So Carolina vs Miss State | Page 8 | The Boneyard

So Carolina vs Miss State

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Coaches ignore foul against Coates in last seconds after calling Miss St for every touch. And Davis runs over Miss St player too. Terrible

I watched the replay when I got home as players blocked my view on both plays. Coates did foul, but Schaefer could also have been called for a moving screen when Davis ran her over. Let's be honest, officiating in WBB leaves a lot to be desired.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What is surprising to me is that the officials did such a poor job on national television and one of the them is rated as one of the best in WBB. In a game that physical, MS shot less than 10 free throws and SC shot over 20. However, if Vivians had played a to her potential I believe MS would have won handily. A team can't miss that many layups and free throws against a good team on the road and expect to win. So, in spite of the, imo, poor officiating, MS has itself to blame for the loss.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Great win for SC! Wasn't the prettiest game but man what a fun game. I said last year that Miss State would be better this year after more time playing together and boy did they prove it.

Tonight was great because it was a tournament like environment between two very good teams playing in a CONFERENCE game that mattered.. slander the SEC, the playing style, the offenses and defenses all you want but very few places put on a show like SC does... tonight was great for the game overall and it was exactly the kind of game that should be highlighted on "Big Monday".

I really like this Miss State team, they are gritty and attack you the entire game. Good luck to the teams that have to face them in the tournament!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Another thing I noticed... MSU is a BIG team.. lots of size at Forward with Richardson and Chapel.. plus true centers Okorie (6'5) and McCowan (6'7") OFF THE BENCH... for once, I think we were overwhelmed size wise and had to find a different way to win.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Take it from someone who was COURT SIDE! She was moving so Davis actually got screwed over for that foul.
you sure you wasnt looking down at your phone... posting a comment on the BY?
spl534338_006_zpsf34e9788.jpg

Reaction Score
you sure you wasnt looking down at your phone... posting a comment on the BY?
spl534338_006_zpsf34e9788.jpg
I'm pretty sure the game was over and I was walking to my car but I love the gif! Lol

Reaction Score
Great win for SC! Wasn't the prettiest game but man what a fun game. I said last year that Miss State would be better this year after more time playing together and boy did they prove it.

Tonight was great because it was a tournament like environment between two very good teams playing in a CONFERENCE game that mattered.. slander the SEC, the playing style, the offenses and defenses all you want but very few places put on a show like SC does... tonight was great for the game overall and it was exactly the kind of game that should be highlighted on "Big Monday".

I really like this Miss State team, they are gritty and attack you the entire game. Good luck to the teams that have to face them in the tournament!
Great game! I'm envious - this time of year is "zzzzzzz..." in UCONN's comference.

Reaction Score
What is surprising to me is that the officials did such a poor job on national television and one of the them is rated as one of the best in WBB. In a game that physical, MS shot less than 10 free throws and SC shot over 20. However, if Vivians had played a to her potential I believe MS would have won handily. A team can't miss that many layups and free throws against a good team on the road and expect to win. So, in spite of the, imo, poor officiating, MS has itself to blame for the loss.

Vivians didn't necessarily play bad she just had to work for every single shot possible including that greatly contested shot by Gray. Davis and Gray made it very hard for her. If the two teams meet again I'm sure Davis and cuevas will be on the game so the same could be said for SC

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Surprised to see only 13,000 as the attendance. A great number..... but still thought their would have been more. Im sure a Sunday afternoon game would have done better.

Wow, even LaChina Robinson — one of the most congenial, conflict-averse commentators out there — took a rip at the refs, incurring the wrath of Gamecock Nation in the process:

Those chickenheads better watch themselves :mad::mad:

Reaction Score
A great game, questionable officiating impacting the game (again).

GCs did a GREAT job on Vivians, took her COMPLETELY out of her game. She did manage 12 points, but that was on 4-16 shooting. She was really rushing her shots, and that blown layup was telling; yeah, it was mildly contested, but there is no excuse for missing that shot at that time if you are supposed to be a Star.

I think everyone found out that MSU is for real, even though they lost. Two fewer whistles on their bigs and the outcome is different. As for USC, they owe their thanks to Gray, as nobody else outside of Wilson had a significant impact on offense.

The REAL winner in this game? UConn. Geno et al got to see both of these teams go at it without pulling punches; nether coach had anything left in their bag of tricks. This will be useful in a couple of weeks against USC, and in the Tournament if they run into either team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A great game, questionable officiating impacting the game (again).

GCs did a GREAT job on Vivians, took her COMPLETELY out of her game. She did manage 12 points, but that was on 4-16 shooting. She was really rushing her shots, and that blown layup was telling; yeah, it was mildly contested, but there is no excuse for missing that shot at that time if you are supposed to be a Star.

I think everyone found out that MSU is for real, even though they lost. Two fewer whistles on their bigs and the outcome is different. As for USC, they owe their thanks to Gray, as nobody else outside of Wilson had a significant impact on offense.

The REAL winner in this game? UConn. Geno et al got to see both of these teams go at it without pulling punches; nether coach had anything left in their bag of tricks. This will be useful in a couple of weeks against USC, and in the Tournament if they run into either team.

Problem is "tricks" wont beat UConn. Just elite execution as pointed out by Michele Voeple's analysis piece on espnw

Gamecocks win SEC showdown

Admittedly, neither the Gamecocks nor the Bulldogs looked Monday as if they were really quite ready to challenge UConn. The Huskies execute so much better offensively and defensively than anyone else, and that's the standard that some team is going to have to try to match -- or at least come close to -- in order to keep UConn from a fifth straight NCAA championship.

Reaction Score
Surely you are not serious. Teams that have trouble scoring 70 points should not give Uconn trouble. If Uconn can't beat either of these teams they don't deserve a NC. MS did not have an outside game going tonight. That is a strong point for Uconn. Also, they will be at home and I don't think the officiating will be as one sided in favor of SC as it was tonight.

This year's UConn is not invincible. It is all about match ups and hiding your weaknesses. Geno has said as much. There are certain teams UConn should avoid. If UConn gets similar refs in the USC game as in the Tulane game, that will be trouble.

Has UConn played anyone this year that plays Defense like those two teams? I thought ND and Texas played good defense for the most part. USC and MSU are on another level.

This current UConn team, in my opinion, has 3 major weaknesses that can be exploited. They are size, depth, and fouls. All of those are related to a few players, so the chance of all 3 occurring in the same game are higher. It just can't happen against teams like USC or MSU.

In my original post, I stated theses teams would give UConn trouble. I consider a team trouble if you have to play you starters for most of the fourth quarter. I don't know why I would have to be considered not serious for that.

I love this UConn team. There has not been one game in which I didn't feel entertained or satisfied with the performance. I hope Geno can continue mask and duct tape their deficiencies all the way to the championship.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
a foul... one too many cause cause doom for UConn. We need to stop looking at a MissSt/SC game and predicting UConn's outcome against them.

BUT... this is what message board are for

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
MSU is 0-5 on free throws, USC is 5-7.

I noticed that also - 2 MS players missed both foul shots near the end of the 1/2

Reaction Score
MSU is a better team then SC and when they meet in the sec tourney msu will win. SC better score more then 64 points if they want to compete with uconn. SC had trouble just taking the ball out on msu defense so how can they deal with uconns defense which is much better then MSU.

Reaction Score
3/9 vs 21/28 from the foul line. Several close calls vs MS and few vs SC, plus a couple of egregious missed calls. Hometown reffing at its finest.

In most competitive games, men or women, sometime free throws decide the game. MS missed 3/9, lost the game for them.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I know there has been a lot of discussion on the refs in this game (bad calls/non-calls). With that said, I really don't believe the refs cost MS St the game. There offensive execution, particularly down the stretch, was horrible. Vivians and their point guard both failed to step up in the biggest game of the year. MS St's attempts to feed their post players were as inept as I've ever seen. Vivians unbelievably missed a layup and then forced an awkward airball with the game on the line. SC wasn't a whole lot better on offense, but they were just good enough. Absent foul trouble, I don't see either of these teams beating the Huskies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
This year's UConn is not invincible. It is all about match ups and hiding your weaknesses. Geno has said as much. There are certain teams UConn should avoid. If UConn gets similar refs in the USC game as in the Tulane game, that will be trouble.

Has UConn played anyone this year that plays Defense like those two teams? I thought ND and Texas played good defense for the most part. USC and MSU are on another level.

This current UConn team, in my opinion, has 3 major weaknesses that can be exploited. They are size, depth, and fouls. All of those are related to a few players, so the chance of all 3 occurring in the same game are higher. It just can't happen against teams like USC or MSU.

In my original post, I stated theses teams would give UConn trouble. I consider a team trouble if you have to play you starters for most of the fourth quarter. I don't know why I would have to be considered not serious for that.

I love this UConn team. There has not been one game in which I didn't feel entertained or satisfied with the performance. I hope Geno can continue mask and duct tape their deficiencies all the way to the championship.
Uconn did not match up well with Baylor, Maryland, or Florida State. I know Uconn is not invincible but I believe you over estimate the defense of those two teams. Last season MS was rated as a very good defensive team and look what happened when they played Uconn. This Uconn team is just as offensively productive as last season's team. Unless Uconn gets in foul trouble, I don't believe any team will hold them under 70 points. Remember, Uconn is a very good defensive team. It is a home game and I don't see the officiating hampering them as much as it did MS last night. Florida State played really good defense and so did Baylor. As you said yourself, Uconn did not match up well with Baylor, Maryland, or Florida State but they still won and they are MUCH better now. Now knowing that, I hope they don't have to play Baylor again. Maryland weaknesses has been exposed and I believe in a rematch with FS, Uconn would play much better. I stated that you could not be serious because I believe you are overestimating both teams. Both teams are offensively challenged when they play other good teams. Scoring in the sixties won't get it done in the NCAA Tournament, imo.

Reaction Score
In most competitive games, men or women, sometime free throws decide the game. MS missed 3/9, lost the game for them.
Yup. 33% free throws vs 75%. But 33% of 28 would have won it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Agreed that size, depth, and fouls are all issues with UConn, but the greatest of these is fouls.

The first three fouls against Collier in the Tulane game were ticky-tacky at best or not fouls at all. And the calls and non-calls down the stretch of the Miss. State - South Carolina game were ludicrous.

And why on earth was an official in the Tulane game trying to engage Geno in a conversation from all the way across the court? Yeesh.

My advice to Napheesa - don`t reach in when someone else`s player is driving to the hoop. For some officals, that is an automatic foul even if you get all ball or air.

My advice to Gabby - if you don`t have inside position, we all know you can still out jump everyone for the rebound. But most officials don`t know this and will mindlessly call an "over the back" foul. So beware.

And Natalie, be careful not to breathe out there. Someone will blow a whistle and point at you. ;)

Based upon what I have seen thus far, UConn will win it all if they can stay out of foul trouble, and Baylor presents the greatest challenge.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
The refs concern me as well, because one of the things you have to do with Coates & Wilson is step in front of them and take charges, because once they lower their heads, they can't stop, and the refs have to decide whether to call a charge or a block.

REFS are damaging women's basketball Whether this is pre-meditated, favoring the most popular, keeping games close for advertisers or just poor training ?

Reaction Score
REFS are damaging women's basketball Whether this is pre-meditated, favoring the most popular, keeping games close for advertisers or just poor training ?
The refs made several bad calls mostly towards one team. Affected the outcome of the game. Rewatch the game; slo-mo video doesn't lie....

Reaction Score
Watching SC and MS last night, clearly they have size, bench, bulk over my huskies. But I love my huskies just because we are undermanned, undersized and short bench. On any given day or game, any team can be beaten but no one will compete with more heart, more energy, more courage and more spirit than this year UConn team. I love my team !!!:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom