SNY Question: Rutgers and UConn Ratings? | The Boneyard

SNY Question: Rutgers and UConn Ratings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Would anyone know the relative rankings of the various UConn and Rutgers shows/games on SNY? My daughter lives across the river from NYC and we were talking SNY. She and other UConn Alum enjoy being able to watch Powerhour, etc.

Reaction Score
When SNY agreed to add the SNY-CT feed last year, it was because of strong UConn ratings.

sportsbusinessdaily had an article about ratings for some random games.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2011/08/29/Media/SNY.aspx

The ability of UConn to get that type of deal is huge. Pres Herbst in her standard talking points hammers home the point of how powerful the UConn brand is in the state and the NY metropolitan area. In addition, UConn's IMG deal pays something like $20 million more than Rutgers.

There's no question that there would not be nearly the hard sell, force carry issues in CT like there will be in NYC and northern New Jersey with Rutgers.

Reaction Score
No ratings comparisons publicly available, but consider these points...

The top 5 rated college football games in the NYC market are all RU games, and something like 7 of the top 10.

SNY carries more RU programming than Uconn programming:

http://web.sny.tv/schedule/programming.jsp#bigeast

All RU sports, including football, have been on SNY since 2008. Uconn football wasn't added until 2010, along with men's basketball. Women's basketball added in 2012. No other Uconn sports on SNY.

Uconn's deal with IMG pays out RU has a smaller deal with IMG, sure, but that's because Nelligan Sports Marketing handles the bulk of RU's sponsorship arrangements. Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment / IMG handled only the stadium naming rights, while IMG is Uconn's sole marketing/sponsorship partner. RU's Nelligan deal is financially substantial.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Let's call a spade a spade - neither school draws appreciable ratings in the metro area.

Reaction Score
No ratings comparisons publicly available, but consider these points...

The top 5 rated college football games in the NYC market are all RU games, and something like 7 of the top 10.

SNY carries more RU programming than Uconn programming:

All RU sports, including football, have been on SNY since 2008. Uconn football wasn't added until 2010, along with men's basketball. Women's basketball added in 2012. No other Uconn sports on SNY.

Uconn's deal with IMG pays out RU has a smaller deal with IMG, sure, but that's because Nelligan Sports Marketing handles the bulk of RU's sponsorship arrangements. Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment / IMG handled only the stadium naming rights, while IMG is Uconn's sole marketing/sponsorship partner. RU's Nelligan deal is financially substantial.

UConn's football and men's basketball games have been shown on SNY since 2008, so this statement is false.

Reaction Score
UConn's football and men's basketball games have been shown on SNY since 2008, so this statement is false.

Through the Big East Network greement with SNY - not exclusive UConn Agreement which was only signed in 2010???

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't see that UConn clearly has a larger, more substantial presence on SNY cannot read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

blitz8ru

Rutgers Fan
Reaction Score
Let's call a spade a spade - neither school draws appreciable ratings in the metro area.
Rutgers-Louisville TV rating in New York City doubles Syracuse-West Virginia (2011)

Syracuse coach Doug Marrone can make all the claims he wants about the Orange being New York City's football team, but the facts simply aren't there to support that contention.

The latest TV ratings from Friday night's two Big East football games show the Rutgers @Louisville game (RU [5-1], UofL [2-4]) on ESPN2 having more than twice the viewers in New York City than the West Virginia @Syracuse game (#11 WVU [5-1], Syracuse [4-2]) on ESPN, a meeting that featured a ranked team (the Mountaineers). Both games started at 8pm.

Rutgers-Louisville drew a 1.45 share in New York City compared to 0.7 for West Virginia-Syracuse, according to the Nielsen ratings released today.

That rating tied for fourth all-time on ESPN2 for a football game viewed in the New York City area. Rutgers has been involved in all five of the top-rated football games in New York City on ESPN2.

Rutgers has also been part of four of the five highest-rated football games in the New York City area on ESPN.

That list is headed by Rutgers-Louisville in 2006, which drew an 8.1 rating, and includes Rutgers-West Virginia in 2006 (6.04);USC-Ohio State in 2009 (3.74); Rutgers-Cincinnati in 2006 (3.62) and South Florida Rutgers in 2007 (3.35).

Syracuse is not in the top 10 of ESPN's list of the most-viewed college football games in New York City.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootb...v_rating_i.html

Rutgers' Top 25 ranking could mean a sellout for Oct. 6 UConn game (2012)

ESPNU has picked up the Rutgers-UConn game, scheduling it for a noon start, and that may only be the beginning of the network's renewed interest in a program that has consistently delivered the New York market.

The Knights' 35-26 victory over Arkansas (Sept 22, 2012) last Saturday earned a 0.9 metered market rating in New York ?the highest ever for ESPNU for a college football game here.

In the designated New York market, four of the five-highest rated college football games on ESPN and the top four on ESPN2 have involved Rutgers. [Rutgers now holds the best ratings for college football in the NYC DMA for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and now SNY]

"Look at the history of how they've fared, and like many other teams when they're good and they're winning, people watch them," said ESPN spokesman Mike Humes. "It obviously helps that they're from a large market."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/09/rutgers_top_25_ranking_could_m.html

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't see that UConn clearly has a larger, more substantial presence on SNY cannot read.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
right...

GpcKs.jpg

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
right...

GpcKs.jpg

I call Stop on your pic. The first item references head coach Greg Schiano. The second item says head coach Kyle Flood. One of those items is outdated...

Reaction Score
I'm thinking by 2015 RU will have the highest rated game in the history of the BTN.

Go enjoy your new conference already.

Reaction Score
I call bull**** on your pic. The first item references head coach Greg Schiano. The second item says head coach Kyle Flood. One of those items is outdated...
I linked to this schedule earlier, but apparently nobody clicked it:

You're right in that it's an outdated description... doesn't mean the show doesn't exist. SNY has more RU programming than Uconn programming.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
RU and UConn have the same amount of FB programming. They both have a one-hour condensed broadcast, they both air the HC press conference during the week, they both do pre and post game shows.

UConn has every MBB game on SNY. Rutgers doesn't.
UConn has a gigantic WBB contract with SNY for all games, coaches shows and assorted programming. Rutgers doesn't.

UConn has probably 40% more content on SNY than Rutgers. At least.

Reaction Score
Rutgers-Louisville TV rating in New York City doubles Syracuse-West Virginia (2011)

Syracuse coach Doug Marrone can make all the claims he wants about the Orange being New York City's football team, but the facts simply aren't there to support that contention.

The latest TV ratings from Friday night's two Big East football games show the Rutgers @Louisville game (RU [5-1], UofL [2-4]) on ESPN2 having more than twice the viewers in New York City than the West Virginia @Syracuse game (#11 WVU [5-1], Syracuse [4-2]) on ESPN, a meeting that featured a ranked team (the Mountaineers). Both games started at 8pm.

Rutgers-Louisville drew a 1.45 share in New York City compared to 0.7 for West Virginia-Syracuse, according to the Nielsen ratings released today.

That rating tied for fourth all-time on ESPN2 for a football game viewed in the New York City area. Rutgers has been involved in all five of the top-rated football games in New York City on ESPN2.

Rutgers has also been part of four of the five highest-rated football games in the New York City area on ESPN.

That list is headed by Rutgers-Louisville in 2006, which drew an 8.1 rating, and includes Rutgers-West Virginia in 2006 (6.04);USC-Ohio State in 2009 (3.74); Rutgers-Cincinnati in 2006 (3.62) and South Florida Rutgers in 2007 (3.35).

Syracuse is not in the top 10 of ESPN's list of the most-viewed college football games in New York City.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootb...v_rating_i.html

Rutgers' Top 25 ranking could mean a sellout for Oct. 6 UConn game (2012)

ESPNU has picked up the Rutgers-UConn game, scheduling it for a noon start, and that may only be the beginning of the network's renewed interest in a program that has consistently delivered the New York market.

The Knights' 35-26 victory over Arkansas (Sept 22, 2012) last Saturday earned a 0.9 metered market rating in New York ?the highest ever for ESPNU for a college football game here.

In the designated New York market, four of the five-highest rated college football games on ESPN and the top four on ESPN2 have involved Rutgers. [Rutgers now holds the best ratings for college football in the NYC DMA for ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and now SNY]

"Look at the history of how they've fared, and like many other teams when they're good and they're winning, people watch them," said ESPN spokesman Mike Humes. "It obviously helps that they're from a large market."

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/09/rutgers_top_25_ranking_could_m.html

Who gives a . And why are RU fans posting here. We might not ever play each other again. Go enjoy your gift.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
This past week, Rutgers is the most relevant it has ever been or ever will be. They seem to be enjoying it. Good for them.

Reaction Score
Typical Rutgers. A lot of positives, and a total non-performance on the football field in what could have been a breakthrough moment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Who gives a ****. And why are RU fans posting here. We might not ever play each other again. Go enjoy your gift.
Exactly. Typical Rutgers small time thinking and inferiority complex. Dude you just got the golden ticket. Try an act like you are one of the big boys not the A-10 refugee that you will always be in your hearts (and everyone else's as well.)

Reaction Score
RU and UConn have the same amount of FB programming. They both have a one-hour condensed broadcast, they both air the HC press conference during the week, they both do pre and post game shows.

UConn has every MBB game on SNY. Rutgers doesn't.
UConn has a gigantic WBB contract with SNY for all games, coaches shows and assorted programming. Rutgers doesn't.

UConn has probably 40% more content on SNY than Rutgers. At least.

i guess you didn't actually click that link DIRECTLY to SNY's BE football programming listings, either of the two times i posted it. SNY does do all those shows for both RU and uconn FB, but RU has an additional weekly "magazine" style interview show (description copied below for your perusal). there is no such show for uconn.

R Football
Hosted by Bruce Beck, this magazine show features a weekly conversation with Rutgers football head coach Kyle Flood -- and airs every Friday at 4:30 p.m., only on SNY.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
i guess you didn't actually click that link DIRECTLY to SNY's BE football programming listings, either of the two times i posted it. SNY does do all those shows for both RU and uconn FB, but RU has an additional weekly "magazine" style interview show (description copied below for your perusal). there is no such show for uconn.

R Football
Hosted by Bruce Beck, this magazine show features a weekly conversation with Rutgers football head coach Kyle Flood -- and airs every Friday at 4:30 p.m., only on SNY.

ok the number goes from 40% to 39%. booohooo rutgers wins again somehow but not really.

Reaction Score

R Football

Thats one single show every friday, just taking into account WBB on SNY UConn air time > RU on SNY not even counting mens basketball. Why come over here and try to convince us of RU superior air time. RU got the invite we have not (yet, hopefully we will) not sure what you are trying to prove but coming on here and trying to rub our faces in it. Try and show some class for once.

caw

Reaction Score
I linked to this schedule earlier, but apparently nobody clicked it:

You're right in that it's an outdated description... doesn't mean the show doesn't exist. SNY has more RU programming than Uconn programming.

Look, you are obviously talking solely about football, I think we can all agree Rutgers has one more hour of football coverage than UConn in a week. Happy?

However, the original statement was "that UConn clearly has a larger, more substantial presence on SNY." It said nothing about UConn FOOTBALL or Rutgers FOOTBALL and was clearly referencing all UConn sports.

I think even you can admit UConn men's and women's basketball make UConn's footprint on SNY much larger.

Rutgers football may have one hour more coverage per week, but UConn has more total coverage for all sports.

As for ratings, I imagine Rutgers football has the highest ratings, but UConn's total package reaches a more diverse group of sets/viewers than Rutgers total package and if you look at total combined sets reached, it's probably pretty close.

Reaction Score
Anyone know the value of the respective SNY contracts? That may be a better indicator of value.

CL82

Reaction Score
Thats one single show every friday, just taking into account WBB on SNY UConn air time > RU on SNY not even counting mens basketball. Why come over here and try to convince us of RU superior air time. RU got the invite we have not (yet, hopefully we will) not sure what you are trying to prove but coming on here and trying to rub our faces in it. Try and show some class for once.
Because Rutgers is Rutgers and what's more they know that they are Rutgers. They have presided over the longest run of athletic department failure since Princeton handed them their asses. A change of conference affiliation doesn't change the gnawing emptiness and self-loathing that is sin qua non of being an Rutgers fan. Thus, they march to other boards, and we aren't the only one, and say look at me, tell me I have value. When we reply "no, you are just Rutgers" the cycle of self loathing and self doubt just begins anew.

Reaction Score
Cl82,

What a lowlife, low class thing to say...generalizing an entire Rutgers fan base the way you did. Only someone with inferiority issues needs to resort to belittling others to feel good about themselves.

I know I'm Rutgers...and damn proud of it...despite your immature efforts to put my school down.

I'm embarrassed by Rutgers fans that act like you...and glad someone with as little class as yourself does not represent my school.

CL82

Reaction Score
Cl82,

What a lowlife, low class thing to say...generalizing an entire Rutgers fan base the way you did. Only someone with inferiority issues needs to resort to belittling others to feel good about themselves.

I know I'm Rutgers...and damn proud of it...despite your immature efforts to put my school down.

I'm embarrassed by Rutgers fans that act like you...and glad someone with as little class as yourself does not represent my school.
Hmn, seems like someone hit a nerve.....

I'd suggest that, having won the conference realignment lottery, it is far more "lowlife, low class” to come on the board of the university that fared the absolute worst in the process and repeatedly say: “look at me and tell me I’m pretty.” Here’s some news for you Snooki, no one else is going to validate you. If your feelings get bruised that easily, stay on your own board and pretend that anyone else in the B1G actuallythinks of you as a peer institution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom