So everyone who still thinks basketball matters... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So everyone who still thinks basketball matters...

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
College basketball at the highest levels isn't about regular season. If you are playing at a national level not a living soul on this earth cares if you win 25 games in a season. NO-BOD-EE! Haven't since the NCAA tourney went to 64 teams. If that is what you want to brag about, watch the MAAC or the NEC. Twenty-five wins is a big deal there. What matters is what you do come March. Pitt has done squat. West Virginia has had as many final four runs in the modern era as, oh, George Mason. There next one will make them equal to Oklahoma State. Syracuse at least has a title to its name. As I said, they rode Carmelo as far as they can ride him. Boeheim rode him all the way to the Hall of Fame. Final Fours in 1996 and especially 1987 are about as relevent as West Virginia's 1959 Final Four. And with the exception of the 3 Final Fours in 35 years, the Orange have never been past the Sweet 16. I guess we have a different definition of "elite."

I completely disagree. It's about consistently getting into the tournament, which is about the regular season. Any team that is almost always in the tournament, and gets to the sweet 16 or beyond with some regularity, is an elite team. Take a look. Very few teams can make this claim over long periods of time. Teams that make infrequent but deep runs, like Oklahoma State behind "Big Country", are quickly forgotten. Nobody forgets Syracuse. I'd say they are top ten for instant recognition as a basketball power. Consistent success over time is what matters, not final fours.

Reaction Score
College basketball at the highest levels isn't about regular season. If you are playing at a national level not a living soul on this earth cares if you win 25 games in a season. NO-BOD-EE! Haven't since the NCAA tourney went to 64 teams. If that is what you want to brag about, watch the MAAC or the NEC. Twenty-five wins is a big deal there. What matters is what you do come March. Pitt has done squat. West Virginia has had as many final four runs in the modern era as, oh, George Mason. There next one will make them equal to Oklahoma State. Syracuse at least has a title to its name. As I said, they rode Carmelo as far as they can ride him. Boeheim rode him all the way to the Hall of Fame. Final Fours in 1996 and especially 1987 are about as relevent as West Virginia's 1959 Final Four. And with the exception of the 3 Final Fours in 35 years, the Orange have never been past the Sweet 16. I guess we have a different definition of "elite."
Common on, this is ridiculous, they are easily elite by any definition. They're ranked 5th in the preseason polls. One of the few Big East teams with a sizable edge over UConn head to head in basketball.

Reaction Score
Common on, this is ridiculous, they are easily elite by any definition. They're ranked 5th in the preseason polls. One of the few Big East teams with a sizable edge over UConn head to head in basketball.

Such a deliberate attempt to tweak us that I thought better of responding further . . . .

Reaction Score
I really still want to know who these 50 interchangeable programs are, because I thought about it and got to a list of about 10 then got stumped.

Reaction Score
You were right up until the last sentence. Two fewer banners /= sizeable edge.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to tweak anyone, I just acknowledge they have been good for a long time. Last I checked, head to head, it was 50-36 in favor of the Orangemen. Whoever has been at the top, Georgetown, Villanova, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, etc.. Syracuse is always in the mix.

To suggest that UConn is more elite because they won the tourney last season is also ridiculous. Is UConn more elite than Kentucky? Kentucky hasn't won a national championship since 1998. Or is Florida more elite than UConn? They won back to back championships in 2006 and 2007. Or is UCLA still an elite program? These kinds of comparisons are subjective.

Reaction Score
I'm not trying to tweak anyone, I just acknowledge they have been good for a long time. Last I checked, head to head, it was 50-36 in favor of the Orangemen. Whoever has been at the top, Georgetown, Villanova, Pitt, UConn, Louisville, etc.. Syracuse is always in the mix.

To suggest that UConn is more elite because they won the tourney last season is also ridiculous. Is UConn more elite than Kentucky? Kentucky hasn't won a national championship since 1998. Or is Florida more elite than UConn? They won back to back championships in 2006 and 2007. Or is UCLA still an elite program? These kinds of comparisons are subjective.

