Sierra Calhoun to Duke | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno knows what he's doing. Trust him. I'm still hoping for A'ja Wilson with all my heart.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
After the 2013-2014 season Duke loses Gray, Wells, Liston, Peters and Jackson to graduation. Calhoun should get plenty of minutes. Her father listed as the reasons for selecting Duke:
  • Opportunity to be an impact freshman
  • Opportunity to play with Alexis Jones
  • Strong bond with Coach McCallie (has anyone ever said that before?)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Looking at the Boneyard recruiting list.... Both Sierra and Lexie are committed to other schools. So of course we want A'ja. I do not think there is anyone who would say no to her. But who else do we want to recruit? Lynne, Taylor, and Kathryn I do not believe are committed yet. I have heard a lot of wonderful things about both Lynne and Kathryn.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Yes. My opinion is that it's weird you call them all by their first names.

HGN

Reaction Score
WOW.........I can't say that I am totally surprised when she did not commit earlier to UConn. Though I will admit that I would rather see her go to Duke than to NC or ND.

Good Luck Sierra.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I'm interested in the relatively recent bad feeling about recruits going to Notre Dame as noted above.
Sounds and feels like the old UTenn hatred.
I kinda like seeing what Muffit does with good talent
Anyway, no worries, we don't play them anymore…regrettably.

Reaction Score
Congrats to her. She picked a school with outstanding academics and a good woman's basketball program. I am going to take this a step further and wish her family (ie brother) win a National Championship!!! :)

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Congrats to Duke. I had hopes of her joining the Irish. That's consecutive years the Blue Devils have beat us out on top 10 wings.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
???????????

Joanne P. McCallie @CoachPDuke
Special Sunday! So inspiring when young people commit to principles & stick w/them despite others' trying to confuse/distort. #Strength

Oh brother. Wonder at whom that's directed?

Maybe she's been reading The Devils Den Messageboard :p

After the 2013-2014 season Duke loses Gray, Wells, Liston, Peters and Jackson to graduation. Calhoun should get plenty of minutes. Her father listed as the reasons for selecting Duke:

• [ ]Opportunity to be an impact freshman
    [ ]Opportunity to play with Alexis Jones
    [ ]Strong bond with Coach McCallie (has anyone ever said that before?)

Hopefully her husband :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maybe she's been reading The Devils Den Messageboard :p
I believe Coach McCallie is referring to people attempting to undermine Duke's reputation as the best waitstaff school in the country. Duke grads are still waitstaff in the best restaurants in America often holding those jobs for decades. No one can take that away from them not even Jeff Walz.

Reaction Score
Based on what I've seen of Calhoun's play I never viewed her as a natural fit for UConn, and for that reason I never expected her to end up at UConn. And if she end up at UConn I assumed it would be because UConn could successfully recruit due to geographic proximity and the relationship with her brother, rather than because UConn really liked her style of play.

I think it is very similar to a previous Christ the King guard with a similar style of play in Bria Smith. There were all kings of people saying Bria was going to end up at UConn, but considering her style of play wasn't a natural fit at UConn I always expected Bria to end up somewhere else even when people were claiming she was a lock to go to UConn. The same situation has now happened with Sierra.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I think Calhoun was looked at harder than Bria... just due to the brother connection

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Good luck Sierra!

I'm not terribly surprised; it seemed like the longer it took for her to commit, the less likely it seemed that she would end up at UConn.

I had the same feeling. :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A'ja is not a center and she does not want to play the 5.
I think her experience with USA Basketball may change her thoughts on that a bit, Eric. She played inside and outside as did Stewie. If A'ja is to fully develop her game she needs to recognize that reality. I think she will.

Reaction Score
With A'ja and Stewie you don't have to have a true 5, with them in the game together, other teams have a bigger problem defending them, and they can defend a 5, advantage UConn
Agree. The 2002 undefeated team did not have a true center. With a front court of Jones, Williams, and Cash, they were able to play excellent defense and rebound.

H

Huskyfan23

A'ja is not a center and she does not want to play the 5.
She is absolutely a center my friend. I also read her quotes about wanting to play the 3 but her game simply does not translate to that of a 3{at least it doesn't now}. Her ball handling skills are a bit limited and she doesn't have the consistent outside jump shot needed to keep defenses honest. Don't get me wrong she is a hell of a player and I am not knocking her but her bread n butter is in the post. She is too good of a rebounder and shot blocker to play away from the basket. She also has a tremendous feel for defenders in the post and can feel offside help coming and make the correct pass. I think that Wilson's game is absolutely perfect for the UCONN system.{and not just because I am a UConn fan} The way Geno likes to run his offense through the 5 at the top of the key and foul line area will allow for Wilson to use her athleticism to either drive to the basket or rely on her midrange jumper. It will also keep her close enough to the post to exploit smaller defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom