Snider announcing tonight | The Boneyard

Snider announcing tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So... Michigan St. and UConn are scratching their heads right now. Luckily, UConn has answers at this position, not sure about Izzo.

Reaction Score
So... Michigan St. and UConn are scratching their heads right now. Luckily, UConn has answers at this position, not sure about Izzo.
Kansas, too. Not that they were going after Snider or Ulis, but they were in it for McLaughlin. Read that they are or have been evaluating Newberry, but no offer yet. Not sure how seriously involved they are.

Reaction Score
....or the next guy that none of us even know is available yet. Who heard of Newberry one week ago? Who knew Snider would ever open up his recruitment in the first place?

This is true, but with one other thing to consider: Ollie offered Devin Watson as well (at least we're given to believe, though others like Tejada have made the same claim, and it looks like that might have been unlikely) so, he was already looking at other options and judging by the level of Watson's talent, we can guess at what else is out there.

Reaction Score
hate to be a sourpuss, but still feels like we are an after thought for most of these kids. i don't like that.

Reaction Score
They "offered" but how hard did they fight to stay in the game with all of these "offers"???

You know it's not a bad thing when kids are afraid between Samuel, Purvis and maybe Boat they can't play at UConn right away, how about that...........it always works out! The negative recruiting attics go out the window when you're winning and they suck! See what happens after this team makes a run first.......................

Reaction Score
This is true, but with one other thing to consider: Ollie offered Devin Watson as well (at least we're given to believe, though others like Tejada have made the same claim, and it looks like that might have been unlikely) so, he was already looking at other options and judging by the level of Watson's talent, we can guess at what else is out there.

It seems like more kids reclassify these days though, so there might be some better prospects in the spring (see Napier, Shabazz). I think we need to bring in a point in this class, but it might not be a bad idea to wait until spring to do it.

Reaction Score
Tejada didn't say that he was offered, just that UConn was expressing interest, which is what happened. UConn didn't offer, but Hobbs was in contact with him.

Reaction Score
Illinois bound. Nice year for Groce with him and Black.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They "offered" but how hard did they fight to stay in the game with all of these "offers"???

You know it's not a bad thing when kids are afraid between Samuel, Purvis and maybe Boat they can't play at UConn right away, how about that...........it always works out! The negative recruiting attics go out the window when you're winning and they suck! See what happens after this team makes a run first.......................

Too much whistling past the graveyard here.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will need to make to make a deep run this season - in spite of the AAC - before Ollie starts closing more of these recruits.

I know we're all encouraged by Ollie (and for good reason), but he still has a lot to prove as a head coach. You throw in the dreadful conference situation and UConn's probably an easy target on the recruiting trail right now.

Reaction Score
The Illini have not been relevant for a while. That seems to be changing under Groce.:(

Reaction Score
The Illini have not been relevant for a while. That seems to be changing under Groce.:(

Largely irrelevant, but have still produced a few lottery picks. That's a good selling point.

As is playing in a real conference. *sigh*

Reaction Score
I've said it a few times now that I thought we might end up swinging and missing on most if not all our plan-A recruits mainly due to our conference affiliation. I had hoped that I would be wrong, but it seems to be the case with our point guard situation. We still have a few irons in the fire, but the list of recruits is starting to dwindle.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, and I think we'll be OK. There will be a lot of returning talent next year, and the addition of Purvis and Hamilton is a very good start. I'm sure those who had their hopes up for a dream class are probably a little disappointed. By the end of the spring signing period, Ollie will probably have put together a very nice class. The results are really not that much different from what we witnessed under Calhoun's tenure. JC missed out on his share of plan-A recruits, and landed some of the best we've ever had in the program in late fall or during the spring signing period.

I had hoped for greater success to this point, but I am not surprised. I think KO will have more success with the 2015 class, though our current conferences situation might continuing to be an obstacle to overcome.

Reaction Score
I've said it a few times now that I thought we might end up swinging and missing on most if not all our plan-A recruits mainly due to our conference affiliation. I had hoped that I would be wrong, but it seems to been to be the case with our point guard situation. We still have a few irons in the fire, but the list of recruits is starting to dwindle.

I don't mean to be a Negative Nancy, and I think we'll be OK. There will be a lot of returning talent next year, and the addition of Purvis and Hamilton is a very good start. I'm sure those who had their hopes up for a dream class are probably a little disappointed. By the end of the spring signing, Ollie will probably have put together a very nice class. The results I really not that much different from what we witnessed under Calhoun's tenure. JC missed out on his share of plan-A recruits, and landed some of the best we've ever had in the program in late fall or during the spring signing period.

I had hoped for greater success to this point, but I am not surprised. I think KO will have more success with the 2014 class, though our current conferences situation might continuing to be an obstacle to overcome.

There are a lot of extenuating factors. Snider, for one, was a late decommit. Perkins meanwhile was hard to get from the west. The two biggest misses are Chukwu and Abu. Both those kids should be UConn kids. I think I know what happened in chukwu's case but the Abu recruitment is a mystery. Think back to July when Abu complained that no one from UConn seemed to care about his recruitment. That was a big tell.

They were late on Larrier, they only saw him live for the first time this summer. They were on Devin Robinson a little earlier.

It may be whistling past the graveyard, but the fact is, if they land Robinson and Colson to go with Purvis and Hamilton, this will be more or less a prototypical UConn class. Maybe even a little notch higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom