Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Reaction Score
Griner's infamous punch at Baylor

With one swing of her arm, Griner altered her public perception and her team's future. Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey vowed to deal with Griner behind the scenes.

There's no place for that in sports. I will deal with Brittney Griner, and it won't be discussed in the media," Mulkey told the media after the game.

I remember when watching the game I was reminded of the Rudy Tomjanovich sucker punch.

Reaction Score
Was Griner suspended a season or two ago when she was ejected for hitting (for lack of a better word, it was a smoosh or something) Pondexter’s head/face?

Reaction Score
Well I guess my thoughts about Anigwe were wrong. I assumed a fan that had claimed to watch her have a bad attitude since her high school days didn’t know what he/she was talking about....Now I see he was right.

Reaction Score
Was Griner suspended a season or two ago when she was ejected for hitting (for lack of a better word, it was a smoosh or something) Pondexter’s head/face?
I don't think she was suspended. Pondexter was also ejected, and was given a flagrant 2 on the play.

Reaction Score
violent nature? I would strongly object to that... she has been playing how many years? and had how many "fights"? Anigwe has got her own reputation for playing "rough". players (and coaches) have been targeting Griner for her whole career. Ask Shaq or Walton or Kareem or Wilt what that is like and I would not say any had a violent nature. I would say on the whole Griner has been pretty controlled.

Anigwe knew exactly what she was doing ... see how fast she ran away.

Absolutely. Griner's problem is that she doesn't know how to retaliate and make it look within the play like others. But like her incident in college, a close view from several angles of the 10 minutes or so of play prior to when the video starts would likely show that Anigwe is no innocent. And for as long as I can remember, shorter players have been allowed to rough up taller players.

Reaction Score
From 2010 deadspin

Even though Griner is basically Lambert and Blount rolled into, will she get off any easier than both of them? Will people come down even harder, because she's meant to be the next face of women's hoops? Are basketball fights just more accepted than they are in other sports? Am I just throwing out unanswerable questions, because I can't decide if Griner is the worst person in America or just a kid with lousy temper? I'm sure plenty of people will have an answer for me before this week is over. (Or will they?)

Reaction Score
Anigwe did start it. I wouldn't say it was with a punch though. More of a downward slap. They should not have restained Griner and just waited to see how long it would have taken Griner to catch Anigwe. More than likely she would have just gotten tired and quit.

One thing about Griner is that she needs to learn to channel her anger into her game rather than responses against players after the play is over. It seems like she just does not know how to do that. I mean if she learned to use anger to motivate and elevate her effort she would be a real handful. As people have said- she plays timid in games, but blows up after the play is over. The really great players you just do not want to get them angry because they will make you pay on the court/field. etc.

Anigwe is a real weasel. Slaps Griner and instantly runs off. Perhaps that is why Agler traded for her. He could use her to get valuable opposing players kicked out of games.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Anigwe is a real weasel. Slaps Griner and instantly runs off. Perhaps that is why Agler traded for her. He could use her to get valuable opposing players kicked out of games.

I did find this quote striking from the CT Sun coach after the trade:

Theresa gives us an experienced, young veteran presence who has a tremendous reputation across the league as a fantastic teammate and unifier in the locker room," Sun coach and general manager Curt Miller said in a statement.
As opposed to the player you just traded her for?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks for the video. I was at the game. Quite a commotion, but of course they didn't show the replay in the arena. So we in the live audience knew less about how it started than anyone else. I was wondering at the time if Glory was involved.

After watching a few times it looks like Anigwe did start it. That doesn't excuse Griner's retaliation, but Anigwe deserved it. Funny to see her running away so fast - kinda like an Egyptian tank (old joke from the Egypt-Israeli war in the late 1960's. Q: "How many gears does an Egyptian tank have?" A: "5 - 1 forward and 4 reverse.") She'll be looking over her shoulder next time they play, which is sorta the point of Griner standing up for herself. Maybe it's a good thing they don't play again this year.
She can run, but she can't hide. This is clearly, to me, a heat of the moment thing that ain't no thing. That doesn't mean that Griner will forget that cheap shot. But hey, I remember when Carmelo waited for Garnett in the hallway after the game when Garnett said to him, "Your wife tastes like Honey Nut Cheerio's". I remember when Metta World Peace (such an apt name) went into the stands and laid waste to an entire section of bystanders, some still sipping on their beverages. This event ain't spit. If y'all can't take a little occasional shoulder rubbing like Griner and Anigwe did then go watch a knitting circle. This is these women's livelihoods, and they take this stuff seriously, as they should. If there's one thing that will get the fans and media lit it's a real rivalry.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm frustrated and disappointed that this is the biggest impact Kristine has had on a game so far.

While it's honestly confusing to me in watching the video exactly what transpired and certainly how it exploded into such a fracas, I'm starting to think maybe some of the other Cal fans who questioned Kristine during her junior year slump might've been onto something (while I mostly defended her and gave her the benefit of the doubt).

Kristine did not develop a ton while at Cal (recall she was National Freshman of the Year). She should be studying other posts in the league not scrapping with them.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Scuffles are one thing, throwing punches and domestic violence charges are another animal.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Griner's infamous punch at Baylor

With one swing of her arm, Griner altered her public perception and her team's future. Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey vowed to deal with Griner behind the scenes.

There's no place for that in sports. I will deal with Brittney Griner, and it won't be discussed in the media," Mulkey told the media after the game.

I remember when watching the game I was reminded of the Rudy Tomjanovich sucker punch.

Barncastle did everything but harvest Griner's kidneys in that game. I'm not a BG fan, but her getting a bad rep from that game isn't fair. FWIW, the real villians in that game were the refs for letting all the extra curricular stuff go on for so long. I get it Griner is huge for a WBB player (and especially in college) but that shouldn't mean that she can fouled without having them called.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Barncastle did everything but harvest Griner's kidneys in that game. I'm not a BG fan, but she gets a bad wrap. FWIW, the really villians in that game were the refs for letting all the extra curricular stuff go on for so long. I get it Griner is huge for a WBB player (and especially in college) but that shouldn't mean that she can fouled without having them called.
Remember "hack a shaq"

Shaquille O'Neal left college after his Junior year because he was being assaulted on the court. He risked being seriously injured maybe even career ending if he stayed in college.

CL82

Reaction Score
Remember "hack a shaq"

Shaquille O'Neal left college after his Junior year because he was being assaulted on the court. He risked being seriously injured maybe even career ending if he stayed in college.
I do but the Barncastle game was worse in a lot of ways. It was as if she get escalating to see what she could get away with. The answer was pretty much anything.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
For some reason this clip came to mind.

As Steven A, Smith says, these days if you pass gas near a player it's a foul.

Reaction Score
Please, how about major credit to LeIlani Mitchell? The diminutive one was quick to restrain Griner and be the peacekeeper. BRAVA!!!
or AO running in but staying at least 10 feet away pointing for the ref to see. reminds me of the belligerent yelling "let me at them" but holding a third party in between.

Reaction Score
violent nature? I would strongly object to that... she has been playing how many years? and had how many "fights"? Anigwe has got her own reputation for playing "rough". players (and coaches) have been targeting Griner for her whole career. Ask Shaq or Walton or Kareem or Wilt what that is like and I would not say any had a violent nature. I would say on the whole Griner has been pretty controlled.

Anigwe knew exactly what she was doing ... see how fast she ran away.
Makes me want to rewatch the Cal game with UConn from last season. I know she was held to ten points but did Anigwe play dirty? Can’t remember.

Reaction Score
or AO running in but staying at least 10 feet away pointing for the ref to see. reminds me of the belligerent yelling "let me at them" but holding a third party in between.
You're reaching hard. Just about every player other than Anigwe's, Griner's, and Thorton's actions were seemingly normal considering the situation. Those situations don't occur often, but maybe both teams should start getting used to it.

AO didn't look like she wanted to fight, so I don't get the "Let me at them" nonsense you saw. She moved with the crowd, ready to hold back Griner or whatever player from her team might get involved. Thorton was the one was more "Let me at them" after both parties were separated.

Taurasi literally ran past Mitchell and Griner, to go and shove and get in the faces of the other players. It wasn't malicious, but her actions were not appropriate.. so her getting kicked out was well warranted.

CL82

Reaction Score
You're reaching hard. Just about every player other than Anigwe's, Griner's, and Thorton's actions were seemingly normal considering the situation. Those situations don't occur often, but maybe both teams should start getting used to it.

AO didn't look like she wanted to fight, so I don't get the "Let me at them" nonsense you saw. She moved with the crowd, ready to hold back Griner or whatever player from her team might get involved. Thorton was the one was more "Let me at them" after both parties were separated.

Taurasi literally ran past Mitchell and Griner, to go and shove and get in the faces of the other players. It wasn't malicious, but her actions were not appropriate.. so her getting kicked out was well warranted.
Who'd Taurasi shove? The video I saw just had her standing around.

Reaction Score
New from Griner: Basically saying if she gets a longer suspension than Anigwe and Thornton then she may not be back to the WNBA. Says the league doesn't protect its players, constantly getting beat up, and pointing it out to the refs, nothing. Says if she didn't love the Mercury so much she'd already be long gone, doesn't make any money doing this, so why put up with it, etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom