed we haven't recruited OL better. The pitch is a lineman's dream. "Yeah our current guys suck and you can start day 1 or after a redshirt freshman year. We like to run the football a lot so you'll be going downhill most of the time and it will be your time to shine"

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
They are one bad playcall from 3-0 and there are people claiming the coach is going to get fired.

A 3.5 point favorite won by 3. I'd say maybe don't burn down the stadium.
Uh, are you promoting optimism? That just seeems so wrong.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

I guess I'm interested in realistic solutions. For example - getting the ball to the tight ends more often rather than fire the coach who they can't afford to fire and won the frigging game.
Check - no argument from me, you're like the BY conscience. Probably 'cause you spend more time looking at the broader CFB landscape (certainly more than I do any way). I'm starting to realize that there is bad with the good with BrS. It may be a function of ol play, and RJ's inability to pass block but BrS is one-read and tuck and he runs with his eyes down. Those TE's are usually gonna be 2nd and 3rd reads although we did hit some nice TE seam routes last year. That end zone pick today was pretty obviously thrown in frustration.. it just seems to be one or two plays every week that max out our margin for error because we're still trying to shorten the game.

Reaction Score

How about not trying to pass at the end of 1st half with 35 seconds left when you're pinned inside your own 15?

It's one thing if were simply not good enough, but every game there are multiple head scratches from this Coach. How about not running the ball 3 straight times before Puyols game winner forcing UVA to burn all their timeouts.

I sometimes feel like he is getting on the job training here while he bides his time waiting for another job.

Reaction Score
I'm amazed we haven't recruited OL better. The pitch is a lineman's dream. "Yeah our current guys suck and you can start day 1 or after a redshirt freshman year. We like to run the football a lot so you'll be going downhill most of the time and it will be your time to shine"

I am amazed too. It is also amazing why we don't run a spread like rest of CFB. I am watching Maryland vs. UCF with both using the spread. Last I checked weather in Maryland aren't that much different than CT.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me get this right. All of Diaco's BS talk, the close game against Maine, the loss against Navy, and almost ending UVA's 4 year road skid, didn't bother you?

Whaler is proud of himself because he found a way to be on both sides of the Diaco issue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How about not trying to pass at the end of 1st half with 35 seconds left when you're pinned inside your own 15?

It's one thing if were simply not good enough, but every game there are multiple head scratches from this Coach. How about not running the ball 3 straight times before Puyols game winner forcing UVA to burn all their timeouts.

I sometimes feel like he is getting on the job training here while he bides his time waiting for another job.

There is no doubt there are some simple strategies that elude this staff at this point.

That kind of stuff doesn't seem that hard to fix to me.

When you hire a first time head coach you deal with some growing pains. It isn't ideal - but when you compare it to the P era... there is an enthusiasm and energy a first time head coach brings that has value too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom