SMU Notified of Academic Improprieties | The Boneyard

SMU Notified of Academic Improprieties

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
AAC should bring a suit about selective enforcement against the NCAA. if such a thing is legally viable.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No because they are far less of a cesspool than UNC or 'Cuse, but will be sanctioned while those schools go unpunished.

Don't be stupid.

Syracuse will be smacked down in a matter of weeks and UNC's time is coming.

And don't kid yourself about SMU - they're a bad actor.

Reaction Score
Don't be stupid.

Didn't say they weren't wrong, but they aren't the worst either.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Don't be stupid.

Let's wait and see just what those punishments are before we give the NCAA credit for them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I believe your prediction is that they will go unpunished.

CL82

Reaction Score
I believe your prediction is that they will go unpunished.
No my statement was that they go unpunished, which they do and have for far too long. You are predicting that will change, and it may, but I'll wait and see the extent of it before I give them credit for it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's nothing to change.

Syracuse and SMU are both emerging from the investigation process. (SMU successfully hid the fact that they were under NCAA investigation until today. Private schools have an easier time keeping such things under wraps.) They both received their notice of allegation and while SMU is apparently awaiting their infractions hearing, Syracuse has already been through it.

Syracuse will find their fate any day now. No clue when SMU will have their hearing, but given the departures this week in their staff and roster, the investigation found fire, not smoke. So they're f---ed, too.

UNC is still under investigation which is bad news for them. Granted the NCAA had to be shamed into investigating, but now that they are, I think UNC has serious problems. (UNC has already dealt with violations and probation over the past few years, so 'unpunished' is not accurate.)

Reaction Score
Cuse; unc. punished . Believe it when I see it. I'm hoping just have a hard timebelieving it will happen and be more than a slap on the wrist.

CL82

Reaction Score
There's nothing to change.

Syracuse and SMU are both emerging from the investigation process. (SMU successfully hid the fact that they were under NCAA investigation until today. Private schools have an easier time keeping such things under wraps.) They both received their notice of allegation and while SMU is apparently awaiting their infractions hearing, Syracuse has already been through it.

Syracuse will find their fate any day now. No clue when SMU will have their hearing, but given the departures this week in their staff and roster, the investigation found fire, not smoke. So they're f---ed, too.

UNC is still under investigation which is bad news for them. Granted the NCAA had to be shamed into investigating, but now that they are, I think UNC has serious problems. (UNC has already dealt with violations and probation over the past few years, so 'unpunished' is not accurate.)

Sorry Fishy.

Will be punished any day = Unpunished.
Still under investigation = Unpunished.

We'll see when and if that changes.

Reaction Score
The NCAA just gave Hartford's Harrison an award for the work he did against UConn. It is doubtful that he would get an award if UNC or Cuse were about to be punished.

Reaction Score
The NCAA just gave Hartford's Harrison an award for the work he did against UConn. It is doubtful that he would get an award if UNC or Cuse were about to be punished.
They gave him an award?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why?

Because SMU is a cess pool?

This is not surprising in the least, Larry Brown or no Larry Brown.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
Apparently, Frazier's grade in a high school physics class was changed. This could explain SMU's quantum leap as a basketball power.

Reaction Score
These types of things may just add up to recruits/players going elsewhere to play next year so keep in mind KO will be watching closely if we don't win a couple other sweepstakes the Huskies are involved in. Never know how they end up in your lap.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The purpose of the SMU investigation is to force Larry Brown out of SMU. UNC and Syracuse will not get more than a slap on the wrist. UNC's entire athletic program should get a permanent death penalty for widespread academic investigations across sports going back over 20 years. Nothing will happen to the majors, but I would be willing to bet $1 that Larry Brown will be forced out at SMU within 2 years.

This kind of kangaroo court stuff goes back over 40 years (look up Robert Parish's recruitment by Centenary).

Reaction Score
My issue now isn't just the equity in terms of compliance between the P5 and the rest, but the nature of the punishments. Deferred punishments are all to often litigated or lobbied down or dismissed altogether. If the NCAA really wants to send a message make those punishments severe in years 1 and 2 before they can sweep them under the rug at a later date. And yet the UNC case still lingers with a plethora of corroborated evidence about widespread academic fraud.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Why would SMU get rid of Larry Brown? They're nothing without him. Even if they get banned from the tourney, they're better off keeping him as log as he wants to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom