Simi Shittu Talks Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Simi Shittu Talks Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Highly unlikely unless winning re-enters the picture with this new staff and team. Our track record was not relying on MD All-Americans. It has been consistently landing unde rthe radar kids, high motor and ceiling and willing to defend and know their role on the team. That is the kind of pipeline, talent level we need to re-introduce.

JA, nice progress however our only piece at this point injuries aside. CV may also have it but needs refining.
So you never expect us to win again? As for your point about our historical success being based on hitting on under the radar kids, it's kind of a nonsense thing that is always repeated on here. While we have had some real under the radar kids turn out much better than expected most of our success is based off of kids ranked around 40 who turn out to be better than that and every one of our best teams has had at least one 5 star recruit on it.

Reaction Score
It has been consistently landing unde rthe radar kids, high motor and ceiling and willing to defend and know their role on the team. That is the kind of pipeline, talent level we need to re-introduce.

I think I dislike this canard as much as the "UConn is at its best when it's off of everyone's radar and no one expects anything from them."

Reaction Score
We need to focus on a player without a curse word in their name. #Uconnluv is a family thing and is #rare. We should focus on the players that will stay 4 years compared to 1 and dones.

Reaction Score
So you never expect us to win again? As for your point about our historical success being based on hitting on under the radar kids, it's kind of a nonsense thing that is always repeated on here. While we have had some real under the radar kids turn out much better than expected most of our success is based off of kids ranked around 40 who turn out to be better than that and every one of our best teams has had at least one 5 star recruit on it.
Not sure how these comments are taken out of context of "never winning again". However, my definition of winning is not going .500 for the year and then a miracle at AAC tournament time to get in. It also isn't a consistent 15 point deficit to start games. Just trying to be a realist here.

In terms of recruting, it's back to academics as you properly laid out. You can recruit 5* when you are winning as you just stated, our best teams had at least 1 and I agree.

Reaction Score
I think I dislike this canard as much as the "UConn is at its best when it's off of everyone's radar and no one expects anything from them."
Successful if your speaking in puns. However, not sure of your point. Disliking an opinion?

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
We need to focus on a player without a curse word in their name. #Uconnluv is a family thing and is #rare. We should focus on the players that will stay 4 years compared to 1 and dones.
Do you really care what his name is? He could be named mother--c_cksmoker and if he was hitting the glass and scoring id be all about it.

Reaction Score
Ok but do we do this now, or after we hire the Seton Hall recruiters like you suggested?

Reaction Score
Those teams won on heart - assuming KO's heart has been in recruiting the past couple years that character trait doesn't produce equal results when it comes to recruiting as it does championship runs

Yes. Enoch, Durham and Vance Jackson sucked.

It is good they are off the team. Phew. We got rid of the heartless part of Ollie's recruiting.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I think that was before he had a big growth spurt. He's 6'10 now and now playing as a 6'7 power forward. He's actually got a nice skill set. Decent dribble and shot at the PF spot--that's big in the NBA right now, as you probably know.
This is correct. He's now 6-foot-10 w/ a 7-foot-2 wingspan, and is a kind of point power forward.

Not a wildly explosive athlete or a super-natural scorer, so he's not in the top 10. But the kid's a ball player.

pj

Reaction Score
Yes. Enoch, Durham and Vance Jackson sucked.

It is good they are off the team. Phew. We got rid of the heartless part of Ollie's recruiting.

We'll see what becomes of them elsewhere. Age 19 is too young to judge a kid's heart, and one never wants to make negative judgments. God bless 'em, but let's also hope that UConn does great without them, and their departures end up a win-win.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Highly unlikely unless winning re-enters the picture with this new staff and team. Our track record was not relying on MD All-Americans. It has been consistently landing unde rthe radar kids, high motor and ceiling and willing to defend and know their role on the team. That is the kind of pipeline, talent level we need to re-introduce.

JA, nice progress however our only piece at this point injuries aside. CV may also have it but needs refining.

Well, if you are leaving injuries aside, we have 4 pieces. Larrier probably would have been our best player last year. And Gilbert is by all accounts a stud. Now, injuries are definitely a concern, recovery for the former, and reinjury for the latter.

Reaction Score
Come on man. What's with the rationality? Get angry. Throw a chair at someone. Or celebrate our good fortune with a wild party. There's no place here for that kind of approach. Don't you know that we are doomed for all eternity/already back to NC contender status?
Just trying to be a realist. I've seen the kids videos. He's going to be very good. Hope we are in it, but when it gets to the point where he's making an announcement in front of 100 people and cameras on Twitter, I won't be watching.
*Edited to add: Yes I know you were being facetious.

Reaction Score
Very doubtful we get him. It's a good to see Ervin on 247 gave us a crystal ball, but he did the same with Sis the Kid and we know how that turned out: Simi Shittu drawing interest from UK, Duke and others

Kentucky, along with Duke, has recently contacted Shittu’s parents to get in touch with him, according to Rivals. The 6’9” Shittu is averaging over 19 points and 11 rebounds on the Nike circuit.

“If they were to offer me, they would jump in immediately,” Shittu said. “Obviously, they are a top team and it would help me a lot. It would show that the bluebloods are interested and it is going to help me blow up a little more on the circuit.” “Probably after the summer I will narrow it down, around August or September,” Shittu said. “I guess (I want to go) where I can play my game, a lot of development, a lot of NBA alumni and a coach that lets his players play.”

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Very doubtful we get him. It's a good to see Ervin on 247 gave us a crystal ball, but he did the same with Sis the Kid and we know how that turned out: Simi Shittu drawing interest from UK, Duke and others

Kentucky, along with Duke, has recently contacted Shittu’s parents to get in touch with him, according to Rivals. The 6’9” Shittu is averaging over 19 points and 11 rebounds on the Nike circuit.

“If they were to offer me, they would jump in immediately,” Shittu said. “Obviously, they are a top team and it would help me a lot. It would show that the bluebloods are interested and it is going to help me blow up a little more on the circuit.” “Probably after the summer I will narrow it down, around August or September,” Shittu said. “I guess (I want to go) where I can play my game, a lot of development, a lot of NBA alumni and a coach that lets his players play.”
I hope Anthony Davis happens to be visiting Carlos Daniel, and that Andre & Emeka just happen to be on campus whatever weekend it is that Simi decides to stop by.

You know, just coincidentally.

Reaction Score
This may have been mentioned already, but we got a crystal ball pick for him... by the same guy

Also picked us for Waters too. If anything, this is a bad sign ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom