Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Probably because Griner was the one chasing Anigwe to keep the fight going after the initial skirmish.

Anigwe kept backing up. She wanted no part of an angry Griner.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm - interesting... My first thought was I’m tempted to show up at 4:30 and try to get in free. Then I’m thinking, “If I don’t get a free ticket, and I’m already there at the arena, and it’s rush hour... I’d probably just buy a ticket and go to the game.

OK THEN I thought, “Maybe that’s what she had in mind anyway - ha!”

But then I thought, “I wonder if 300 people are even gonna show up to get free tix to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner. Good chance I’ll be one of the first 300. And, if I’m not, then I can get a “scalped” ticket outside for less than face value anyway.

But then I thought, “Why would I drive downtown in rush hour to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner - could you even pay me to do that?”

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmmmm - interesting... My first thought was I’m tempted to show up at 4:30 and try to get in free. Then I’m thinking, “If I don’t get a free ticket, and I’m already there at the arena, and it’s rush hour... I’d probably just buy a ticket and go to the game.

But then I thought, “I wonder if 300 people are even gonna show up to get free tix to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner. Good chance I’ll be one of the first 300. And, if I’m not, then I can get a “scalped” ticket outside for less than face value anyway.

But then I thought, “Why would I drive downtown in rush hour to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner - could you even pay me to do that?”

Ha ha. For some reason this reminds me of the famous "battle of wits...to the death" scene in The Princess Bride. You have a truly dizzying intellect. :cool:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

a true hoop fan ('ratus gymnasius') can find roundball nirvana even in a freshmen scrimmage. between two schools both named 'our lady of no d.' outdoors. in a blizzard.
you'd better watch your step as you're this close to sliding down the food chain all the way to 'casual fan.' oh, the horror.

Reaction Score
a true hoop fan ('ratus gymnasius') can find roundball nirvana even in a freshmen scrimmage. between two schools both named 'our lady of no d.' outdoors. in a blizzard.
you'd better watch your step as you're this close to sliding down the food chain all the way to 'casual fan.' oh, the horror.
Oh I’m still thinkin’ about it....

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

ulRFFlV.gif

If the basketball thing doesn't work out.... perhaps she could try football as a DB. :p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Geez, no respect for Dewanna Bonner here. :p

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Someone on twitter said it was unfair Griner got a longer suspension because she was just defending herself.

I'm pretty sure you've completed the self-defense portion when your attacker is running away.

"Hey, you get back here and let me finish defending myself!"

Carnac

Reaction Score
Someone on twitter said it was unfair Griner got a longer suspension because she was just defending herself.

I'm pretty sure you've completed the self-defense portion when your attacker is running away.

"Hey, you get back here and let me finish defending myself!"

I think it's safe to say that BG simply lost it. Remember Peter Finch (Howard Beale) in Network (1976) - "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore". It appears that BG reached that level of frustration that night, and had enough and walked over to the window. She wanted a piece of Anigwe, consequences be damned. :mad:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner says suspension is symptom of WNBA's larger problem -

How much has this incident and subsequent punishment damaged Griner's relationship with the WNBA? Based on what she has said, it's a lot.

That highlights a bigger conflict than what happened on court Saturday: The league's stars, in particular, feel they are undervalued and underappreciated by the WNBA. And that's something new commissioner Cathy Engelbert can't ignore as she attempts to put her leadership stamp on the league.

[Story]

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

I just watched the 27-second video, and I didn't see anything inappropriate by Anigwe in that sequence. She was driving to the basket and collided with Lou Brown, and the refs called the foul on Brown. You can say that it should have been a charge called on Anigwe, but that's just one of hundreds of questionable charge/block calls -- they occur in almost every game. What did you think was dirty about Anigwe's play in this sequence?

Reaction Score
I just watched the 27-second video, and I didn't see anything inappropriate by Anigwe in that sequence. She was driving to the basket and collided with Lou Brown, and the refs called the foul on Brown. You can say that it should have been a charge called on Anigwe, but that's just one of hundreds of questionable charge/block calls -- they occur in almost every game. What did you think was dirty about Anigwe's play in this sequence?
watch the end of the video and you will see Anigwe throw the ball at Brown's face.

Reaction Score
You don’t see that?

Reaction Score
This interview validates what the video shows and what I suspected all along. It was not the events of this game that motivated Griner to do what she did. You could surmise this because in this last game Griner was the aggressor from the very start and Anigwe's actions were motivated by her attempt to get away, even her downward swipe at Griner. It was made while she was retreating. Griner had every intention from the very beginning to get Anigwe. If you watch the video closely that becomes obvious. Anigwe's first action came in reaction to Griners locking her up probably to get in some cheap shots in close. Even as Anigwe is backing up after she broke away Griner gets in a back hand to her head that is very difficult to see unless you stop action the slo mo. She was going to get her and Anigwe knew it.

Basically, as someone who plays in the post, Griner has to learn how to channel her anger into her play. There is a way, especially with her size that she could play aggressively and still dish out punishment legally within the context of play. She needs to watch Fowles, who has taken that to an entirely different level. She hurts people constantly and gets away with it.

Reaction Score
I'm frustrated and disappointed that this is the biggest impact Kristine has had on a game so far.

While it's honestly confusing to me in watching the video exactly what transpired and certainly how it exploded into such a fracas, I'm starting to think maybe some of the other Cal fans who questioned Kristine during her junior year slump might've been onto something (while I mostly defended her and gave her the benefit of the doubt).

Kristine did not develop a ton while at Cal (recall she was National Freshman of the Year). She should be studying other posts in the league not scrapping with them.
As a PAC-12 fan who watched Anigwe live on multiple occasions purposely elbow her opponents in the face and head and occasionally receive flagrant fouls for doing so when playing for Cal, it was refreshing to see the rookie running away in apparent fear from an irate Griner. Anigwe was often a bully during her junior season at Cal. One shouldn't poke the bear without expecting some kind of response.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This interview validates what the video shows and what I suspected all along. It was not the events of this game that motivated Griner to do what she did. You could surmise this because in this last game Griner was the aggressor from the very start and Anigwe's actions were motivated by her attempt to get away, even her downward swipe at Griner. It was made while she was retreating. Griner had every intention from the very beginning to get Anigwe. If you watch the video closely that becomes obvious. Anigwe's first action came in reaction to Griners locking her up probably to get in some cheap shots in close. Even as Anigwe is backing up after she broke away Griner gets in a back hand to her head that is very difficult to see unless you stop action the slo mo. She was going to get her and Anigwe knew it.

Neither this interview nor the footage of the incident are consistent with what you're claiming.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score

Basically, as someone who plays in the post, Griner has to learn how to channel her anger into her play. There is a way, especially with her size that she could play aggressively and still dish out punishment legally within the context of play. She needs to watch Fowles, who has taken that to an entirely different level. She hurts people constantly and gets away with it.

This makes no sense. I think you went into this with an axe to grind.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
One shouldn't poke the bear without expecting some kind of response.
Amen. I think Anigwe is still adjusting to a league where she doesn't get to get away with being the alpha (Cal) bear anymore... Personally, after seeing four years of her frequent muggings in the paint against Stanford, I think she got what was coming to her. And it doesn't surprise me at all that she and Ogunbowale are friends; they're two peas in a pod when it comes to taking the low road on court.

Reaction Score
As an ASU fan and a fan of high School women's basketball I had opportunity to see an Anigwe play over seven years. Her Detroit Pistons style of play is one thing. Her me first attitude is indeed another. In another thread I posted is there an issue with Anigwe some of the responses wondered whether I had a ax to grind against her. The discussion here reflects a more complete view of the package a team gets with Anigwe.The comment that Anigwe and AO two peas in a pod is on point in terms of their me first attitude.

Reaction Score
As an ASU fan and a fan of high School women's basketball I had opportunity to see an Anigwe play over seven years. Her Detroit Pistons style of play is one thing. Her me first attitude is indeed another. In another thread I posted is there an issue with Anigwe some of the responses wondered whether I had a ax to grind against her. The discussion here reflects a more complete view of the package a team gets with Anigwe.The comment that Anigwe and AO two peas in a pod is on point in terms of their me first attitude.

And also their dirty play!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom