Sinple as this--trust in Phil Nolan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sinple as this--trust in Phil Nolan

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

huskymagic

Many teams dont have a Phil Nolan on the bench. Hes our BEST defensive big after Brimah and our formula in the past revolves around bigs who are mediocre on offense.

New line up--

C Nolan
F Miller
G Hamilton
G Purvis
G Gibbs

C Facey
G Calhoun
G Adams

Foul trouble
Cassell
Enosch

Scrappy every team has a Phil Nolan or better. Why Ollie started him is ridiculous when Facey has way more upside and a year of eligibility on him. Nolan is Olander 2.0 and nowhere near Charles Okwandu level.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Scrappy every team has a Phil Nolan or better. Why Ollie started him is ridiculous when Facey has way more upside and a year of eligibility on him. Nolan is Olander 2.0 and nowhere near Charles Okwandu level.

And yet, Olander started most of the year, including in the NCAAs.

Reaction Score
Facet needs to start in place of Nolan moving forward, and I'd rather see Enoch be the first big off the bench. If Enoch struggles a lot - and he'll have his freshman games where he will - then Nolan can start eating into his minutes on those nights. But even as a freshman, Enoch seems like he's ready to give a lot more than Nolan's capable of.

Facey isn't a great rim protector, but he's flat out the best option to start at this point. And it's not even close.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It must of been a great 2nd half. At the end of the first half I had to attend a small Xmas party. After the first half I wanted to come on the yard and post 2 things. This team is not ready for Texas and what the h**l is wrong with Nolan. Evidently those two concerns were ironed out. so, on to Texas Huge game..

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There is nothing 'wrong' with Nolan. He's two levels past his depth.

There are far, far worse things you can say about a person than saying they're just not good enough to play basketball at UConn.

It is what it is - play Facey, play Enoch.

Reaction Score
huskymagic said:

I know this is crazy but maybe the guys who make these decisions for a living know more than you. Most of the board seems to so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

Reaction Score
Facey played very well today and Enoch played ok. I expect Facet to see substantial minutes from here on.

Reaction Score
I know this is crazy but maybe the guys who make these decisions for a living know more than you. Most of the board seems to so it doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

I'm not sure about that Crack, maybe it's time for Assistant Coach Miller or KO to check with magic pre game?

Reaction Score
We can solve this for OK. I read, Enick has to much too learn and Facet is a deaf weakness. However, I read here that Knolin can take charge - so, quite Frankly, we
go with him until Brideah is ready to retake the curt. It is that sinple.

Reaction Score
lol Phil Nolan was -19 in 5 minutes today, in a game that we won by 50.

THAT IS LITERALLY ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. IN THE 35 MINUTES THAT PHIL NOLAN DIDNT PLAY, WE WERE +70... +70!!

Reaction Score
Facey played very well today and Enoch played ok. I expect Facet to see substantial minutes from here on.
Thing is, I can easily argue that offensively the team benefits with either Facey or Enoch out there. The problem is defensively. Even yesterday, both were extremely slow to rotate which allowed CCSU players wide open lay ups. I do believe that our perimeter players will adjust without Brimah and not expect weak side help because lets face it, with either Facey or Enoch its not coming.

Reaction Score
I actually like the idea of Nolan starting while brimah is out if for no other reason than to avoid having one of them pick up those ticky tacky fouls that are always called before the first commercial break. Against Texas small lineup at the start would be a major detriment on defense as they would go inside and those fouls would now be called on Miller or Hamilton who have to guard big. I think Nolan might continue to start and like Ccsu game play much less or not at all come second half. Can't afford anyone else with size not named Phil in foul trouble

Reaction Score
lol Phil Nolan was -19 in 5 minutes today, in a game that we won by 50.

THAT IS LITERALLY ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO DO. IN THE 35 MINUTES THAT PHIL NOLAN DIDNT PLAY, WE WERE +70... +70!!
No he wasn't he left after playing 4 minutes in first half and we were up 8-2. He only played 2 min in 2 no half

Reaction Score
I still have visions of Nolan with an unchallenged basket against Yale last year. His two-handed shock-and-awe slam dunk flew off the iron into the waiting hands of a Bulldog and turned into a Yale layup in our one-point loss.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I still have visions of Nolan with an unchallenged basket against Yale last year. His two-handed shock-and-awe slam dunk flew off the iron into the waiting hands of a Bulldog and turned into a Yale layup in our one-point loss.
wont the first and wont be the last time a UConn big blew a dunk
Big Al Lewis was the master
There were plenty of plays that day that led to the loss

Reaction Score

How about him playing defense against some Spartans, Gators and Wildcats and then putting on a NC ring?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

If you haven't let it go by now, you probably should.

Reaction Score
I could easily let it go if I saw any redeeming stats. In 9 games, he's amassed 13 personal fouls and 5 turnovers. 15 points, 8 rebounds, and 3 blocks doesn't balance out the damage.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Anyone could've scored one more point, had one fewer turnover, one fewer foul, one fewer missed shot etc in that game. It was one that flat out got away from us and was a team failure, not that of a single player.

Reaction Score
Anyone could've scored one more point, had one fewer turnover, one fewer foul, one fewer missed shot etc in that game. It was one that flat out got away from us and was a team failure, not that of a single player.
Can't argue with that--but the moment that I remember was Nolan's massive, unnecessary miscue. And nothing so far this year allows me to "trust in Phil Nolan."

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I meant "let it go" as in "we lost that game over a year ago, what could possible be gained by dwelling on it further?".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom