Simple fix for the Big 10! | The Boneyard

Simple fix for the Big 10!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delaney at press conference: "Yes, each Big 10 institution now makes $50 million a year from media revenue but we are not complete as as a conference until we make our woman's national basketball the very best in the nation, so today I am announcing the addition of the University of Connecticut to the Big Ten..."

[Looks out at stunned faces...]

jimdelanylax.jpg

"Nah, I was just messing with you... we're good as is."​

Reaction Score
Big 10 falling short against top teams: simple fix, UCONN to the BIG10!

Big Ten women's basketball lacks marquee wins

You clearly don;t understand what has driven conference realignment. It's all about football and tv markets. UConn fball is horrible and it's not in a big tv market. MD and Rutgers while not having great fball programs were in great tv markets. UConn's best chance and best fit to join a P5 Conference is the ACC eventually. That would occur possibly if ND joined in fball, not likely happening soon and then ACC wanted 16 teams

Reaction Score
You clearly don;t understand what has driven conference realignment. It's all about football and tv markets. UConn fball is horrible and it's not in a big tv market. MD and Rutgers while not having great fball programs were in great tv markets. UConn's best chance and best fit to join a P5 Conference is the ACC eventually. That would occur possibly if ND joined in fball, not likely happening soon and then ACC wanted 16 teams
Football has been rough but We are in a bigger TV market then most P5 schools. This has been discussed at great lengths in Conference Realignment board

Reaction Score
Football has been rough but We are in a bigger TV market then most P5 schools. This has been discussed at great lengths in Conference Realignment board
The UConn TV market is bigger than powerhouses Ohio State and Alabama, and that's before considering that UConn has some traction in the adjoining TV markets which are #1 and #8 in the country. Anyone still spouting the TV excuse is full of you know what because it's simply not some teeny tiny market everyone else thinks it is and has the additional benefit of being located in one of the wealthiest states in the country.

CL82

Reaction Score
Disagree regarding market. The Hartford/New Haven DMA is @ the 30th largest in the nation, is biggest target not already in the P5. That alone is a pretty decent target but keep in mind that Fairfield County has @ another million residents and is a part of the NYC DMA.

UConn total reach has been calculated as about 11 million (shout out to @Dooley.) There's a lot reasons why UConn doesn't have a home in the P5 but market size isn't one of them.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Disagree regarding market. The Hartford/New Haven DMA is @ the 30th largest in the nation, is biggest target not already in the P5. That alone is a pretty decent target but keep in mind that Fairfield County has @ another million residents and is a part of the NYC DMA.

UConn total reach has been calculated as about 11 million (shout out to @Dooley.) There's a lot reasons why UConn doesn't have a home in the P5 but market size isn't one of them.

Yes sir. And let's just say that Network Execs or 3rd party data consultants like BHV or Navigate do not want to give UConn a stake in the NYC DMA - you then have to re-adjust the state of CT as one single DMA entity. Hartford/New Haven (roughly 950K) + Fairfield County (another 950K TVs) = 1.8Mish range. In other words, top 20 DMA.

Markets are not UConn's issue whatsoever. In fact, nothing is an issue on our "P5 resume" except perhaps the most important component: a sinking football program.

Reaction Score

Grandfathered P5's are irrelevant. If conference were starting de novo now, there are plenty of old P5's that would not be desirable. The comment holds, to be added into a P5 it is about markets. UComm market is not even in the ball park of what B10 got from Rutgers and MD. When B10 added Nebraska that was about their name, they are in the top 5 in wins in fball history, with 3 national titles. That got b10 a marque name, tradition, etc....and great match ups when they play schools like MI, MSU, OSU, PSU, WI... UConn doesn't have the marque name in fball nor the market that made Rutgers and MD desirable.

Reaction Score
Yes sir. And let's just say that Network Execs or 3rd party data consultants like BHV or Navigate do not want to give UConn a stake in the NYC DMA - you then have to re-adjust the state of CT as one single DMA entity. Hartford/New Haven (roughly 950K) + Fairfield County (another 950K TVs) = 1.8Mish range. In other words, top 20 DMA.

Markets are not UConn's issue whatsoever. In fact, nothing is an issue on our "P5 resume" except perhaps the most important component: a sinking football program.

You're wrong. Read the previous post. UConn lacks what got the 3 previous B10 additions a bid. 2 had markets (MD/Rutgers)and 1 had tradition(Nebraska) as a top program.

Reaction Score
just a heads-up: when I clicked on this link, I got a literally cascade of pop-up ads, despite having an ad-blocker on my computer. I'm not patient enough to put up with that nonsense, but, perhaps some of y'all are.
Yeah I found it to be unreadable. BTW one of the pop-ups I got was, "Angelina Jolie Found Dead!" Courant is getting to be just about as bad.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If UConn is serious about up grading their football program, thereby making themselves more attractive to P5 conferences, they need to make re-making or completely revamping their football program "JOB 1".
That means doing whatever needs to be done. Formulate a model that will work. Hiring the right coach that has a history of winning, and knows how to build a winning program. Formulate a plan, and stick with it.

If you have the right model to begin with, it's not hard to stay with and work that plan. It all starts with having a plan (model) that will work, and hiring the right coach. If these two dynamics are not in place, don't bother, you're doomed to failure............kinda like we are now. Time is a luxury UConn does not have. You can't keep starting over and over again. Time waits for no man. Either get it right, or get comfortable being in the AAC.

Maybe like South Carolina did when they hired the old ball coach, Steve Spurrier. They went from the outhouse to the penthouse. From a bottom feeder, to a nationally top ranked powerhouse. Right now, there's a striking resemblance to UConn football, and Rodney Dangerfield. You can guess what it is. :eek:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Big 10 Commissioner Jim Delaney at press conference: "Yes, each Big 10 institution now makes $50 million a year from media revenue but we are not complete as as a conference until we make our woman's national basketball the very best in the nation, so today I am announcing the addition of the University of Connecticut to the Big Ten..."

[Looks out at stunned faces...]

jimdelanylax.jpg

"Nah, I was just messing with you... we're good as is."​

This is how the P5 conferences see UConn. That perception must change. Until it does, we're AAC bound. There are two types of programs in college athletics, the haves, and the have nots.

CL82

Reaction Score
You're wrong. Read the previous post. UConn lacks what got the 3 previous B10 additions a bid. 2 had markets (MD/Rutgers)and 1 had tradition(Nebraska) as a top program.
This post made me smile... @Dooley is one of the more knowledgeable posters on conference realignment. Both he and his data have been sited by national sports media. I doubt that you'll find many, if any, with a better working knowledge on the subject matter.

That said, your post seems to state that market size is important, unless it isn't and that football proficiency is important, unless it isn't. That is correct, actually, as far as it goes.

There are multiple factors in what makes a school an attractive potential addition to a conference. For a more detailed discussion, click here.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score

Of course Hartford/CT isn't New York or Washington. But you are talking as if UConn plays in Montana. The Big 10 added RU/MD because they delivered NYC and Washington and both schools are AAU. Cable boxes and AAU. Nothing else.

If we can fix our football program, UConn checks all other boxes for B12 or ACC. Last I checked, Louisville, KY; Syracuse, NY; Morgantown, WV; and Pittsburgh, PA are not exactly highly coveted markets either. And none of those schools have a national following/tradition like Nebraska.

Reaction Score
If UConn is serious about up grading their football program, thereby making themselves more attractive to P5 conferences, they need to make re-making or completely revamping their football program "JOB 1".
That means doing whatever needs to be done. Formulate a model that will work. Hiring the right coach that has a history of winning, and knows how to build a winning program. Formulate a plan, and stick with it.

If you have the right model to begin with, it's not hard to stay with and work that plan. It all starts with having a plan (model) that will work, and hiring the right coach. If these two dynamics are not in place, don't bother, you're doomed to failure..kinda like we are now. Time is a luxury UConn does not have. You can't keep starting over and over again. Time waits for no man.

Maybe like South Carolina did when they hired the old ball coach, Steve Spurrier. They went from the outhouse to the penthouse. From a bottom feeder, to a nationally top ranked powerhouse. Right now, there's a striking resemblance to UConn football, and Rodney Dangerfield. You can guess what it is.

I know what you're trying to say, but you can't compare SC to UConn. In the south college football is everything, especially in the SEC. Being in the south you are also in prime recruiting area. Only better is CA and TX, than SEC. Northeast is not a good area for CFB recruits and to be frank CFB is not important compared to College bball. The old big east was built on bball. Look at BC and SU, both actually have had past tradition in fball and have become annual bottom 1/3rd teams in the ACC. They can't get the recruits compared to the other ACC schools who are in the fertile recruiting areas in the south. UConn just needs to do enough improvement in fball to get ACC attention when next expansion occurs which will be likely when the next tv deals expire mid 2020's. UConn is not going to be a fball powerhouse rivaling OSU, Bama, Fl, USC, MI, etc...

Dooley

Reaction Score

If you have the right model to begin with, it's not hard to stay with and work that plan. It all starts with having a plan (model) that will work, and hiring the right coach. If these two dynamics are not in place, don't bother, you're doomed to failure..kinda like we are now. Time is a luxury UConn does not have. You can't keep starting over and over again. Time waits for no man. Either get it right, or get comfortable being in the AAC.

Maybe like South Carolina did when they hired the old ball coach, Steve Spurrier. They went from the outhouse to the penthouse. From a bottom feeder, to a nationally top ranked powerhouse. Right now, there's a striking resemblance to UConn football, and Rodney Dangerfield. You can guess what it is. :eek:

10000% spot on. This might be our last chance. B1G/FOX deal ends in 5 years. B12 GOR expires in 2024. We have until then to improve our football program or we are going to be locked out of Power Conference membership forever. I want UConn to go "all in" in football. Pay the right guy whatever it takes to come in and play modern-era football, with points and everything! Start winning football games again and we will all hear chatter about UConn going to a P5 conference again. Without it, we are destined for G5 mid-majordom what we currently sit in.

Carnac

Reaction Score
10000% spot on. This might be our last chance. B1G/FOX deal ends in 5 years. B12 GOR expires in 2024. We have until then to improve our football program or we are going to be locked out of Power Conference membership forever. I want UConn to go "all in" in football. Pay the right guy whatever it takes to come in and play modern-era football, with points and everything! Start winning football games again and we will all hear chatter about UConn going to a P5 conference again. Without it, we are destined for G5 mid-majordom what we currently sit in.

Admittedly, I'm not a football guru. I follow WCBB. I like and watch college football, but only from a distance.
Pay the right guy. Who is the right guy? Earlier I suggested Charlie Strong who is now available (he was still employed by Texas at the time. I predicted he would be available at the end of the season), but another poster who is much closer to the Husky FB program than I, nixed that idea. He gave sound reasons why Strong would never come to Storrs.

OK, maybe not Strong, but somebody like him with national name recognition, has had success on a grand scale, who is a great recruiter, who kids would want to come and play for, regardless of where he was. They would come to play for HIM!!! Somebody with a household name, with a winning pedigree in a major program(s). I know it's possible to pull UConn out of it's current situation, and become a vibrant, attractive program that will get the attention of P5 conferences. Kinda like the LA Rams are going to do. THey're looking to scrap everybody, and start from square 1. The fan base would be completely OK with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Of course Hartford/CT isn't New York or Washington. But you are talking as if UConn plays in Montana. The Big 10 added RU/MD because they delivered NYC and Washington and both schools are AAU. Cable boxes and AAU. Nothing else.

If we can fix our football program, UConn checks all other boxes for B12 or ACC. Last I checked, Louisville, KY; Syracuse, NY; Morgantown, WV; and Pittsburgh, PA are not exactly highly coveted markets either. And none of those schools have a national following/tradition like Nebraska.

Again, you miss the point. Yes, those programs do have a tradition. You clearly aren't as knowledgeable about CFB as other posters brag, if you don't know about the tradition of those programs and how they dwarf UConn's.

CL82

Reaction Score
Again, you miss the point. Yes, those programs do have a tradition. You clearly aren't as knowledgeable about CFB as you other posters brag, if you don't know about the tradition of those programs and how they dwarf UConn's.
I love this guy!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Again, you miss the point. Yes, those programs do have a tradition. You clearly aren't as knowledgeable about CFB as other posters brag, if you don't know about the tradition of those programs and how they dwarf UConn's.

Huh? When did I ever say our football program was some tradition-rich must add? I said "if we fix football, UConn checks the other boxes". Your point was about markets. UConn checks the markets box. UConn's B12 pitch included its potential reach into New York and Boston. http://static0.cloudapp.net/uconn/content/uploads/2016/10/Media-Market.pdf. UConn is/was the only candidate that is #1 in its home market and brings the potential of turning on TVs in NYC and Boston. The only one.

But humor me, if you will. Please tell me about Rutgers' football tradition. Birthplace of football then 130 years of losing? The B10 added them because of cable boxes and AAU. They just so happen to play football too.

Again, if UConn devotes its money and energy into improving football, there is nothing else that doesn't meet P5 criteria. UConn delivers markets, academics, brand, and athletic success (football aside).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom