OT: - Smokers | The Boneyard

OT: Smokers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The Turkey thread got me thinking. So, let’s talk smokers. I got a Masterbuilt 3 years ago. It works, but is a bitch to keep clean and has started rusting in places. I think I can get another season out if it but I feel like there should be a better long term solution.

A friend who is a good BBQ guy built a smoker from a oil drum. He loves it. Charcoal fuel. Another friend bought one of those pellet fuel smoker/grill combos. A Traeger. He’s been really happy with it. I have a nice new Weber gas grill so will grill on that, but a Kamado/ Big Green Egg sounds cool. Also interested in ease of cleaning and longevity outdoors in New England.

Any suggestions for the casual smoker? Would like to be able to do jerky too.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
The Turkey thread got me thinking. So, let’s talk smokers. I got a Masterbuilt 3 years ago. It works, but is a bitch to keep clean and has started rusting in places. I think I can get another season out if it but I feel like there should be a better long term solution.

A friend who is a good BBQ guy built a smoker from a oil drum. He loves it. Charcoal fuel. Another friend bought one of those pellet fuel smoker/grill combos. A Traeger. He’s been really happy with it. I have a nice new Weber gas grill so will grill on that, but a Kamado/ Big Green Egg sounds cool. Also interested in ease of cleaning and longevity outdoors in New England.

Any suggestions for the casual smoker? Would like to be able to do jerky too.
I have a Weber Smoky Mountain, which is pretty basic but like all Weber products withstands the outdoors well. I have gone through 2 kettles in 25 years and honestly, the kettle is big enough to smoke some ribs, a pork butt or brisket.

Reaction Score
My advice is to take inventory of:

a) How often you're really going to use it.
b) How many people you will feed.
c) How much time you will have to make sure and stoke/monitor the temp.

If you have unlimited funds and plenty of free time to be around for longer smokes? Get an expensive rig. If you want to smoke a shoulder or a couple birds and run errands during the day? A cabinet propane smoker can do the job.

It's really a wide range of what you want out of it and are willing to commit to.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My advice is to take inventory of:

a) How often you're really going to use it.
b) How many people you will feed.
c) How much time you will have to make sure and stoke/monitor the temp.

If you have unlimited funds and plenty of free time to be around for longer smokes? Get an expensive rig. If you want to smoke a shoulder or a couple birds and run errands during the day? A cabinet propane smoker can do the job.

It's really a wide range of what you want out of it and are willing to commit to.

My electric Masterbuilt has that set it and forget it level of ease of use. But it’s deteriorating.

How easy is smoking on a big green egg/Kamado? I could use that as a winter grill as well. Propane sucks in the winter.

Oh and the oil drum thing is a kit basically. An ugly drum smoker.

Reaction Score
I have a Weber Smoky Mountain, which is pretty basic but like all Weber products withstands the outdoors well. I have gone through 2 kettles in 25 years and honestly, the kettle is big enough to smoke some ribs, a pork butt or brisket.
The Weber Smoky Mountain gets great reviews and I know people who have them and love them. I used to use a cheap offset smoker but had problems controlling temp. For the moment I'm using a Weber kettle 22" charcoal grill with the

I can maintain 225-250 using the vents top and bottom for about 5 hours on the first shot of coals. You can add coals for a longer cook as you go like with a brisket or shoulder or after 5 hours bring it in and stick it in the oven. After that long it really has all the smoke it needs on it assuming you are adding wood chunks during the cook.

Reaction Score
My electric Masterbuilt has that set it and forget it level of ease of use. But it’s deteriorating.

How easy is smoking on a big green egg/Kamado? I could use that as a winter grill as well. Propane sucks in the winter.

Oh and the oil drum thing is a kit basically. An ugly drum smoker.

Looks like you can get a decent pre-built drum one as well for a reasonable price.

Reaction Score
People smoke with propane? Is it even comparable?

My honest take? For most of your needs, you won't see the difference if you use a good wood and prep right with rubs and brines. Can you enter a tournament grade brisket? Nope. But for most of your run of the mill smokes? I'd defy you to tell the difference.

Understand, there's a huge hardo population that requires you to stand next to your smoker for 9 hours or it's "garbage". I don't buy it.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Unless you have a lot of time to learn how to do a manual smoker and have time during cooks to make sure temperatures are perfect, wood level is correct, etc., I would highly recommend a pellet smoker.

I got a Traeger earlier this year and after bringing in a few items to work, two of my friends got Traegers as well. We all text pictures of what we've done almost every weekend and bring stuff in to compare. We're all extremely happy with them. They are really easy to use. You can set something for 8 to 12 hours and walk away knowing the temperature will remain consistent and the flavor is probably at least 98% as good as competition wood smokers. You can spend anywhere from $600 or $700 for a basic unit up to $2,000 for a really high end huge one.

I had a thread about my purchase a while back: OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update*

I would recommend that you get extra drip trays, a front folding shelf and a cover to start, so figure that into your total cost.

Reaction Score
Well i have a 275 gallon oil tank fre whole hog, but quick and easy it isn’t.

For a small smoke the green egg is pretty consistent. I’ve had drum smokers before and for me the egg is better although its cheating a bit.

Reaction Score
Teicly title OP!!! I thought we were gonna talk smokes and the flory days! Jeesh! So much for that stuff!

As far as smokers go, to stay on topic, my brother did the best turkey I have ever had in my life in his Traeger. He brined it and used applewood chips. So good. A friend of mine swears by his green egg.

Cheers!

Reaction Score
For a small smoke the green egg is pretty consistent. I’ve had drum smokers before and for me the egg is better although its cheating a bit.

It's also like 3x the price.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I’ve made some tasty bbq with the Weber kettle and smokenator insert... but I’m about done with it. If anyone would like it... or a 3 burner Weber Genesis for that matter... send me a PM.

Traeger is tops on my list right now.

Reaction Score
The Komodo style smokers (Komodo Joe or Big Green Egg) give you the most flexibility in terms of temperature and are far easier to use than most here are assuming. I’ve done multiple unattended smokes and keeping the temperature constant is not an issue at all. But they are crazy expensive, particularly w once you factor in the accessories.

If you don’t go with one of those a pellet smoker is your best bet. I’d go with a good electric like a cookshack before a propane smoker if you are looking for a set it and forget it contraption.

Reaction Score
I've had a gas cabinet style smoker for years. Honestly finding the time to use it is challenging. Propane does help to keep it steady but I don't feel comfortable leaving the house while it's going. With a set of butts taking up to 16 hours I'm stuck for a day. So yea smoking happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Now that I sous vide it is nice to toss a butt or brisket in there for a few hours just to get the smoking taste from time to time, lacks bark though.

I am definitely interested in a charcoal smoker next. I really wonder how much more flavor you get compared to using propane as your heart source.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Unless you have a lot of time to learn how to do a manual smoker and have time during cooks to make sure temperatures are perfect, wood level is correct, etc., I would highly recommend a pellet smoker.

I got a Traeger earlier this year and after bringing in a few items to work, two of my friends got Traegers as well. We all text pictures of what we've done almost every weekend and bring stuff in to compare. We're all extremely happy with them. They are really easy to use. You can set something for 8 to 12 hours and walk away knowing the temperature will remain consistent and the flavor is probably at least 98% as good as competition wood smokers. You can spend anywhere from $600 or $700 for a basic unit up to $2,000 for a really high end huge one.

I had a thread about my purchase a while back: OT BBQ and Grilling - Traeger - *First Cook Update*

I would recommend that you get extra drip trays, a front folding shelf and a cover to start, so figure that into your total cost.

Second the pellet grill, especially if you need ease and flexibility.

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Ive had a Weber Smoky Mountain for about 4 years. It stays outside with a cover on it year round. No issues. Its a good smoker that does require a little babysitting until you get the hang of it. Ive been running overnights recently on briskets and big butts. I can just about set it and forget it for 8-9 hours using the minion method with good charcoal. Ive got the thermopro bluetooth thermometer which monitors the grill temp and the food temp. It really cuts down the baby sitting.

If youre a guy that likes to sit outside, drink beer and whiff smoke, go with a charcoal. If you just like the end result id vote for a Traeger or similar.

Reaction Score
the barrel smokers work great. Can buy one or make yourself

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
First - I quit smoking over 3 years ago.

Now, as to a smoker and smoking meats, I have a Masterbuilt ThermoTemp propane smoker for almost a year. Stays outside and I have a cover for it. The nice thing about my smoker is when you set the temp guage, it holds the temperature. It has four racks and is double wall construction. There is a bowl that holds wood chips and another square bowl that holds the water.

I probably qualify as a casual smoker. I've done several racks of ribs over that last 11 months. Never a problem. I don't sit around monitoring the smoker. When I do ribs, its a 2 hour check, then a 1 hour check, then a 90 minute to 2 hour check. By that time, the ribs are done.

Bottom line, do your research and purchase what you are comfortable with and suits your needs.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Got a Masterbuilt for Fathers' Day. I love it, but wish I had more opportunities to use it. I'm bringing it into my garage for the winter and will hopefully be able to pull it out periodically over the colder months.

Uconnrick

Twisted, but still lovable.
Reaction Score
People smoke with propane? Is it even comparable?
I've got a Smoke Vault by Camp Chef and have smoked all the normal stuff with great results. Temp regulation is tricky however, there is alot of surface area and wind or ambient temp changes will effect the cooking temp.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom