So, How Deep Will We Go? | The Boneyard

So, How Deep Will We Go?

How deep a run will we make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've had early success, mid season slump in the heart of Texas, a tough loss to Louisville, and a Donkey Stomping of Temple.

Question is, where do you see us in March?

Be honest - as if all of your money was bet on the result.

I went with Sweet 16, although I'm not sure we're a top 16 team right now - I figure round of 32 based on talent and effort, and Sweet 16 based on Bazz's will alone, if nothing works. Beyond that it's really gravy this season.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Texas has been mean to us. How unlucky is it that the FF is in Texas this year...

Reaction Score
Until we get to 23 wins I'm not taking anything for granted. Bazz is the only player I trust to show up big every game....Daniels is getting there though. In the tourney Bazz can maybe get us through the first weekend after that he will need big time help.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We are not a lock for the tournament at this point. What if the AAC gets 3 bids? Or 2?

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Oh will get in!

I think the sweet 16 would be very respectable, but it'll be tough unless we win some of our games we have left againest cincy SMU Memphis ect to help our seeding.

Reaction Score
Totally depends on seeding. If they slide in as an 8 or 9 they won't be around very long unless they draw a particularly vulnerable 1 seed in game two.

Reaction Score
I feel this team has a lot of upside, and there's no reason why many of the players on the team can't show some improvement as the season goes on. The players, IMO, who need to show the most improvement for this team to make a deep March run are Brimah and Nolan.

Hard to imagine how much better Bazz can get. Daniels needs to simply play at the level we've seen him play on a more consistent basis. RB still has quite a bit of upside is well, but also needs to play at his highest level we've seen more consistently. I think NG is nearing his ceiling, needs to bring it every game, and his teammates need to do a better job of finding him. Kromah is what he is, which is a very good college player. It would help if Omar can get back on track, but I'm not sure if that will happen this season or not.

It goes without saying, that the key players for any good team must perform at a relatively high level in the postseason if there's any chance for them advancing to the level that they should in the tournament. But the key to this team advancing further than most will expect, lies with how much Brimah and Nolan can improve by the end of this season. If these two can defend the post, rebound and become enough of an inside threat that they need to be guarded, this team can be a very dangerous one.

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
We are not a lock for the tournament at this point. What if the AAC gets 3 bids? Or 2?

What team is a lock at this point? Maybe Cuse and Zona, assuming neither completely implodes. Who else?

If it started today the AAC would get 4-5 bids: UL, Memphis, UConn, Cincy and maybe SMU.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Based on what I've seen so far, I'd say we will win one game and then all bets are off. I can also say that nobody will want to see this team in their bracket. It we're seeded between 5-7 or so (my best guess), I think this team looks very scary. The reality is that UConn can lose to anyone in the field or beat anyone in the field on a given day. We're a guard oriented team, if the 3's are falling and we get some steals, whoever we play is in trouble. If not, and if we get killed on the boards, we could be doomed.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Seeding is huge to get us to SS/EE but beyond that imo it's going to come down to DD. When he is a legit second threat, we are unstoppable. I think it was great to see Bazz take over in the beginning. That will lead to early wide open looks that DD (and Niels) can make, which will serve his confidence well. I think we are starting to realize that kid needs to come out strong or else he'll shrink away and struggle.

Reaction Score
UConn will likely be seeded between 5 and 8 and will not be a team anyone wants to play. That said, the first decent team that UConn faces that has guards that can partially contain Shabaz and big, physical post players who can knock Daniels off his game, which has been the case, UConn is out. Call it Sweet 16 when UConn hits a team of that combination. Alternatively, UConn gets knocked out in the first round when Stuart is picked to ref the game and he gives Daniels two fouls and ejects Ollie before the national anthem is sung.

caw

Reaction Score
As always, well except when UConn has truly dominate teams, it will depend on matchups and seeding. A lot will depend on how long UConn can avoid teams with brutish big men like Zona, UK, KU and even Florida. Not saying UConn can't beat them, but chances drop against teams with height and skill in the post.

caw

Reaction Score
UConn will likely be seeded between 5 and 8 and will not be a team anyone wants to play. That said, the first decent team that UConn faces that has guards that can partially contain Shabaz and big, physical post players who can knock Daniels off his game, which has been the case, UConn is out. Call it Sweet 16 when UConn hits a team of that combination. Alternatively, UConn gets knocked out in the first round when Stuart is picked to ref the game and he gives Daniels two fouls and ejects Ollie before the national anthem is sung.

How many teams have that combination? I think a mobile big is more important in defending Daniels. Someone like Roscoe. Now a brutish big can bully Daniels on the glass, but then would have to defend the pick and pop. A zone that is active enough could also work.

Reaction Score
Nothing against the OP cause we're all thinking it in the back of our mind, but I can't stand threads like this before Selection Sunday. The most important part of the tourney is matchups, especially if you're not a top 5ish team that could arguably win on talent alone. Without knowing the matchups, what's the point?

The only "predictions" we can realistically entertain right now are the rest of the regular season and a postseason seeding. That being said, I'll predict an 8-4 finish with a split v Cincy, Memphis stealing one here, loss at Ville and one more WTF loss that will hopefully give us karma for a WTF win in March (that's how it works right?) That should be good for a 6/7 seed especially if we can get another marquee win in the league tourney. From there, give me a 2011-type bracket or a chance to play at MSG and that's all I can ask for.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
If I had to guess right now, I see a 6 or 7 seed. Which means they would be ranked in the 20's by the time of the final buzzer of the SEC Tournament Final.

That said, I think the Round of 32 is probable. Whether they win on the weekend depends on which 2/3 seed they play. If UConn is a low 7, I think they are cleaning out their lockers come Monday. If they are seeded in the 6's or high 7's, they have a much better chance to pull the upset of a top 12 team. This also depends on opponent. UConn must shoot over the zone because they can't beat it at the free-throw line (Daniels should own the shot in the middle of the zone. I have no idea why he doesn't). If UConn's long range offense is on, they could absolutely beat the zone, but they need a better Half Court zone offense and need to recognize the zone better on the fly.

Ultimately though it's their defensive rebounding that has been exposed as a fatal flaw. Unless Nolan is finally unleashed (as Coach Ollie has intimated) or Brimah can gain better control of his body, I'm sorry to say that it won't matter who the 2/3 seed is. Of course, a 3 seed has been known to lose in the first round every now and again, so they could be playing a 14 seed too.

Reaction Score
This team will be between a 4-6 seed.

If we get the 4 out west, books the raising the of banner #4.

Husky25

Reaction Score
This team will be between a 4-6 seed.

If we get the 4 out west, books the raising the of banner #4.
So you predict UConn potentially rising to a #13-16 national ranking? I'm a bit skeptical about that. I think a few ill-placed losses keeps them in the 20's. UConn still has to play Cinci twice and Louisville in the YUM! Center.

Reaction Score
So you predict UConn potentially rising to a #13-16 national ranking? I'm a bit skeptical about that. I think a few ill-placed losses keeps them in the 20's. UConn still has to play Cinci twice and Louisville in the YUM! Center.
I said between 4-6 seed, national ranking does not dictate seed. Prior to our loss to Lville Jerry Palm had us as a 5 seed, currently now a 7th. With the remaining schedule we could be 26-5 with wins over Florida, 2x Memphis, Harvard, Cincy, Lville, SMU, IU and BU (they will be a tourney team).

With that resume a 4 seed is not of contention.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I said between 4-6 seed, national ranking does not dictate seed. Prior to our loss to Lville Jerry Palm had us as a 5 seed, currently now a 7th. With the remaining schedule we could be 26-5 with wins over Florida, 2x Memphis, Harvard, Cincy, Lville, SMU, IU and BU (they will be a tourney team).

With that resume a 4 seed is not of contention.
No it doesn't but it is a good indication.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
From the very beginning I felt that a sweet 16 run would be fantastic. I think probably we are one of the 20 best teams in the nation. Depending on the matchups and bracket, we could flame out in the 2nd round or make it to the elite 8. I've always believed that making the sweet 16 just 1 year out from the NCAA ban with a 2nd year HC would be a great accomplishment. I still believe that. Just because we demolished a pretty bad Temple team doesn't do anything to increase my confidence that we will make a deep run. Beating Memphis was great. Beat Cinci (and SMU/Houston) and I'll re-evaluate...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The reality is that UConn can lose to anyone in the field or beat anyone in the field on a given day. We're a guard oriented team, if the 3's are falling and we get some steals, whoever we play is in trouble.

I agree, we are so jump-shot dependant. When we're on we can beat anyone, OTOH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom