SMU boosters raise $159 million | Page 4 | The Boneyard

SMU boosters raise $159 million

Reaction Score
Their list of notable alumni is impressive and massive.

Collectively the school and the alums were smart enough to see that they were better off making nothing in a shaky ACC than they are making next to nothing in the AAC.

Calling them a DIII school is straight up crazy. I honestly sometime wonder about the people that post here. If they are DIII then so is basically every other current FBS private school. Their undergrad and grad enrollment is bigger than Wake’s. I agree that their academics probably isn’t as good, but also that simply doesn’t matter at all.
I agree. I think your only disagreement with my comments is saying his take isn’t crazy. I don’t think I fully noticed the DIII comment. That is on the crazy side. There are plenty of solid to elite academic schools that are also strong D1 programs. And SMU has the money and interest to be better than them. And DIII is a big drop from even bad D1. Heck, even the Patriot League is D1 with strong academic schools!

Reaction Score
I agree. I think your only disagreement with my comments is saying his take isn’t crazy. I don’t think I fully noticed the DIII comment. That is on the crazy side. There are plenty of solid to elite academic schools that are also strong D1 programs. And SMU has the money and interest to be better than them. And DIII is a big drop from even bad D1. Heck, even the Patriot League is D1 with strong academic schools!

DIII is what is crazy. At a minimum it’s not serious.

Reaction Score
DIII is what is crazy. At a minimum it’s not serious.
Calling smu a d3 school is idiotic. Their program stumbled because of the death penalty and the demise of their league shortly afterwards when the SEC and B8/12 split the SWC apart.

SMU is relevant because they have rich donors and the current era enables schools to thrive based on having more money than sense. They could very well pass a lot of programs real quick. Anybody who has been around long enough SHOULD understand that.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Is it? The entire college football world did fine without SMU for the last 30 years.

Why suddenly do we need them?

They bring nothing to the table except a pile of cash from super wealthy oil barons.

They are new money wake forest.
Please stop talking. You’re in over your head here.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
a bit off topic but ….. in hindsight I believe that the NCAA went too far when it imposed the 2 year “death penalty” against SMU.

There were other less severe steps it could have imposed to penalize the school for its lack of institutional control.

Let me know the next time the hypothetical NCAA takes an adverse position agains UNC, Duke, ND, or any of its other sacred blue bloods.
They’ll just punish Cal Tech.

Hondo 77

The voice of reason
Reaction Score
Yes, it was excessively severe but SMU's actions at that time painted the NCAA into a corner where they needed to either give SMU the punishment both agreed would be applicable if SMU continued or send a message to evereyone that the really won't impose threatened penalties.

Yes, most of the better football schools at that time (and the entiretly of the SWC) had been paying players going back to the depression days. In most cases however, it was done in a blink, blink, nod, nod manner where officials within the schools, athletic departments and leadership of the coaching staffs could claim "I knew nothing about this". SMU had weekly meetings (termed 'board meetings') where school officials (including the president), athletic department officials, members of the coaching staff and boosters discussed the football team's needs, prospective recruits, what they believed would be needed to land these recruits and how to best reach these goals.

Beyond this, they had be caught red handed three times over basically six years and reached an agreement on the third time (to keep the penalty somewhat reasonable) that among other things they would stop paying player, with the next penalty being the death penalty. Within a few weeks of this agreement, someone (likely one of the boosters, working with the school president) resumed payments to a few players that had been promised them a couple years earlier during recruitment. When leadership at the university changed, the payments stopped and the players were told that because of the NCAA ruling, the school could not pay them. One of the players, angry that the payments stopped took the stamped envelopes of the payments he did receive to a local newspaper. If they never paid after the ruling, the player could have complained and SMU sould have responded "Yes, we admitted guilt and agreed there would be no further payment.". As they violated the agreement, the NCAA had little choice but to impose the death penalty.
They got what they deserved.

Reaction Score
SMU's death spared others.

After SMU, there was an unspoken agreement that the death penalty would not again be applied.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Has SMU ever been successful when they weren't cheating? In FB or BB?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scorpio1

Top Bottom