Sierra Calhoun to Duke | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She is absolutely a center my friend. I also read her quotes about wanting to play the 3 but her game simply does not translate to that of a 3{at least it doesn't now}. Her ball handling skills are a bit limited and she doesn't have the consistent outside jump shot needed to keep defenses honest. Don't get me wrong she is a hell of a player and I am not knocking her but her bread n butter is in the post. She is too good of a rebounder and shot blocker to play away from the basket. She also has a tremendous feel for defenders in the post and can feel offside help coming and make the correct pass. I think that Wilson's game is absolutely perfect for the UCONN system.{and not just because I am a UConn fan} The way Geno likes to run his offense through the 5 at the top of the key and foul line area will allow for Wilson to use her athleticism to either drive to the basket or rely on her midrange jumper. It will also keep her close enough to the post to exploit smaller defenders.

That may be our perceived reality but in the past she has expressed what eric said. Not every kid understands what is best of their development but I do believe playing with Breanna can help her see the benefit of a broader vision and development.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Keep in mind how UConn developed Tina and Stef with outside shots. Both played in the middle and outside. A'ja can be the same type player and who knows a little bit of Stewart too. As far as an outside deep outside shooter maybe not yet but that can be developed too, much like Tina and Stef. I think A'jas ability to take it to the hoop along with Stewarts ability to do the same would be an awesome two some. Now add Tuck . Remember this years Soph class has 3 more years.

H

Huskyfan23

Keep in mind how UConn developed Tina and Stef with outside shots. Both played in the middle and outside. A'ja can be the same type player and who knows a little bit of Stewart too. As far as an outside deep outside shooter maybe not yet but that can be developed too, much like Tina and Stef. I think A'jas ability to take it to the hoop along with Stewarts ability to do the same would be an awesome two some. Now add Tuck . Remember this years Soph class has 3 more years.

Tina Charles did not make a single 3 point shot in her entire 4 year UCONN career Tony. So I fail to see how Tina "developed into a deep outside shooter." Bottom line is that A'ja Wilson's game is from 15 ft and in. Will she be able to occasionally step out and knock down an outside jumper? Maybe, but she will never be the outside threat that Breanna Stewart is and that is just fine because she is just a different type of player. This being said I feel that Wilson can be a dominant rebounder, shot blocker, and scorer on the blocks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Would love to have seen Calhoun at UCONN. But best of luck her at Duke (except of course when playing against UCONN).

With the fact she hadn't committed already (with proximity, brother, etc in our favor), with Ekmark already committed and Rooks name popping up, it didn't seem like she would end up at UCONN. Well we can't get them all.

Would still love to see Wilson, Belton/Westbeld, and Rooks show up though.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Guys all I'm saying is she does not want to play the 5. If her experiences with Team USA (and Geno) can convince her that she can thrive the way she wants at UCONN with no true center in her class, a year ahead of her, and 2 years ahead of her at UCONN, and convince her to leave South Carolina for college, then I like our chances.

When UCONN started recruiting Taylor Rooks and I posted on here that it seemed an indication that either UCONN was backing off Calhoun, or that Calhoun was backing off UCONN, several people berated me. Take what I said FWIW. I don't need to be convinced that she can thrive at UCONN with no true center. Her freshman year she would have Stokes as a senior so it's not like we have no true 5...

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tina Charles did not make a single 3 point shot in her entire 4 year UCONN career Tony. So I fail to see how Tina "developed into a deep outside shooter." Bottom line is that A'ja Wilson's game is from 15 ft and in. Will she be able to occasionally step out and knock down an outside jumper? Maybe, but she will never be the outside threat that Breanna Stewart is and that is just fine because she is just a different type of player. This being said I feel that Wilson can be a dominant rebounder, shot blocker, and scorer on the blocks.

As a freshman, Tina did not have a reliable 10-12 foot shot, she got most of her points closer to the basket. Scouting reports pick up on this, and it means defenders can stay in close, and sag if she gets out near the foul line. With the help of the coaches, she developed that shot, which meant defenders had to come out and defend, which opened up the chances for a drive by, or get down low before the defender. Her longer range (3 point) shot has come later, and is just a natural extension of her work on taking shots other than point blank layups.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wrote in another thread last month

My kingdom for a guard and a wing.... I'd even be willing to give up burgers, cake, and donuts for a month if it meant Duke could sign a guard and a wing for 2014.

tumblr_inline_mn92zaitcZ1qz4rgp.gif

While Im still ecstatic with yesterday's announcement.... I really need to be more careful of what I write on these messageboards....... if Duke signs a guard..... Im in BIG BIG trouble :oops:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I wrote in another thread last month

tumblr_inline_mn92zaitcZ1qz4rgp.gif

While Im still ecstatic with yesterday's announcement.... I really need to be more careful of what I write on these messageboards....... if Duke signs a guard..... Im in BIG BIG trouble :oops:
I'll give up burgers, cake and donuts if UCONN can get Wilson and Belton.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I'll give up burgers, cake and donuts if UCONN can get Wilson and Belton.

But how often do you eat those items??? :rolleyes: I could say I would give up eating brocolli, brussel sprouts, and cow liver for a year for ___________, but since I would only eat those items unless being forced fed, or paid big $$$$$ ...... well.. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
But how often do you eat those items??? :rolleyes: I could say I would give up eating brocolli, brussel sprouts, and cow liver for a year for ___________, but since I would only eat those items unless being forced fed, or paid big $ ...... well.. ;)
Well if you are gonna be all particular about it.....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
In studying Taylor Rooks basketball background, she appears to posses the [3] elements to make her a very successful player. She must 1] 'Practice' a great deal for it shows in her 2] 'Performance' scoring numbers. As for her 3] 'Attitude', she is a leader in that she is willing to share the ball with her teammates to win.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
With Wilson and Stewart you have big (in terms of height) players who are basically "stretch fours" - power forwards with shooting range who can play in the post, but who also thrive with their mid-range games, outside shots, and playing on the perimeter.

There are a lot of ways to invert the offense, pulling the bigger players outside to make room for slashing guards or guards who can post up. When Alana Beard was at Duke, Iciss Tillis was the three-point threat outside on offense, though she defended other team's centers and power forwards on defense, while Beard would often be posting up on the low block. When Alison Bales was in the high post, she would be passing to a cutting Lindsey Harding or Wanisha Smith from the wing or the baseline.

I view Geno Auriemma as being able to classify positions as playmaker/lead guard, perimter players, interior players, and all-court players. To me, that is an easy sell to recruits, because he will develop their skillsets. Did Dolson have a foul-line jumper when she arrived in Storrs? No. Was that a big weapon that she developed and was on display for UConn last year, as a key component of the offense? Absolutely.

You can run high/low sets with Wilson and Stewart. You can have Wilson on the outside passing to a cutting guard. You can have Moriah Jefferson running a pick-and-pop with Wilson or Stewart.

Wilson saying she "doesn't want to play the five" (and I am paraphrasing here, as I have not seen the exact quote from her or have personal knowledge of what she said or what she believes regarding her collegiate position) might mean that she does not want to only be an interior player or that she does not want to spend so much time in the post to the detriment of developing perimeter skills, using perimeter abilities, or developing and improving her all-around game. Anyone who has watched Dolson or Stewart knows that will not be the case. Even Tina Charles, how many think of as solely a low block player had range to 15 feet by her junior and senior years and showed off her foul line jumper to keep defenders honest and to open up the offense for players cutting to the basket (e.g., Renee Montgomery and Maya Moore).​

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I view Geno Auriemma as being able to classify positions as playmaker/lead guard, perimter players, interior players, and all-court players. To me, that is an easy sell to recruits, because he will develop their skillsets. Did Dolson have a foul-line jumper when she arrived in Storrs? No. Was that a big weapon that she developed and was on display for UConn last year, as a key component of the offense? Absolutely.​

A thoughtful post.

IIRC, Stef did show that she had a foul-line jumper even in her freshman campaign. Certainly when you have a player like Maya Moore on the team, you're not taking as many shots as you might otherwise, particularly when you're a true center and your services are needed under the basket on a team that doesn't have a lot of size. The shot was definitely developed and showcased in the offense much more in her Soph and Junior years, where it became a consistent weapon for UCONN.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, Stef arrived with the foul line jumper. She used it sparingly during the freshman campaign as she focused on many other things. It was a shot she even slowed in two high school games I saw.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
With Wilson and Stewart you have big (in terms of height) players who are basically "stretch fours" - power forwards with shooting range who can play in the post, but who also thrive with their mid-range games, outside shots, and playing on the perimeter.
You can run high/low sets with Wilson and Stewart. You can have Wilson on the outside passing to a cutting guard.

Cam...74....good post w/ great insight... agree Wilson is a "power forward" as opposed to a true center. However, she is light years behind Stewie in shooting range and passing. She is very young and could obviously develop much more. What better place than in Storrs w/ Geno. That said, in Lithuania, Wilson took zero 3 pointers, Stewie took 24. FIBA stats had a "shot location chart" every game and Wilson was shooting from inside the lane 90-95% of the time. In addition to her 3's, Stewie took about 40% of her other shots from outside the lane. Wilson had 5 assists in 150 minutes vs 19 turnovers. Lots of work needed in the ball handling department. While Stewie is not an assist machine, she had 13 vs only 9 turnovers in 222 minutes. I'm not trying to dump on Wilson, she is truly a great, great talent. But, if she comes to UConn, she will arrive with far fewer skills than Stewie did. On the other hand, she is a rebounding machine, getting 71 for Team USA in those 150 minutes. (Stewie was 2nd w/ 56.) She is at her best as an offensive rebounder, w/ 31 or 44% of the total boards. One final observation about Lithuania, Wilson had 4 points in each of the last two games against true centers. Stewie had 39 pts in those last two games w/ the opposition defense trying to stop her. By the way, Stewie also led both games in rebounds w/ 8 and 9 respectively. Important games, big time performance!!

Is Wilson another Stewie? Not right now, but there is plenty of raw talent there for some great coach(es) to develop. Again, I realize you were saying she is "like" Stewie, not the same. :)
Go Huskies..!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
FullCourt on Sierra - Link

This part was noteworthy:

There was much speculation she would pick Connecticut where her brother Omar is a sophomore on the men's basketball team. However, Calhoun was swayed by the strength of the ACC and the vision of McCallie. "I believe in her and her vision for me," said Calhoun. "The program is knocking on the door of greatness."

Since a quote was not supplied re: the ACC strength, it would be interesting to know just what she said on that subject.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
This part was noteworthy:

There was much speculation she would pick Connecticut where her brother Omar is a sophomore on the men's basketball team. However, Calhoun was swayed by the strength of the ACC and the vision of McCallie. "I believe in her and her vision for me," said Calhoun. "The program is knocking on the door of greatness."

Since a quote was not supplied re: the ACC strength, it would be interesting to know just what she said on that subject.
Yeah, they are knocking on the door alright. And it is being closed emphatically by 30 point drubbings by UConn.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Has Taylor Rooks been offered by UConn?
Not that I am aware. On HuskyNan's recruiting site (LINK), it does not mention a scholarship offer for Rooks (but does for other recruits). That doesn't mean that Geno has not offered, but rather that an offer cannot be confirmed.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yeah, they are knocking on the door alright. And it is being closed emphatically by 30 point drubbings by UConn.
Well, as far as I know, this is the first comment by a recruit that the conference makes a difference.

I wish there was a direct quote instead of ow it was worded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom