So after last night's game ... POLL | Page 4 | The Boneyard

So after last night's game ... POLL

So after last nights game do you feel better or worse about our prospects this year

• Better, they played hard against a ranked team and came up short

• Worse, a loss is a loss

• Same, the team did not show anything new (or at least not enough)

Results are only viewable after voting.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I think I'm pretty typical 'older' fan in many respects. I was a fan in the Perno days, got excited seeing Calhoun building something when we started knocking of the big boys in the Big East like Cuse and Georgetown, was thrilled when we won the NIT on '88 when honestly no one else in my high school cared, saw the glory years of Husky Hoops in the early to mid-90s when a bad NCAA matchup against UCLA or missed free throws kept us from winning it all. to the title or NIT years of JC and early KO. I used to go to 5 to 7 games a year including occasional road games and definitely conference and NCAA tournament games. I also rearranged my schedule around UCONN to never miss a game. Now I almost never go to games and watch televised games when I don't have anything better to do. The biggest thing for me is that besides Cincinnati, none of our AAC opponents get me psyched to go to games or watch. The lack of player development is also another factor. I don't have money to burn and call me a fair weather fan if you will but the product on the court just isn't sufficient to spend money on. I'm not expecting titles but I do expect the team that's a few years removed from a national title to be able to compete with top schools, not lose by 15-35 points and having posters here pointing out positives in these games. I have a lot of friends who are also UCONN fans and they express the same. A return to the Big East may be our only hope. I'm also a former football season ticket holder and have followed the team since the 1AA days. Granted football never had the success that men's hoops had, but the same malaise has sunk in there.

Reaction Score
I think I'm pretty typical 'older' fan in many respects. I was a fan in the Perno days, got excited seeing Calhoun building something when we started knocking of the big boys in the Big East like Cuse and Georgetown, was thrilled when we won the NIT on '88 when honestly no one else in my high school cared, saw the glory years of Husky Hoops in the early to mid-90s when a bad NCAA matchup against UCLA or missed free throws kept us from winning it all. to the title or NIT years of JC and early KO. I used to go to 5 to 7 games a year including occasional road games and definitely conference and NCAA tournament games. I also rearranged my schedule around UCONN to never miss a game. Now I almost never go to games and watch televised games when I don't have anything better to do. The biggest thing for me is that besides Cincinnati, none of our AAC opponents get me psyched to go to games or watch. The lack of player development is also another factor. I don't have money to burn and call me a fair weather fan if you will but the product on the court just isn't sufficient to spend money on. I'm not expecting titles but I do expect the team that's a few years removed from a national title to be able to compete with top schools, not lose by 15-35 points and having posters here pointing out positives in these games. I have a lot of friends who are also UCONN fans and they express the same. A return to the Big East may be our only hope. I'm also a former football season ticket holder and have followed the team since the 1AA days. Granted football never had the success that men's hoops had, but the same malaise has sunk in there.
I gave you a like because I understand your point of view. But I’m optimistic about the future. We might not make the tournament this year but if we see growth in the team and the following scenario happens I think we will be dangerous next year. A team with Adams returning and hopefully Larrier. No defections from Diarra, Cobb, Carlton, Or Whaley. no decommitments from our incoming. Then add a healthy Gilbert, Wilson and Vitale and that’s a team to be excited about. Will you spend your money on that team?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I gave you a like because I understand your point of view. But I’m optimistic about the future. We might not make the tournament this year but if we see growth in the team and the following scenario happens I think we will be dangerous next year. A team with Adams returning and hopefully Larrier. No defections from Diarra, Cobb, Carlton, Or Whaley. no decommitments from our incoming. Then add a healthy Gilbert, Wilson and Vitale and that’s a team to be excited about. Will you spend your money on that team?

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Will we still be playing Tulane, ECU and Temple? ..... I think your hopes are very optimistic. I don't see either Adams or Larrier coming back and don't think Gilbert will ever play meaningful minutes again. We also still won't have more than a project big man in the middle. So probably not.

Reaction Score

And Polley/Sidney along with the 3 frosh, I would run with that. Of course Adams and Larrier coming back is a huge question mark, though if they have next level dreams it would be best.

Reaction Score
I don't care about results as much as process, and with Ollie there's never a process. It's just a collection of individuals.

You can best see this in the offense, which is always the same thing: high screen, spread the floor and drive. We are easy to prepare for because we have nothing else in the tank beyond that - we just haven't been coached.

It's just as flagrant on the defensive end. Any sort of good ball movement puts us in the blender because, again, we haven't been coached. Our guys do not rotate, do not cover for each other, do not understand how to protect the 3-point line, and give up tons of layups.

Good passing teams (SMU) just eat us up. Wichita State will win by 20+.

I wanted Ollie to be the guy, but he's not. None of the awful stuff we've seen over the last 3 seasons is going to change.

Reaction Score
I don't care about results as much as process, and with Ollie there's never a process. It's just a collection of individuals.

You can best see this in the offense, which is always the same thing: high screen, spread the floor and drive. We are easy to prepare for because we have nothing else in the tank beyond that - we just haven't been coached.

It's just as flagrant on the defensive end. Any sort of good ball movement puts us in the blender because, again, we haven't been coached. Our guys do not rotate, do not cover for each other, do not understand how to protect the 3-point line, and give up tons of layups.

Good passing teams (SMU) just eat us up. Wichita State will win by 20+.

I wanted Ollie to be the guy, but he's not. None of the awful stuff we've seen over the last 3 seasons is going to change.

And worse, the pride and effort still aren't there, even with a bunch of supposedly lunch-pail, high-motor players.

Reaction Score
And worse, the pride and effort still aren't there, even with a bunch of supposedly lunch-pail, high-motor players.
Hard to be a lunchpail guy when the guy setting the bar is a "last one in, first one out" type of boss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom