Sierra Moore(G) to Transfer from Duke | The Boneyard

Sierra Moore(G) to Transfer from Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Wasn't she a Mcdonlds all American coming out of HS?

Wonder where she lands?

Reaction Score
Rebecca Greenwell, the highly ranked G they have coming in, apparently re-tore her right ACL during this past HS season and had to have a second reconstructive surgery, so she might be looking at a red shirt year, so their roster may stay pretty stable with this exception.

She was the #8 W/#49 overall prospect in 2012 according to ESPN.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
According to a Brandon Clay tweet, Sierra may be heading to Penn State. She is from Pennsylvania.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Once again, this demonstrates how great a country we live in. I find out breaking Duke news on a UCONN board. :p Sad to see any of our players transfer :(

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Once again, this demonstrates how great a country we live in. I find out breaking Duke news on a UCONN board. :p Sad to see any of our players transfer :(
It's one of those things tho - if she was lower on the depth chart, and looked at the guards you have coming in and felt she wouldn't be able to get the PT she wanted, I can understand it. When we lost Michala Johnson and Lauren Engeln, it was sad as fans, but understandable given the quality of talent ahead of them. Johnson ended up at Wisconsin and Engeln at BCU. Johnson, even if she's stayed, would have been behind Dolson, Stokes, Tuck, Stewart, while Engeln would have been behind KML, Hartley, Faris and Doty. Great kids, but the reality was they weren't going to see PT unless it was the last 5-10 minutes of a game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how both of them do. I think they are both solid players, just not at the level needed to earn substantial PT at a program like UCONN. I'm guessing maybe the same was true for Sierra?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Rebecca Greenwell, the highly ranked G they have coming in, apparently re-tore her right ACL during this past HS season and had to have a second reconstructive surgery, so she might be looking at a red shirt year, so their roster may stay pretty stable with this exception.

She was the #8 W/#49 overall prospect in 2012 according to ESPN.
A lot of people think that Duke is the preseason #2 coming into next season of they're basically going to be the same team as they fielded this season...I like UConn's chances.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It's one of those things tho - if she was lower on the depth chart, and looked at the guards you have coming in and felt she wouldn't be able to get the PT she wanted, I can understand it. When we lost Michala Johnson and Lauren Engeln, it was sad as fans, but understandable given the quality of talent ahead of them. Johnson ended up at Wisconsin and Engeln at BCU. Johnson, even if she's stayed, would have been behind Dolson, Stokes, Tuck, Stewart, while Engeln would have been behind KML, Hartley, Faris and Doty. Great kids, but the reality was they weren't going to see PT unless it was the last 5-10 minutes of a game.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how both of them do. I think they are both solid players, just not at the level needed to earn substantial PT at a program like UCONN. I'm guessing maybe the same was true for Sierra?

With all of injuries to our front court at the start of the season, Moore was actually playing in the PF position.... Even after we got a bit healthier..... when she did come into a game.. it was in relief of a big. Would have like to have seen more of her out on the wing.... to utilize her athleticism and quickness. If our recent transfers are any indication... she will do quite well wherever she lands. Chelsea Hopkins transferred a few years back.... and was the Mountain West Player of the Year this season, as well as an honorable mention All-American. Just looked up her stats... she averaged... 15.3 pts, 8.3 rebounds (not bad for a 5-8 guard), 6.1 assists, and 2.9 steals a game. Alexis Rogers also transferred in 2010....... and was named to the 2nd team in the MAC.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
According to a Brandon Clay tweet, Sierra may be heading to Penn State. She is from Pennsylvania.
Penn State can use a guard and Moore would be nice. I keep dreaming of Alyssa Thomas transferring from MD.

Reaction Score
Triad, so what's Duke's status for next year?

- Venerey graduated (which I still say is a good thing). Moore transfers.
+ Gray returns. Any other injured players back?
+ Frosh Cooper, Chidom, Holland added (#9, #13, #33 in the Consensus ranks)
0 Frosh Greenwell (#8) to redshirt?

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
What was Henson's injury again this year? I can't remember..
I heard people say they didn't think she would be playing much any more because of her injuries. But that might of just been dramatic fans.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
JoAnne McCauley Tweet: "Ethics No Doubt a Positive Word. How about Assistant Coaches recruiting kids from other schools during season? Par for the character of some "

Have to wonder if she's talking about PSU here. Also wonder how frequently does this happen.

Reaction Score
JoAnne McCauley Tweet: "Ethics No Doubt a Positive Word. How about Assistant Coaches recruiting kids from other schools during season? Par for the character of some "

Have to wonder if she's talking about PSU here. Also wonder how frequently does this happen.

Ethics ? That sounds like a major violation of NCAA rules

According to the Duke board, Moore wanted to go to Louisville. Where a former Duke assistant coach who recruited Moore is. However, Duke would not give her a release to Louisville.

Reaction Score

Contact by staff is strictly forbidden.
But with the way kids text each other, it would be pretty easy for players to contact old friends on other teams and say "hey, you should come here! we could use you." OR "unhappy? you'd play more here." The players could easily do this without or with approval of their coachign staff.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
McCauley is saying Assistant Coaches recruiting players from other schools, not the players.

Contact by staff is strictly forbidden.
But with the way kids text each other, it would be pretty easy for players to contact old friends on other teams and say "hey, you should come here! we could use you." OR "unhappy? you'd play more here." The players could easily do this without or with approval of their coachign staff.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

286x350px-LL-66e7f52e_Misc_OhSnap_Bear_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Reaction Score
McCauley is saying Assistant Coaches recruiting players from other schools, not the players.

Yes I did miss that on first read, but what I said still holds -- friends at different schools contact each other, and then one gauges interest with an assistant coach. How much the assistant gets involved at that point would be the critical area. But it could get fuzzy.

Consider these statements by an assistant ...
- "She is enrolled elsewhere. I can't talk about her."
- "She is enrolled elsewhere. I can't talk about her. ..... However, in general terms, we are always looking for talented players."
- "She is enrolled elsewhere. I can't talk about her. .... I will say, however, that I think she's a great player and would do well here."
- "How's your friend doing? If she's unhappy, she might want to think about going somewhere else. .... By the way, we'll have a lot of playing time up for grabs in 2 years ..."
- "You should contact your friend and she how likes her current school. Let her know there'd always be a place for her here."

The first is clearly fine; the last isnt. But where does one draw the line in between?

As I said the AAU connections & ease of texting make contact a lot easier among players. And an assistant could make use of that.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

I get most of the breaking Baylor news from The Boneyard. :(

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Really bad break for Greenwell? When did she tear her ACL last? Did she play USA Basketball this past summer?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Really bad break for Greenwell? When did she tear her ACL last? Did she play USA Basketball this past summer?

Tore her ACL her junior year, think she actually tore it playing USA basketball.

Reaction Score
That's why I'd like to see someone like Breanna who' been doing it since she was 14, take a summer off of USA basketball, and work at school on her game. They need to let the players have an opportunity to just be kids for a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom