Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings | The Boneyard

Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Reaction Score
Interesting!

“Today I went on the court to make sure my teammate didn’t get jumped,” Taurasi said. “(Griner) got punched in the face and then someone ran on her back and threw punches at her face. I would do that 100 times out of 100 times.”

It appeared to me that DT was merely trying to halt the melee, but she was still one of the six forced to head to the showers.

ON EDIT:
I discovered that this story was posted on the board in another thread prior to my thread. I get upset with myself when I do this. I try not to step on any other members. I do a pretty good search before starting a thread, but in this case I missed it. It turns out that our esteemed colleague @Carnac posted on this story in a WNBA thread prior to me posting this thread. I have sent him a private message of apology.

NOW, please resume your “discussions.” I’m eager to find out who wins. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Link to Story: Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Last edited:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
DT obviously has no idea what happened. Nobody "ran on her back and threw punches." One player followed her with outstretched arms trying to hold her back and never really got to her. Griner as usual had her elbows up in faces and Anigwe got tired of it. Then of course Griner tried to initiate a full fight. Predictable.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
DT obviously has no idea what happened. Nobody "ran on her back and threw punches." One player followed her with outstretched arms trying to hold her back and never really got to her. Griner as usual had her elbows up in faces and Anigwe got tired of it. Then of course Griner tried to initiate a full fight. Predictable.
Tough to make Griner the villian here. She got punched in the face after the action. Pretty much anyone reacts to that.

Reaction Score
From a Dallas media source

"Anigwe was doing the same thing to BG [Brittney Griner] a couple of weeks ago in Connecticut," Mercury guard Leilani Mitchell told reporters after the game. "We just watched the replay and she punched BG first so of course, you can't be mad at BG, she has to protect herself. It got out of hand, that's on the refs, they have to stop that earlier."

While the win puts the Wings 4.5 games behind the Mercury for the final playoff spot, it's unknown what kind of suspensions the WNBA may levy for what transpired.

Reaction Score

I thought she was referring to when the player went after her after the ref grabbed her. Not sure who that player is, but if you watch the replay somebody comes up behind the ref and tries to get a couple shots in. Not to mention the fact that another Dallas player went over to Brittney (not sure what the intention was) after the initial scuffle with Anigwe.

Griner didn’t do anything wrong initially. It was Anigwe who started by pulling down Griner’s arm and swinging it. She can’t help that she’s 6’8 and her arms are that high when she’s boxing out. This was started by Anigwe and she knew exactly what she was doing as evidenced by her running away after starting it all.

Reaction Score
This, the DV issues with Howard and Williams, and the upcoming CBA fight... the new commissioner probably wants to bow out already. Lol

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Love it. Old school basketball. Maybe Anigwe will think twice about that face punching stuff when she faces Griner again. Hey, if the refs won't do anything it's time to take things into your own hands. My favorite part is Anigwe sprinting away from any further confrontation. You can run, but you can't hide.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Compared to the other Association this was a Mahjong tournament.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Found a cleaner video here....I thought Griner clocked her first at the 4 second mark with her forearm, but couldn't tell if she made contact first and then Anigwe retaliated which set off Brittany.

Even if I am wrong and it was Anigwe who started it, Griner just can't react like that. She clearly has anger issues that she still hasn't learned to manage. She chased Anigwe down the court and had to restrained by a ref and other players long after the initial infraction was over, then continued to throw punches while being restrained. And this is the third time in her career where she's been ejected for throwing punches or domestic violence. Unfortunately her violent nature is becoming a major part of her legacy.

Reaction Score
You are correct. From her freshman year at Baylor Griner has confronted a deep streak of anger or uncontrolled violence. As with any altercation or fight it does take two to tango.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
equal (r-f?)ights! somewhere in heaven tom petty is singing the background beat to this vid 'well, I won't back down..'

Reaction Score
Found a cleaner video here....I thought Griner clocked her first at the 4 second mark with her forearm, but couldn't tell if she made contact first and then Anigwe retaliated which set off Brittany.

Even if I am wrong and it was Anigwe who started it, Griner just can't react like that. She clearly has anger issues that she still hasn't learned to manage. She chased Anigwe down the court and had to restrained by a ref and other players long after the initial infraction was over, then continued to throw punches while being restrained. And this is the third time in her career where she's been ejected for throwing punches or domestic violence. Unfortunately her violent nature is becoming a major part of her legacy.
violent nature? I would strongly object to that... she has been playing how many years? and had how many "fights"? Anigwe has got her own reputation for playing "rough". players (and coaches) have been targeting Griner for her whole career. Ask Shaq or Walton or Kareem or Wilt what that is like and I would not say any had a violent nature. I would say on the whole Griner has been pretty controlled.

Anigwe knew exactly what she was doing ... see how fast she ran away.

Reaction Score
Interesting!

“Today I went on the court to make sure my teammate didn’t get jumped,” Taurasi said. “(Griner) got punched in the face and then someone ran on her back and threw punches at her face. I would do that 100 times out of 100 times.”

It appeared to me that DT was merely trying to halt the melee, but she was still one of the six forced to head to the showers.

Link to Story: Six ejected, including Brittney Griner, as fight breaks out between Mercury and Wings

Thanks for the video. I was at the game. Quite a commotion, but of course they didn't show the replay in the arena. So we in the live audience knew less about how it started than anyone else. I was wondering at the time if Glory was involved.

After watching a few times it looks like Anigwe did start it. That doesn't excuse Griner's retaliation, but Anigwe deserved it. Funny to see her running away so fast - kinda like an Egyptian tank (old joke from the Egypt-Israeli war in the late 1960's. Q: "How many gears does an Egyptian tank have?" A: "5 - 1 forward and 4 reverse.") She'll be looking over her shoulder next time they play, which is sorta the point of Griner standing up for herself. Maybe it's a good thing they don't play again this year.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
violent nature? I would strongly object to that... she has been playing how many years? and had how many "fights"? Anigwe has got her own reputation for playing "rough". players (and coaches) have been targeting Griner for her whole career. Ask Shaq or Walton or Kareem or Wilt what that is like and I would not say any had a violent nature. I would say on the whole Griner has been pretty controlled.

Agreed - how many fights has DT been involved in? - I don't see people saying she has a violent nature. I think it's the nature of the game - the best players get hammered all game, and then it escalates.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Two in game incidents now, both of which were pretty violent in nature, plus domestic violence charges. That might be a more significant history than anyone else in the history of the league, including the likes of Riquna William. If she wasnt such a standout we'd know her to be a potentially dangerous player with a short fuse.

Reaction Score

Griner "continued to throw punches while being restrained" because a Wings player (Kayla Thornton?) ran up on her (while she was restrained) and began to unload. Pretty bush league in my opinion.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Agreed - how many fights has DT been involved in? - I don't see people saying she has a violent nature. I think it's the nature of the game - the best players get hammered all game, and then it escalates.

Scuffles are one thing, throwing punches and domestic violence charges are another animal.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Griner "continued to throw punches while being restrained" because a Wings player (Kayla Thornton?) ran up on her (while she was restrained) and began to unload. Pretty bush league in my opinion.

Fair point.....I'll let her off the hook for that part but she shouldnt have lost her cool like she did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom