Smith to Baylor | The Boneyard

Smith to Baylor

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good choice. They can certainly use her.

HGN

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Baylor......But I am a little surprised with all the stuff going on there.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She stayed in state. Not a big surprise to me.

I would have liked her at UConn.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Congratulations to Baylor.But I am a little surprised with all the stuff going on there.

Kim builds these relationships with these Texas players and families for years and the parents know her and trust that she will take care of their daughters. WBB is fairly insulated from the "stuff" at Baylor, especially now that the "stuff" has been addressed and house was cleaned. She has been able to land 5 top-10 players (Cox, Chou, Richards, Morris and Smith) in the 2016, 2017 and 2018 classes, with more to come, I hope.

It will be interesting to see which players left on Kim's target-list follow Smith in this class, if any. Rumor is that there are already two other "silent" commits to Baylor, although I am not sure why a commit would be "silent. "

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Good choice. They can certainly use her.

I'm really liking Baylor in 2018 (Brown, Smith, Cox, Chou, Richards, Morris, Ursin, Landrum). This is shaping up to be a top 5 team and I suspect that there will be another player or two added in 2018.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I'm really liking Baylor in 2018 (Brown, Smith, Cox, Chou, Richards, Morris, Ursin, Landrum). This is shaping up to be a top 5 team and I suspect that there will be another player or two added in 2018.

I'd think '19 is when they could be really dangerous, assuming all that talent pans out.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'd think '19 is when they could be really dangerous, assuming all that talent pans out.

Brown will be a senior in 2018 and once she departs she is going to be hard to replace. She is going to be dominant this season as a junior and will possibly be the best player in the country her senior season.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Brown will be a senior in 2018 and once she departs she is going to be hard to replace. She is going to be dominant this season as a junior and will possibly be the best player in the country her senior season.

She's going to have to be better than Collier, Samuelson, and Stevens for that to be the case!

Anyway, Baylor has enough talent on paper to replace her. Smith, Morris, and company should be hitting their strides by then.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Baylor was a top 5 team without her. But as you've said, this will be a lesser team without Brown. Hopefully Ms Brown took some of Geno's criticism's to heart when she got an earful during the trials.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Possibly, but probably not.

Reaction Score
"I've said this before on the other board but let me say it again. If smith would have done what Joyner did during her last year on the circuit. She would have gone to first in her class. I have watched her out perform Collier and Prince multiple times over the past 2 or 3 years. She and her parents are loyal so they stayed with Finest. She is a more athletic Holmes that can shoot the ball. Holmes IQ is much higher but Smith will get the rebound and push the break herself. Her draft class I really feel she will go number one. It will be similar to Katie Lou and Kalani. They got to college and Kalani proved she was the best kid in that class".

The quote above is from the Baylor Sic'em 365 board from a poster named Skilledup.

Interesting points, he feels like smith is the best in the class(can't argue with him much there). Also feels like Kalani Brown claimed herself as the best in the 2015 class. What do you guys think?

Me personally... I felt Napheesa Collier staked her claim as best 2015 last year with KLS and Asia Durr close behind.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
This stuff is getting out of hand. Obviously, the girls can do what they want, but I'd be rather miffed if I were hoping she went to one of these other schools.

NaLyssa Smith, the seventh overall prospect in the class, unzipped her jacket to reveal a Louisville shirt. That was just the tease.

She removed that shirt to reveal a South Carolina tee, then removed for a Baylor tee, then removed for an Ohio State tee. Then removed for a black shirt with the phrase “Loading … ” stitched on it.

The final shirt was white with a gold and green Baylor logo as her family erupted.

Reaction Score
That announcement sounds totally distasteful. I'm sure she meant no disrespect, but it's really not cool to "tease" other people who have invested so many hours in trying to let you know how important you would be to them. It would be better to show some modesty and humbleness, and to express appreciation to all for their interest in you. She hasn't proven one thing for Baylor on the court yet. It may be the trend of the times, but, taken on its face, this behavior suggests ego run amok. Perhaps it's not surprising considering how these players have been fawned over by so many.

Reaction Score
This stuff is getting out of hand. Obviously, the girls can do what they want, but I'd be rather miffed if I were hoping she went to one of these other schools.

NaLyssa Smith, the seventh overall prospect in the class, unzipped her jacket to reveal a Louisville shirt. That was just the tease.

She removed that shirt to reveal a South Carolina tee, then removed for a Baylor tee, then removed for an Ohio State tee. Then removed for a black shirt with the phrase “Loading … ” stitched on it.

The final shirt was white with a gold and green Baylor logo as her family erupted.

LY$$ ☔️ @imwithhoops

Really wasn’t that bad, but I thought she was going to Louisville at 1st lol.

Skip to about the 3:15 mark

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
As far as I can remember Brown was never considered a top 5 player. She was very slow and considering her size she did not finish well around the basket. She has however, come a long way but still not what I would consider a top player. She was surrounded by some very good players at Baylor and did not have to work too hard to get the ball, but she does finish much better than she did. KLS was basically unanimous due to being a backcourt player who is the size of a front court player. She was very unique and still is. Very few players of this type come along who have the range she does, the ability to shoot off the dribble, in transition, reading screens with defenders chasing her, getting to the rim and also able to post. The best part of her game IMO is how she views game several steps ahead, of the play and allows her to deliver the ball for easy buckets.

The question for Baylor this year will be at the PG position which affects Brown and whether she will be getting those nice feeds that she has enjoyed the last 2 years.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Where do you draw the line for the level of taste? UCONN's own Megan Walker started her press conference with 3 sets of balloons colored orange (Texas), Green (ND) and Blue (UCONN). She popped the Orange ones first, then the Green ones, and hence her decision was made to come to UCONN. Not exactly the same as revealing shirts of schools she's not going to only to remove them for the next school, but she did have balloons there for each school and popped them to show her decision.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
That announcement sounds totally distasteful. I'm sure she meant no disrespect, but it's really not cool to "tease" other people who have invested so many hours in trying to let you know how important you would be to them. It would be better to show some modesty and humbleness, and to express appreciation to all for their interest in you. She hasn't proven one thing for Baylor on the court yet. It may be the trend of the times, but, taken on its face, this behavior suggests ego run amok. Perhaps it's not surprising considering how these players have been fawned over by so many.

Who cares? Let her have some fun with it...it's probably the biggest decision she's made in her life up to this point and she wanted to go about announcing it in a fun way. As long as she notified the coaches prior to the public announcement, I don't think it's distasteful.

JordyG

Reaction Score
"I've said this before on the other board but let me say it again. If smith would have done what Joyner did during her last year on the circuit. She would have gone to first in her class. I have watched her out perform Collier and Prince multiple times over the past 2 or 3 years. She and her parents are loyal so they stayed with Finest. She is a more athletic Holmes that can shoot the ball. Holmes IQ is much higher but Smith will get the rebound and push the break herself. Her draft class I really feel she will go number one. It will be similar to Katie Lou and Kalani. They got to college and Kalani proved she was the best kid in that class".

The quote above is from the Baylor Sic'em 365 board from a poster named Skilledup.

Interesting points, he feels like smith is the best in the class(can't argue with him much there). Also feels like Kalani Brown claimed herself as the best in the 2015 class. What do you guys think?

Me personally... I felt Napheesa Collier staked her claim as best 2015 last year with KLS and Asia Durr close behind.
I think Brown's second team AA status speaks for itself.

JordyG

Reaction Score
She'll find out the first day of practice when she'll fail and continue to fail in beating out Cox for the second forward in, while Brown eats her lunch daily.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Where do you draw the line for the level of taste? UCONN's own Megan Walker started her press conference with 3 sets of balloons colored orange (Texas), Green (ND) and Blue (UCONN). She popped the Orange ones first, then the Green ones, and hence her decision was made to come to UCONN. Not exactly the same as revealing shirts of schools she's not going to only to remove them for the next school, but she did have balloons there for each school and popped them to show her decision.

I'm partial to the engraving the hood of your dad's car approach. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom