Smith to Baylor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Smith to Baylor

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
This stuff is getting out of hand. Obviously, the girls can do what they want, but I'd be rather miffed if I were hoping she went to one of these other schools.

NaLyssa Smith, the seventh overall prospect in the class, unzipped her jacket to reveal a Louisville shirt. That was just the tease.

She removed that shirt to reveal a South Carolina tee, then removed for a Baylor tee, then removed for an Ohio State tee. Then removed for a black shirt with the phrase “Loading … ” stitched on it.

The final shirt was white with a gold and green Baylor logo as her family erupted.
Sounds as if someone would be well advised to find the roof of her father's car.

But then I belong to the shrinking minority of football fans who espouse the "Act like you've been there before" philosophy.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I also meant to say congrats to Baylor. By all accounts, a great get and she seems like a good kid. I do enjoy seeing multiple other programs really doing well on the recruiting trail - Baylor, Texas, Duke and UCONN are at the top in the past 4 recruiting cycles...

If you go back to the 2015 class, teams have the following top 10 kids per HG (if my math is correct - it took me a bit to go back over the 2015-2018 kids and tally the totals - I did not double check):

UCONN - 5
Baylor - 3
Texas - 6
Duke - 4

Other teams have had 1 or so - L'ville, Cal, Oregon, OSU, Maryland, Stanford, aTm, Michigan State, Florida State, ND, South Caroline, Tenn, and a few others have managed at least 1 kid and some have had several just outside the top 10.

Point is, by that statistic, UCONN, Duke and Texas are head and shoulders above everyone else. Baylor is not far behind. Stanford only has 1 top 10 kid but maybe 3-4 in the 10-20 range. Maryland and Louisville have recruited similarly. Of the remaining kids in 2018, I believe UCONN is in good shape with #1 Williams, I have heard Decosta prefers to stay out west (but that was a few months back) and Nelson Ododa has a list of about 20 schools (slight exaggeration) so I'm not sure where she will end up but my point is...

Of the last 9 NC's, UCONN has won 6, and 1 each to SC, Baylor, and aTm. If UCONN lands Williams, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they would win at least 2 of the next 4, leaving everyone else fighting for 2nd place. At least the next 2 years, no one will come close to UCONN (just my opinion) in spite of some talented squads out there (SC will see just how far behind they are to UCONN when the teams face off in early 2018). Once Stevens, Collier and KLS graduate, much will depend on how the rest of the top kids in 2018 choose, and what happens in 2019.

People were right when they said last year "now is the time to get UCONN". Only 1 team did, and it won't happen again for at least the next 2 years... but the other teams who will be in the top 5 seem to be set up strongly for Baylor, Texas, and Duke with maybe Stanford, SC, Maryland, and Louisville poised in the next tier. It is somewhat of a mystery to me what's happening to ND - only 2 top 10 kids in the last 4 recruiting cycles, and one of them transferred out. Anyone have any insight? It would not surprise me to see them drop out of the top 10 and even lower going forward. Few coaches are better than Muffet, but without the horses, she can't compete...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger
Top Bottom