How many of those loses to syr were after Jc came to Uconn?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

How about taking a look at the numbers then.

National Championships 3 - 1

Final Fours 4 - 4
Elite 8s 10 - 7 (only 2 since 1990!)
Sweet 16s 16 - 19
Big East Regular Season Titles 10 - 8
Big East Championship Titles 7 - 5

If you can't look at and say which is the better program you're just either a Syracuse fan or a moron (not mutually exclusive).

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Ack. They win "games". Winning championships is nearly irrelevant. Pitt has had a consistent to 25 basketball team for many years. 10 straight trips to the NCAA tournament, a record our Huskies cannot match. Yes they underperform in the tournament. Who cares? There are certainly not 50 comparable programs.

Multiple publications consistently place Pitt among the top programs in football and basketball combined. UConn rates well on this scale as well.
Pitt basketball may also be viewed as having some potential in the future, with a younger coach and newer facilities. I know there is plenty of doubt, even on our board, about a future minus JC.

Reaction Score

Final Fours 4 - 4
Sweet 16s 16 - 19

If you can't look at and say which is the better program you're just either a Syracuse fan or a moron (not mutually exclusive).
Sorry you can't deal with a fact like head to head records. However, I did not insult anyone did I? It's funny what someone will say hiding behind a PC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Sorry you can't deal with a fact like head to head records. However, I did not insult anyone did I? It's funny what someone will say hiding behind a PC.

It is a pointless argument. They are both immediately recognizable as elite programs today. Anything else is just subjective opinion.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

I really can't tell if you are you just trolling UConn?

Syracuse has 2 Elite 8s since 1990!!!

2 Elite 8s in the last 20 years. Let that sink in.

Syracuse is definitely an elite program, there's no question about it.

But come crunch time in the tourney...the cream always, rises to the top.

Reaction Score
Go to the Syracuse board. They still think Georgetown, Villanova and St Johns are their rivals. A good portion of their fanbase appears to think we're Uconn circa 1984, and just a flash in the pan. The disdain for us is comical. It must be tough to see a team go from cellar dweller to completely surpassing you over a 25 year period.

The sad part is the joy they seem to be taking in the destruction of the Big East, and the teams left behind.

Reaction Score

Final Fours 4 - 4
Sweet 16s 16 - 19

When you guys play Bowling Green for the MAC title....will it be on SNY?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
When you guys play Bowling Green for the MAC title....will it be on SNY?

Syracuse has officially crossed over into the Mississippi State Zone.

Reaction Score
Interestingly I would have thought that BCU would consider Syracuse more competitive since both schools are populated by mediocre, pretentious, douches whose parents are willing to spend 2.5x what they could get for essentially the same education at any of the 25 best public universities. The primary difference between the two schools is that Syracuse women are better looking and sluttier.

LOL. this is a classic!!!!!!!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

That part is definitely an exaggeration. If they didn't win it, he would essentially be Eddie Sutton, who yes, is also in the Hall of Fame.

Reaction Score
Go to the Syracuse board. They still think Georgetown, Villanova and St Johns are their rivals. A good portion of their fanbase appears to think we're Uconn circa 1984, and just a flash in the pan. The disdain for us is comical. It must be tough to see a team go from cellar dweller to completely surpassing you over a 25 year period.

The sad part is the joy they seem to be taking in the destruction of the Big East, and the teams left behind.

UConn surpassed them both in basketball AND football. Lacrosse is next.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

Just ask BC.

Reaction Score
And the point of this post is what? That Uconn, a HUGE basketball school, should drop the sport or the fans should not watch or care? Not going to happen.

I'm old enough to have been around for Uconn's first years in th BE (went to the first BE tourney in Providence). There was talk of Uconn dropping out of the BE because they couldn't compete with the likes of Providence and others. Things can change: 30 years latter we have 3 national championships.
We built a stadium and practice facility. Uconn is Div 1 in football for the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom