Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Hmmmm - interesting... My first thought was I’m tempted to show up at 4:30 and try to get in free. Then I’m thinking, “If I don’t get a free ticket, and I’m already there at the arena, and it’s rush hour... I’d probably just buy a ticket and go to the game.

OK THEN I thought, “Maybe that’s what she had in mind anyway - ha!”

But then I thought, “I wonder if 300 people are even gonna show up to get free tix to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner. Good chance I’ll be one of the first 300. And, if I’m not, then I can get a “scalped” ticket outside for less than face value anyway.

But then I thought, “Why would I drive downtown in rush hour to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner - could you even pay me to do that?”

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Hmmmm - interesting... My first thought was I’m tempted to show up at 4:30 and try to get in free. Then I’m thinking, “If I don’t get a free ticket, and I’m already there at the arena, and it’s rush hour... I’d probably just buy a ticket and go to the game.

But then I thought, “I wonder if 300 people are even gonna show up to get free tix to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner. Good chance I’ll be one of the first 300. And, if I’m not, then I can get a “scalped” ticket outside for less than face value anyway.

But then I thought, “Why would I drive downtown in rush hour to see the Mercury without Taurasi and Griner - could you even pay me to do that?”
Ha ha. For some reason this reminds me of the famous "battle of wits...to the death" scene in The Princess Bride. You have a truly dizzying intellect. :cool:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up

a true hoop fan ('ratus gymnasius') can find roundball nirvana even in a freshmen scrimmage. between two schools both named 'our lady of no d.' outdoors. in a blizzard.
you'd better watch your step as you're this close to sliding down the food chain all the way to 'casual fan.' oh, the horror.

a true hoop fan ('ratus gymnasius') can find roundball nirvana even in a freshmen scrimmage. between two schools both named 'our lady of no d.' outdoors. in a blizzard.
you'd better watch your step as you're this close to sliding down the food chain all the way to 'casual fan.' oh, the horror.
Oh I’m still thinkin’ about it....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Anigwe kept backing up. She wanted no part of an angry Griner.
Someone on twitter said it was unfair Griner got a longer suspension because she was just defending herself.

I'm pretty sure you've completed the self-defense portion when your attacker is running away.

"Hey, you get back here and let me finish defending myself!"

Someone on twitter said it was unfair Griner got a longer suspension because she was just defending herself.

I'm pretty sure you've completed the self-defense portion when your attacker is running away.

"Hey, you get back here and let me finish defending myself!"
I think it's safe to say that BG simply lost it. Remember Peter Finch (Howard Beale) in Network (1976) - "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore". It appears that BG reached that level of frustration that night, and had enough and walked over to the window. She wanted a piece of Anigwe, consequences be damned. :mad:

Last edited:
Phoenix Mercury's Brittney Griner says suspension is symptom of WNBA's larger problem -

How much has this incident and subsequent punishment damaged Griner's relationship with the WNBA? Based on what she has said, it's a lot.

That highlights a bigger conflict than what happened on court Saturday: The league's stars, in particular, feel they are undervalued and underappreciated by the WNBA. And that's something new commissioner Cathy Engelbert can't ignore as she attempts to put her leadership stamp on the league.

[Story]