So. Carolina Players Report Cards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So. Carolina Players Report Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well maybe you should watch them before you judge.

Seen highlites and a couple of laughers I tuned out on. Your transfers have played with the team in practice for a year or was there no wait period?

Reaction Score
Seen highlites and a couple of laughers I tuned out on. Your transfers have played with the team in practice for a year or was there no wait period?

They haven't even played half a season yet so yes gelling is still taking place but I expect them to be in full form when SEC play starts today.

Reaction Score
Coates will play her usual C game against us.
Hope you are correct. Have seen Coates play several times and she is a bull! On my first team All American list.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well maybe you should watch them before you judge. Unlike UCONN, ND, Maryland the Entire SC team is new to each other. Wilson and Coates are the only returning starters, Davis was the go to player at her recent school and so far has done pretty well to tone down her volume shooting but she needs to be more efficient and I expect her to do so when sec play starts. Gray has been good so far but her 3point shooting needs to be more efficient especially against UCONN. Harris,HH, and Cliney are the ones to watch out for now that they have adjusted to the college level I expect their play will become better offensively and defensively. As for BCM and Wilson I truly expected more out of them but both have time to improve. Wilson isn't playing bad she just need to be more efficient and hit the boards much more, BCM needs to focus on being more poised and under control and harness her speed and use it when it's needed. Idk about pasties, besides UCONN we've had one of the toughest OOC in the country. There is still High hopes for this team including on Feb. 13 but for now the focus is on the SEC.
Remember those folks judging the USC players are UConn fans. UConn also has only two returning starters, and no All-Americans. It's also depending on two undersized forwards to play against some of the most dominant posts in Div I. Apparently, it is possible for a team to gel in 12 games and for a young, inexperienced team to find its identity.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Coates will play her usual C game against us.

Unless Morgan Tuck is stepping out on the floor I doubt it.. UConn is going to need to double team Coates a lot this year unlike year's past. Coates is playing like the best player on the team...

Reaction Score
Remember those folks judging the USC players are UConn fans. UConn also has only two returning starters, and no All-Americans. It's also depending on two undersized forwards to play against some of the most dominant posts in Div I. Apparently, it is possible for a team to gel in 12 games and for a young, inexperienced team to find its identity.

That is also true but Williams was in the program for 3 years as well as Chong who has for 4 years and Both Williams and Collier went up against Tuck and Stewart last year in practice and they face off against Camara and Stevens this year so I wouldn't expect any less especially when your coach is Geno Auriemma.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That is also true but Williams was in the program for 3 years as well as Chong who has for 4 years and Both Williams and Collier went up against Tuck and Stewart last year in practice and they face off against Camara and Stevens this year so I wouldn't expect any less especially when your coach is Geno Auriemma.
I guess my point is that there are 300+ teams that would like UConn or USC's "problems". :)

Looking forward to another great matchup in February.

Reaction Score
Remember those folks judging the USC players are UConn fans. UConn also has only two returning starters, and no All-Americans. It's also depending on two undersized forwards to play against some of the most dominant posts in Div I. Apparently, it is possible for a team to gel in 12 games and for a young, inexperienced team to find its identity.[/QUOTE
The only "new" player is Dangerfield. The rest have been practicing and playing together previously. Yes, it is still very impressive the way they have came together but it's not like they were completely immersed in a new culture like the transfers and multiple freshman for SC were

Reaction Score
There was a wait period. But last year, there were 4 seniors and a player who ended up transferring (5 players if you can't do the math) that were actually playing, therefore KD and AG did practice but not the same way they are this year with 4 new freshman and their best player last year, along with 4 others gone. The argument that they should almost immediately gel bc of a year of practice is absurd.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Still jelling? How long do you have to play together to jell? And, BTW, can anyone tell me if Coates has gotten over disappearing when challenged? I have not seen a game this year and they have the typical SEC OOC share of patsies.
Patsies? Louisville in Springfield, at Texas, at Duke, UCLA?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well maybe you should watch them before you judge. Unlike UCONN, ND, Maryland the Entire SC team is new to each other. Wilson and Coates are the only returning starters, Davis was the go to player at her recent school and so far has done pretty well to tone down her volume shooting but she needs to be more efficient and I expect her to do so when sec play starts. Gray has been good so far but her 3point shooting needs to be more efficient especially against UCONN. Harris,HH, and Cliney are the ones to watch out for now that they have adjusted to the college level I expect their play will become better offensively and defensively. As for BCM and Wilson I truly expected more out of them but both have time to improve. Wilson isn't playing bad she just need to be more efficient and hit the boards much more, BCM needs to focus on being more poised and under control and harness her speed and use it when it's needed. Idk about pasties, besides UCONN we've had one of the toughest OOC in the country. There is still High hopes for this team including on Feb. 13 but for now the focus is on the SEC.
Um, sorry but your 2 "newbies" had all last season to practice with the team as well as all summer. I would expect that Stevens and Camara will hit the ground running next year for UCONN. So no, their "entire team" is not new to them. They have all had over 1.5 years to practice together...

Reaction Score
Um, sorry but your 2 "newbies" had all last season to practice with the team as well as all summer. I would expect that Stevens and Camara will hit the ground running next year for UCONN. So no, their "entire team" is not new to them. They have all had over 1.5 years to practice together...

How is practicing with Tiffany Mitchell, Khadijah Sessions, Tina Roy, Asia Dozier, Sarah Imovbioh and transfers Jatarie White and Kaydra Duckett last year benifiting them this season? They didn't practice with the 4 freshmen or Tiffany Davis until the fall so yes they needed time to gel with those players. It's like intergrating a whole new team together.

Reaction Score
Unless Morgan Tuck is stepping out on the floor I doubt it.. UConn is going to need to double team Coates a lot this year unlike year's past. Coates is playing like the best player on the team...
I'd be surprised, we'll see if she's changed her game.

Reaction Score
Hope you are correct. Have seen Coates play several times and she is a bull! On my first team All American list.
Agree, she's always been a bull but not against us.

Reaction Score
A nice honest report card. Very useful scouting. It confirms to me that USC guard play is not elite ad therefore, the guard to post connection can be disrupted.

It also seems Wilson has leveled off a bit from potential NPOY and Coates is the real danger.

I assume some opportunistic BYer will push an OOC report card thread which will lead to some fun debate.
What I thought was a little out of wack was the suggestion that with the "toughness of the SEC" on the horizon, some of the more disappointing numbers for a couple of their STARS would actually improve. That doesn't sound logical that playing a supposed improved level of competition, that your numbers would get better.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How is practicing with Tiffany Mitchell, Khadijah Sessions, Tina Roy, Asia Dozier, Sarah Imovbioh and transfers Jatarie White and Kaydra Duckett last year benifiting them this season? They didn't practice with the 4 freshmen or Tiffany Davis until the fall so yes they needed time to gel with those players. It's like intergrating a whole new team together.
Same exact way Batouly and A'zura practicing against Butler, Samuelson, Collier and Williams has helped them. In fact, there have been several comments by current UCONN players exhorting the efforts of the red shirt kids and how much they are being pushed by them. Didn't Gray and Davis practice with the team the entire year and half they had to sit out? Didn't they have since May or so of last year after the previous season ended to work with the "current" players? I would expect that red shirt players who have over a year and a half to play with their "current" teammates would be somewhat accustomed to their teammates and that they would not need the entire next season to get acclimated.

I'm not saying they would play like a well oiled machine. But to say they are brand new is just an excuse IMHO.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Nope. Single coverage for Coates, pressure the entry pass and help on the catch. On Defense Coates will be lifted to at least the high post and put on skates by the UCONN forwards. Like this:
CMLLUYVPJURHNVQ.20161204215339.JPG

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Can Coates jump? Like, over the Storrs phone book, as Geno likes to measure it? If not (and I don't recall observing a notable leap by her), then Gabby will close the 6-inch height differential without breaking a sweat, and there will be virtually no vertical room in which to complete an entry pass.

In the NFL, uber-athletic 5-10 cornerbacks can successfully defend receivers who are taller than Alaina Coates by leaping up to get a hand on the pass. And most NFL quarterbacks can thread the needle more reliably than South Carolina's guards.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
From what I have seen and I watched most of their game yesterday & the Louisville game & the Duke game like 77 times. Coates is playing like the best player on the team for them this year overall. She still doesn't take shots outside of 2 feet but like that shrew Debbie Antonelli said... she doesn't have to. What is still puzzling to me is that they still don't seem to have enough balance in games vs ranked opponents. Its either all guards or all posts. I thought this was the year that would even out. I think they are still working on their new offense. I have seen some good things and some puzzling things in it. Installing a new offense really takes years it can't be done in one season and ran perfectly. Even still I would be surprised if they lost any games in conference. They feast on free throws and the SEC is certainly the place to get those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom