SJU fires Mike Anderson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SJU fires Mike Anderson

Reaction Score
Cuse Gtown Johnnies all.fired coaches. Titans of the early Big East
. My how the mighty have fallen.
yeah, damn. That was 3/4 of the landmark programs of the Big East in the 80s (Nova being the other). Wow, what are the chances all 3 would fire their coaches in the same year?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So, while we can argue about Stubblefield at DePaul and Neptune at Nova, it seems that the rest of the league either has a solid coach or an opening. I think that bodes well depending on these hires.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He'll be 24 next year. At this point he should be good.

Weird take, but he’s a 16/11 guy.

Would sign up for that.

Reaction Score
SJU and Pitino are a great fit. He will make the conference better but is also easy to hate. I love it.

Would love to see Kimani at Iona as well. Team is strong so he isn't going to a total rebuild and has a decent chance success in his prime recruiting area.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So, while we can argue about Stubblefield at DePaul and Neptune at Nova, it seems that the rest of the league either has a solid coach or an opening. I think that bodes well depending on these hires.

At this point, I think DePaul could hire God as head coach and still suck.

But in general, I think having programs firing/replacing coaches is generally not that healthy.

In the past year, Nova, Butler, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John’s and Xavier have had coaching openings…that is suboptimal. Good that Xavier got their hire right by hiring the worst human being in the game, but the others are not all going to nail it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Well, he is a player development coach with the Mavs, so he might be successful there.

1678483369746.png

Reaction Score
Georgetown should consider Anderson. Just getting to tweener status would be an upgrade for them at this point.

Reaction Score

But in general, I think having programs firing/replacing coaches is generally not that healthy.

In the past year, Nova, Butler, Seton Hall, Georgetown, St. John’s and Xavier have had coaching openings…that is suboptimal. Good that Xavier got their hire right by hiring the worst human being in the game, but the others are not all going to nail it.
Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

The best coach in the sport retired at the height of his powers and the other schools who had coaches that underperformed got/will get much better replacements. The only one who left for more money was Willard and they replaced him with the guy who took St. Peter's to the Elite 8.

Reaction Score
:( does that mean St. John's could miss out on him? Texas Tech has P5 money. But St. John's has NYC and that might appeal more to Rick at this time of his life.
I guess whoever has the biggest blank check is going to land Slick Rick. St. John’s should call Publisher’s Clearinghouse to get one of theirs.

Reaction Score
I generally feel bad for most coaches who lose their jobs. This includes Ewing and Anderson. They are both good people. Ewing was clearly not prepared for the challenges of the Georgetown job. Anderson deployed a style which may have worked at Arkansas, but didn’t necessarily fit the talent level at St. John’s. I give him credit. His teams played hard. I wish them both well.

Reaction Score

Can DePaul dig up Ray Meyer's corpse, reanimate it and hire him as their coach?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
:( does that mean St. John's could miss out on him? Texas Tech has P5 money. But St. John's has NYC and that might appeal more to Rick at this time of his life.
Nothing screams "Pitino" like Lubbock, Tx.

Reaction Score
Pitno wouldn't have to move to coach SJU. It's would be an easy transition for him. It is interesting to note that Louie Carnesecca retired from coaching at 67 years old and he seemed ancient. Pitno is 70.

But the portal changes the equation. He can use the portal and recruit one and done type high school players. So even if he retires after a couple of years, he doesn't have to worry about building a program. Only building a team. One year at a time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom