SMU boosters raise $159 million | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SMU boosters raise $159 million

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
In addition to being a UConn alum, I’m an SMU alum. I’ve been going to SMU games since 1989. The football program has a lot of momentum. No one knows what college football will be like in a few years. For now, the ACC will be a lot of fun. Gotta beat TCU snd BCU this year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In addition to being a UConn alum, I’m an SMU alum. I’ve been going to SMU games since 1989. The football program has a lot of momentum. No one knows what college football will be like in a few years. For now, the ACC will be a lot of fun. Gotta beat TCU snd BCU this year.
In your conversations with other SMU alumni, how do they feel about the hole "will join and you don't have to pay us" negotiation position taken by SMU?

Reaction Score
I agree that you have no idea who is giving and to whom else they are giving to. But my daughter has a friend going to SMU in fall. I've always heard what a rich school SMU is so I was a bit surprised that the school's endowment per student is adequate, but not spectacular. The endowment per student is only ahead of Miami and Syracuse amongst the ACC private schools. I guess if you can make a few calls and come up with $159mm for a pet project the endowment isn't as important though.

SMU has the perception of being a rich school but the endowment does not reflect this. Endowments of some of SMU's aspirational. actual, and ACC peers, 2024 (in billions)

Stanford: $36.49
Notre Dame: $16.61
Duke : $13.23
Virginia: $9.80
Vanderbilt: $9.68
USC: $7.46
Rice: $7.24
Pitt: $5.48
UNC: $5.20
BC: $3.50
Georgia Tech: $2.94
TCU: $2.57
Tulane: $2.10
SMU: $2.04
Baylor: $1.96
Wake Forest: $1.90
Syracuse $1.89
Miami: $1.36

Reaction Score
So who are UConn's wealthiest alums and the ones we have tapped into for sports? The only names I ever hear are Dan Toscano, Robert Skinner, Trisha Bailey, Mark D'Amelio.

Reaction Score
So who are UConn's wealthiest alums and the ones we have tapped into for sports? The only names I ever hear are Dan Toscano, Robert Skinner, Trisha Bailey, Mark D'Amelio.
Ray Allen ... but in all seriousness, the big-time wealth in CT did not go to their state school ... their money goes to Ivy Leagues and exclusive elite private schools. UConn has always been a budget/best value state school that just recently changed its approach in favor of money over the state via international students... many of whom I've been told from attendees are wealthy and from China... and occupy the most expensive parts of campus like downtown storrs.... which let's be honest, was not added to attract in-state students...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In your conversations with other SMU alumni, how do they feel about the hole "will join and you don't have to pay us" negotiation position taken by SMU?

Clearly their thoughts are that they will write the AD another big check.

Duh.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Burton, Shenkman, Werth.

Reaction Score
I would imagine they believe protecting fossil fuels and ultra-conservative politicians are impactful.

But I agree with your overall point. If I won a mega-lottery, the athletic dept would be low on the list of causes/initiatives I'd support. In a way, it's actually easier to give to athletics when you're not really all that wealthy, as it's easy to justify how a couple thou has direct impact versus giving it to a charity.
You spend your money as you see fit, I'll spend mine as I see fit, and they are free to do likewise.

Reaction Score
The fact smu has this money from their donors is appalling in a way.

They don’t want to fund something a little more impactful?

I am in the same place. That “donations” will be earmarked to compensate many athletes who will be making significant money in college and in their professional careers is a bit perverse.

Won’t be my money……that’s for sure.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I believe SMU is getting some money, more than what they got in the AAC. It’s still a small fraction of a normal payout. The SMU alumni are super rich. To many of them, the money is insignificant. They just want to be in a power conference no matter what it takes. I’m just a regular alumnus/fan and am grateful for all they’ve done. It should be a good year. I think 7-5 is a real possibility, maybe better.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
SMU has the perception of being a rich school but the endowment does not reflect this. Endowments of some of SMU's aspirational. actual, and ACC peers, 2024 (in billions)

Stanford: $36.49
Notre Dame: $16.61
Duke : $13.23
Virginia: $9.80
Vanderbilt: $9.68
USC: $7.46
Rice: $7.24
Pitt: $5.48
UNC: $5.20
BC: $3.50
Georgia Tech: $2.94
TCU: $2.57
Tulane: $2.10
SMU: $2.04
Baylor: $1.96
Wake Forest: $1.90
Syracuse $1.89
Miami: $1.36
Some giving depends on the success of the athletic department. SMU was in the football wilderness for 37 years. It will take time to catch up to some others. Football is a priority for many donors and that will make the situation better in the coming years.

Reaction Score
I am in the same place. That “donations” will be earmarked to compensate many athletes who will be making significant money in college and in their professional careers is a bit perverse.

Won’t be my money……that’s for sure.
In this new era of college football, you need to lean on your alumni/supporter donors for the $$.

Attachments

• Cuse Athletic Fund.jpg
    Cuse Athletic Fund.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 25
Reaction Score
The fact smu has this money from their donors is appalling in a way.

They don’t want to fund something a little more impactful?

Really? Do you know anything about SMU?

They don’t want for funding in any way. It’s a big country club for people that are already wealthy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom