Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
No doubt, TN has the talent, but not a Superstar (i.e. like a '3 to See' player - e.g. UCONN really has 2 of those kind of players now, KML and Stewart).

That's the question: who is the impact player who can carry Tenn next year? Its two best players in the E8 loss to Louisville won't be back (Spani and Williams). Simmons and Massengale have underperformed in big games. Carter played 7 games last season and Russell and Tucker have yet to play a game at the collegiate level. Graves is very good but not the game-changer (to use alex's term) a team needs to reach the next level. Who will be the game-changer who can make shots when it matters the most? Simmons has shown she can play like an all-american during the regular season but not so much under the bright lights of the NCAA tournament. Maybe it will be different next season.

Over the past 5-6 years UConn has made getting to a Final Four look easy while teams like Tenn and Duke have shown how difficult it really is.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I agree it isn't just Russell, getting Carter back is a big deal. I see Tenn as a potential FF team. Not yet sure whether the FF in Tenn will turn out to be added motivation, or a curse.
Why is getting Carter back a big deal?. From what I saw of her last year, I don't see anything special.

Reaction Score
Remember when Angie Bjorkland was #2 recruit overall in the country? Didn't do anything...... Taber Spani was a blue chipper..... nothing.... no final 4's..... Glory Johnson's class of 5 all in the top 20, nothin', including the infamous loss to Ball State! Ball State..... If you look back at UT's record...... they have only won NCs when a superhuman (Candice Parker, Cham Holdsclaw) has willed them forth...... discounting those two leaders, UTs last NC was in '91......

So I agree with those who do not see any superhumans on the roster to do the good work this coming year...... I hve seen Mercedes play in person..... she is not a world beater..... one should not be anointed a program saver merely on the basis of being the #1 recruit......

I am so excited about our upcoming season...... the focus will be strong..... and enthusiasm great..... I am getting my tickets for the Final Four!!!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Why is getting Carter back a big deal?. From what I saw of her last year, I don't see anything special.
We only saw just a little of her. She is real athletic, and puts good ball pressure on defense. Against Rice she blocked a shot against a taller player. She been taught the game very well. She can shoot the three. Also gives team another point guard.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
We only saw just a little of her. She is real athletic, and puts good ball pressure on defense. Against Rice she blocked a shot against a taller player. She been taught the game very well. She can shoot the three. Also gives team another point guard.

Is Harrison the type of player who would split time with Russell or would Holly put them on the floor at the same time, with Harrison at the 4? Graves is such a force at the 4 spot that I would think it's either Izzy or MR on the floor but not both.

If Carter stays healthy and MR makes good progress, the LVs will be a tough team by March. If they can develop some consistency from the perimeter (scoring), replacing Spani's contributions, they could make the FF. Otherwise it will be another year yet.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Is Harrison the type of player who would split time with Russell or would Holly put them on the floor at the same time, with Harrison at the 4? Graves is such a force at the 4 spot that I would think it's either Izzy or MR on the floor but not both.

If Carter stays healthy and MR makes good progress, the LVs will be a tough team by March. If they can develop some consistency from the perimeter (scoring), replacing Spani's contributions, they could make the FF. Otherwise it will be another year yet.
I think Russell will be on the floor with both. Harrison or Graves get in foul trouble or need a rest. I agree Graves is a warrior. Having another post will help all of them by March.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Buzz, and all y'all feeling a bit impatient or stressed. Relax, please. We're talking about a high school junior. She has enormous ability and potential, and, this is probably the biggest decision she's had to face in her life thus far. Personally, I don't begrudge her a bit, in taking however much time she needs to make the best choice she can. I've had two daughters, and I've coached high school girls (softball) for many years. Others can analyze this demographic better than I, but I can tell you this: often, there is a greater fear of disappointing others, or making the "wrong move" than there is satisfaction in "doing the right thing". Sometimes, they can feel almost paralyzed by it: and, a girl like this has a LOT more people in her ear, and media attention, than a typical high-school junior trying to winnow down their college field.

Some kids will take the "get this over with" route, and make a quick decision - it may be because they really know what they want, or it may be because they're sick and tired of the circus, and are desperate to make it quiet down.

Some kids will take the "slow and careful" route, and make a long, considered decision - it may be because they really want to be as sure as possilbe, or it may be because they enjoy the circus.

Not only do you and I not know how they're processing this, but, even their best friend, parents, and coaches can't be completely sure: even the kid herself may not fully understand all the forces/thoughts/impulses warring in her head.

So, she doesn't owe us a quick decision - nor, anybody else, for that matter. She only owes it to herself to make the best decision she can on her own timetable. Speculating on her motivations is foolish, in the extreme. Doesn't change her process one iota, and only raises your own stress level.

This post bears serious consideration.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
That's the question: who is the impact player who can carry Tenn next year? Its two best players in the E8 loss to Louisville won't be back (Spani and Williams). Simmons and Massengale have underperformed in big games. Carter played 7 games last season and Russell and Tucker have yet to play a game at the collegiate level. Graves is very good but not the game-changer (to use alex's term) a team needs to reach the next level. Who will be the game-changer who can make shots when it matters the most? Simmons has shown she can play like an all-american during the regular season but not so much under the bright lights of the NCAA tournament. Maybe it will be different next season.

Over the past 5-6 years UConn has made getting to a Final Four look easy while teams like Tenn and Duke have shown how difficult it really is.

You know you really didnt have to include Duke in your post to prove your point :(

Reaction Score
Should we change the title of this Thread to "Tennessee's Chances at a FF? Previously Known as Sierra Calhoun Down to 4 Schools"

You are absolutely right! Its amazing how some threads get side tracked.

Reaction Score
ETT, I think we should all thank you for your continuing interest in LadyVols basketball.

I guess ETT has a thing for underachieving teams including the Lady Vols (five consecutive years without making a FF) and Lady Bears (only one FF appearance in the BG era...REALLY?!)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess ETT has a thing for underachieving teams including the Lady Vols (five consecutive years without making a FF) and Lady Bears (only one FF appearance in the BG era...REALLY?!)

But He isnt a fan of Duke though.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
In ETT's defense, Griner made two Final Fours. Her freshman year she got schooled by Tina Charles and UConn won by 20.

Now, it's ridiculous that Baylor only got to two FFs with Griner, and one (so far) with Sims.

Reaction Score
First off, a tip of the cap to ALEX. Terrific post.

I can think of only one reason why she would not pick UCONN out of that list. That would be that her brother has told her that UCONN is not the place......and I've neither seen nor heard anything to substantiate that outside possibility. In addition, I recollect that Pop has said that he hope she'll end up here with her brother. Am I right on that? If so, pretty powerful.

I'll close with another question: seems that she is a player of the calibre that UCONN would want, but does anybody know what kind of a kid she is? Is she UCONN material from a character point of view? I have NO pro or con info on this. Obviously, the coaching staff thinks she is made of the right stuff, as they've offered her. What is known about what type of kid she is?
Should take care of your fears about the kid...
http://nymag.com/news/sports/omar-calhoun-sierra-calhoun-2012-2/

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and we wonder why some fathers are sooooooooo "involved".. thanks for the link ju6

Reaction Score
We can only hope that sierra picks UCONN! She seems like a perfect fit.

Reaction Score
Should take care of your fears about the kid...

JU: exactly the kind of stuff I was looking for. Sounds like a tremendous pair of parents and a great value system running thru the family. Alot of very good comments re Omar Jr, the person, as well. Glad you dug that up, and I read every word with great interest. Sounds like a Sierra-UCONN match would be just about parallel to the one mom and dad seem to have, eh? Solid!

Reaction Score
As they say never go to bed with someone with crazier then yourself.

I dated a couple girls who watched the Miss America pageant.

MEYER: powerful evidence that they appreciate the spectacular.....you're lookin good.

Reaction Score
Well, UConn has offered other girls in the past who proved not to be the right fit. It happens. One thing that is unsettling is that she has both Tennessee and Duke in the mix and it seems to me that those schools have for a long time had a load of talent that never came close to achieving what their talent level suggested they would. Underachievers!!!! Notre Dame has seemed to do well, even when their talent level wasn't the best and of course, we know what UConn has done in the past with lesser talent. That lesser talent hasn't happened for a while because we've gotten quite a bit of talent over the last twenty years or so when we finally got on the national stage. I'm starting to think that maybe Sierra would rather be a major player on a team that achieves less rather than a contributor to a bigger puzzle. This is speculation on my part but it would seem that every factor suggests she should have already made a decision to commit to UConn with proximity, her brother being a Huskie, her Dad wanting his two kids both playing in Storrs and the quality of the kids on our roster, both skill wise and personality wise. Yet she hasn't done so!!!!!!!!

BUZZ-- Understand your thinking. There is a very recent post in this thread which might have just come up tonight, giving a link to a terrific article about the family. ONe point made is that Dad keeps his cards close to the vest, and perhaps Sierra does too. A major theme of the article is that this is a terrific family....they sure sound like a UCONN fit with "Our GIrls" BIG time.

Reaction Score
Well, it seems this thread is morphing away from discussion of chances of UCONN winning the recruitment battle for Sierra Calhoun, and that's fine. But, for my part, I'd like to say I am very impressed with you, Sierra. Of course, I'm biased. I have a granddaughter named Sierra, so I'm naturally in favor of you ;-p

I see you are rated #10 by Hoopgurlz and I see you made all metro 1st team this year, averaging 22pts/game. That is impressive. I suspect you'll do even more in your senior season, which I look forward to monitoring. Based on video I've seen, you are agile and strong. Even as a junior, you were easily the most confident player and you were in command of your game, as I see it.

Here's a link with an example:

http://www.msgvarsity.com/brooklyn-bronx/2012-13-all-metro-first-team-sierra-calhoun-1.1436111

UCONN fans are very interested in you. We support our team strongly, follow it closely and we take pride in getting to know our players both as basketballers and as excellent student/athletes. You will fit in wonderfully here should you decide on UCONN, as we all hope you will.

View attachment 2925

JPLOT: VERY well put on behalf of virtually all of us Yarders.

Reaction Score
No doubt, TN has the talent, but not a Superstar (i.e. like a '3 to See' player - e.g. UCONN really has 2 of those kind of players now, KML and Stewart). It's more putting it all together, which they have had trouble doing for awhile. They will have a good team, probably top 8, but I don't know if they can get to the FF. They were given a gift this year and still couldn't pull it off.

MYERS: your recent display of wisdom (ie., seeing things the way I see them.....re KML and Stew for example) is somewhat unsettling. BUt I do take full credit for your metamorphasis, of course- given the lengthy and patient tutelage I've provided.

(And I do realize that my compliment will be unsettling to you, in return. That is meant to be a preemptive strike of course, but i'm sure you will find a way to foil that effort.)

Reaction Score
Remember when Angie Bjorkland was #2 recruit overall in the country? Didn't do anything...... Taber Spani was a blue chipper..... nothing.... no final 4's..... Glory Johnson's class of 5 all in the top 20, nothin', including the infamous loss to Ball State! Ball State..... If you look back at UT's record...... they have only won NCs when a superhuman (Candice Parker, Cham Holdsclaw) has willed them forth...... discounting those two leaders, UTs last NC was in '91......

So I agree with those who do not see any superhumans on the roster to do the good work this coming year...... I hve seen Mercedes play in person..... she is not a world beater..... one should not be anointed a program saver merely on the basis of being the #1 recruit......

I am so excited about our upcoming season...... the focus will be strong..... and enthusiasm great..... I am getting my tickets for the Final Four!!!

BAY: Sturdy!!! A tip of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01