So after last night's game ... POLL | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So after last night's game ... POLL

So after last nights game do you feel better or worse about our prospects this year

• Better, they played hard against a ranked team and came up short

• Worse, a loss is a loss

• Same, the team did not show anything new (or at least not enough)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction Score
It's hard to win games with poor discipline in execution. The pseudo iso NBA offense with a few token perimeter passes KO runs just reinforces the disjointed, sloppy play IMHO. What the kids did last night is really pick up the intensity attacking the glass and on D (mostly), but they don't play smart and playing smart is very coachable. It's hard to sustain maximum effort for 40 minutes when you shooot yourself in the foot constantly.

While playing smart is coachable some that play stupid aren't. From my point of view they are coaching Jalen Adams to make better decisions, doing so for over 2 years now and he doesn't get that. Let's not forget CV had 4 TO's too and so did Cobb and most everyone from all of these players were forced due to their need to go fast. They all need to slow down, think ahead of their plan to get somewhere. And if you don't get to your destination it never hurts to stop and pass rather than try to make a play on the move.

Reaction Score
They completed so that’s a step in right direction. Looked better then they did vs. Arkansas and Syracuse so I guess a small measure in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I feel better because they played a ranked team pretty tough.

But 5 assists isn't good. Need to get more guys involved in the offense, which would likely carry over to defensive intensity as well. Too many hero plays by Adams and Larrier and not enough ball movement and easy baskets, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I thought they played OK - Arizona certainly didn't light the world on fire. When you get blown out in the last 8 minutes of big games consistently you can't hang your hat on playing quality minutes the first 75% of the game. If Adams and Larrier leave for the NBA after this year so be it. It honestly may be addition by subtraction. Let the incoming recruits build chemistry with Polley, Whaley, Carlton, Wilson and Gilbert if he is fit. There's a lot of scar tissue with Adams and Larrier at this point. Might be best for our new crop to not even have shared the floor with these guys.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I guess I feel a bit better about the team. They competed against a ranked team on the road. But they didn't just lose it in the last part of the game. That first half was horrible with all of those unforced errors and questionable shots. Arizona was no great shakes in the first half, UConn could have taken better advantage.

Reaction Score
That was a winnable game, they choked it in the last 6 minutes.
They didn't choke. Arizona has a lot more quality talent than us. Put Deandre Ayton on UCONN and we wil be undefeated right now and final four bound.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I feel better because they played a ranked team pretty tough.

But 5 assists isn't good. Need to get more guys involved in the offense, which would likely carry over to defensive intensity as well. Too many hero plays by Adams and Larrier and not enough ball movement and easy baskets, in my opinion.
And for that reason my feelings remain unchanged because I know the hero ball and lack of assists isn’t changing anytime soon.

Reaction Score
They didn't choke. Arizona has a lot more quality talent than us. Put Deandre Ayton on UCONN and we wil be undefeated right now and final four bound.

We lose by double digits and you have us one player away from the Final Four. And people wonder why some feel compelled to add some reality to the board. There is still lots to work on to even become a tourney team. Some quality wins would be nice as a first step.

Reaction Score
We lose by double digits and you have us one player away from the Final Four. And people wonder why some feel compelled to add some reality to the board. There is still lots to work on to even become a tourney team. Some quality wins would be nice as a first step.
That 1 player is the best talent and is a very skilled College player. I am not a NBA scout but he will be the first player I will take in the upcoming draft. The kid demands a double team around the basket, can rebound from out of his area, shoot the midrange shot, block shots... yes UCONN would be undefeated and final four bound if they had him. Could you imagine the wide open shots we would get, the spacing would be much better, Gilbert and Adams would have a field day driving to the lane. Defensively he would be the eraser if someone gets beat....
You must still be learning the game Baby bass...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Looks like the dumpster fire crowd is waking up this morning, the numbers are closing

:cool:
They probably drink more during the game.

Reaction Score
wow...what a departure for UCONN , 4 National titles in 18 Years, Final 4's, Elite 8's, discussions on whether we would be a #1 or #2 seed.
Have our expectations been lowered that much?
Now we are excited because we saw stretches of effort last night.....we are happy with "Moral" victories because we kept it close for 35 minutes..only to lose by 15 points in 5 minutes. I didn't really see good basketball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
wow...what a departure for UCONN , 4 National titles in 18 Years, Final 4's, Elite 8's, discussions on whether we would be a #1 or #2 seed.
Now we are excited because we saw stretches of effort last night.....we are happy with "Moral" victories because we kept it close for 35 minutes..only to lose by 15 points in 5 minutes. I didn't really see good basketball.
Mmm, interesting take. Of course others might simply say that we are open to seeing a relatively young team beginning to find themselves.

Appreciate your two cents worth though.

pj

Reaction Score
Bottom line for me is, without Gilbert out, this is not a tourney team and is in fact less talented than less year's team (Larrier, Cobb, and Diarra do not make up for Purvis, Facey, and Brimah). So I know they won't make the tourney, but want to see 40 minutes of intense effort, player development, and growing team chemistry. In the Arizona game, we seemed to see those coming along, so I'm happy.

If Gilbert comes back and Wilson is eligible, they should be NCAA tourney bubble material. So growth right now, especially by the interior players and Larrier, is crucial.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Have you seen our other games this year? This was their best effort of the season against a top 20 team on the road. Sorry we're not the same Championship team of yesteryear.

It's not a "moral victory" but it was good to actually see them competitive against a solid P5 team - wish people would stop chastising others for looking for silver linings in the losses.

Reaction Score
2017-18 UConn Men's basketball is a not quite ready for prime time team. But.... it's only December and they fought hard against a good Arizona squad. If the big men keep improving, fighting in the paint, out working their opponents, this team can go places come March. It felt like there was a little more team chemistry Thursday. A very good sign that these guys are starting to believe in each other. I believe they will make the Big Dance. It might be on a wing and a prayer but I see these guys cheering each other on as the season goes. The team you see now isn't the seasoned, hungry, chip on their shoulder, ready to prove themselves team you'll see in the AAC Tourney.

Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Felt like a better version of the MSU game. Didn't get dominated from tip to final buzzer like Arkansas and Cuse. Still worried we end up 7-7. Arizona to Alabama is a hell of a turn around for two true road games. Wichita State will be ready to pounce. Ollie's never won in Tulsa. Cautiously optimistic we can pick off Auburn, show up in Tulsa, and maybe give Wichita a game. I think I'm back to the morning of the Arkansas game, as opposed to half time of Coppin State, for how I feel about the outlook of this team.
The Wichita game is in Hartford not Tulsa

Reaction Score
... I'm feeling a little better. The team played hard and completed against a team that ought to have been a very tough match up for us. No one likes a loss, but it seems like we are headed in the right direction. I'm still not convinced that we'll be a tournament team, but I have a little more hope this morning.

Too many turnovers particularly Adams who was having difficulty creating off the dribble. Same with Larrier. We obviously need a real floor general directing traffic and take charge of this team. Anderson and Vital aren't true point guards either. Gilbert's hurt and was hoping he would be the guy. We need someone who can penetrate and dish the ball. We are lacking leadership.

Reaction Score
Looks like the dumpster fire crowd is waking up this morning, the numbers are closing

:cool:

UConn avoids getting blown out and you start strutting around like a peacock. UConn had 18 turnovers and only five assists. Yes there were some signs of improvement, but there is still a long long way to go to even be a tournament team.

Reaction Score
Last night was a step in the right direction. Even the sagarin rating jumped about 10 spots. But it was just a small step. The question is, will they keep taking small steps in the right direction? No one knows the answer to that. I am skeptical. Others are optimistic. Whatever.

I will say this, though, if Gilbert rejoins the team and Wilson is declared eligible, Ollie's seat gets hotter because an NCAA bid becomes the minimum acceptable result. Small steps won't be enough. In that scenario, it shouldn't be enough.

Reaction Score

Are you new? "Yes" is the answer. I don't understand this zeal to reaffirm the lowered status of the program all day every day. Superjohn's got that under control. I think people get it by now.

They were down a bucket or so on the road reasonably deep into the second half against a much more talented Arizona team who had a couple guys who we simply did not have the personnel to guard straight up in the post. I don't think anyone's beating off with excitement right now (except maybe Freescooter over the loss) but I don't think it's unreasonable to feel at least marginally better after last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom