Sid Wilson update | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Said he's staying in 2018, and that uconn wants him for 2018. He's not committing anytime soon.

Also kinda random but he said he doesn't drink or smoke, that must be appealing to college coaches, not having to worry about their players getting busted.

Reaction Score
Said he's staying in 2018, and that uconn wants him for 2018. He's not committing anytime soon.

Also kinda random but he said he doesn't drink or smoke, that must be appealing to college coaches, not having to worry about their players getting busted.
You really think he would actually say on ig live that he drinks or smokes . Not saying he does but obviously that's what he's gonna say if asked on social media.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
The staff has clearly learned their lesson from the Bruce Brown debacle and is smart to stay on him for 2018. There are a lot of names in this tournament of guys UConn missed on that would have been so valuable this year: Bruce Brown, Benny Boatwright, Myles Powell, Justin Jackson, Tyrique Jones, Tyler Dorsey to name a few. A lot of these guys were UConn's to lose at one point. Sid Wilson seems like one of those guys you don't want to skip over because of a reclass decision.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Bruce Brown was a horrible mistake.

Fairly clear Wilson is going to stay in 2018 - Syracuse and Texas will also recruit him pretty hard. I think he has some sort of family connection to Texas - a brother or something.

UConn's also recruiting a kid named Hameir Wright, out of Albany. He's another forward, perhaps more of a four right now, but he'll be transferring to Brewster for next season to play alongside Wilson.

He's rated a bit higher than Wilson and is probably Syracuse's priority. Who knows after this weekend, but I think they were a solid favorite for him.

Reaction Score
It's possible I'm thinking of someone else, or just wrong. But wasn't a part of moving on from Bruce Brown that he wanted to play point and that wasn't going to happen here?

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
It's possible I'm thinking of someone else, or just wrong. But wasn't a part of moving on from Bruce Brown that he wanted to play point and that wasn't going to happen here?

You have it right.

But don't let that tidbit stop people from telling you he was a huge miss and the staff messed up (with McD's AA Gilbert in the class no less).

And while we're on it, why do people constantly group him with misses due to recruiting restrictions/head coaching change/conference realignment?? Underwhelming recruiting from 2012-14 isn't the same as missing on a guy in 2016. In the former, we were hamstrung and didn't have a proven coach. Now we just have this conference to try and mitigate.

There have been objective misses (Hami) but the guys we were in on and lost during those transition years (Abu, Devin Robinson, Colson, etc etc) aren't good barometers of the staff's recruiting prowess.

Oh and Tyrique Jones is literally the same player as Diarra, except was lower ranked out of HS...

People seriously have memory loss when it comes to recruiting. Other teams get guys we recruited and they become good players. Relax. Support the guys who come here. Bruce Brown is a nice player, but I love me some Christian Vital and I can't wait to see a healthy Alterique in a husky uniform.

Reaction Score
Heard the staff was really pushing 2017
Are they doing the same with David Duke? He was originally a 2017 and is supposedly going to be eligible.

Reaction Score
You have it right.

But don't let that tidbit stop people from telling you he was a huge miss and the staff messed up (with McD's AA Gilbert in the class no less).

And while we're on it, why do people constantly group him with misses due to recruiting restrictions/head coaching change/conference realignment?? Underwhelming recruiting from 2012-14 isn't the same as missing on a guy in 2016. In the former, we were hamstrung and didn't have a proven coach. Now we just have this conference to try and mitigate.

There have been objective misses (Hami) but the guys we were in on and lost during those transition years (Abu, Devin Robinson, Colson, etc etc) aren't good barometers of the staff's recruiting prowess.

Oh and Tyrique Jones is literally the same player as Diarra, except was lower ranked out of HS...

People seriously have memory loss when it comes to recruiting. Other teams get guys we recruited and they become good players. Relax. Support the guys who come here. Bruce Brown is a nice player, but I love me some Christian Vital and I can't wait to see a healthy Alterique in a husky uniform.

I thought the more accurate story was that we wanted him in 2015 because we were saving a spot for Hami in 2016, and when he didn't want to reclassify, we moved on. At UConn we often employ a 2 PG lineup, so I don't see that being the main issue. He also knew Jalen Adams was on the team and is more of a pure PG....

That being said, you're right in the fact that if we take Brown in '16 we probably don't take Vital, who had a hell of a freshman year. Brown's upside is probably higher, but Vital has a better chance to make a long term college impact. Regardless, we had no idea we were going to get Vital when we decided to pass on Brown. And Colson is another guy we could have had if we wanted him - not a guy who we "lost" on.

I don't care about Tyrique Jones, but Brown and Colson were definitely guys we passed on that were not good decisions.

Reaction Score
I thought the more accurate story was that we wanted him in 2015 because we were saving a spot for Hami in 2016, and when he didn't want to reclassify, we moved on. At UConn we often employ a 2 PG lineup, so I don't see that being the main issue. He also knew Jalen Adams was on the team and is more of a pure PG....

That being said, you're right in the fact that if we take Brown in '16 we probably don't take Vital, who had a hell of a freshman year. Brown's upside is probably higher, but Vital has a better chance to make a long term college impact. Regardless, we had no idea we were going to get Vital when we decided to pass on Brown. And Colson is another guy we could have had if we wanted him - not a guy who we "lost" on.

I don't care about Tyrique Jones, but Brown and Colson were definitely guys we passed on that were not good decisions.
Is it me or does it seem like Wilson isn't that interested in UConn? Reading tens of thousands of blurbs over the years, I don't get that vibe that he is that into UConn. Seems like we would be Top 5 but not cross the finish line. I haven't followed it that close but just a hunch. Could be totally wrong, just a gut feel here. NOT saying staff to stop just a hunch from thousands of blurbs over the years. I don't follow recruiting like i did 10-15 years ago.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score

Brown is a combo-guard (and a good one). We had Jalen and needed another PG, not combo. Also Brown was branded as an average or below-average shooter, more of a slashing CG. Alterique is the direct competition to Brown, not Vital. Vital wasn't brought in to be a PG, but was rather a branded shooter and lockdown defender. He filled a need, Brown did not.

To his credit, Brown shot 35% from 3 this year, much better than expected (Vital shot 37% on higher volume). He's played the 2-guard nicely at Miami.

Gilbert was the need and better fit, and it's a shame he got injured (along with like half the roster). Don't let a slew of injuries and a good freshman campaign from a former target lead you to "Ollie can't recruit/identify talent"

As for Colson, I'm not privy to how that recruitment went down, and hindsight 20/20 he would've been awesome here (same with Abu). That said, we ended up with Lubin that class, so I'm guessing there was some reason we didn't get him besides staff negligence. Projected forward though, Diarra, Polley, and Carlton are all recruits that fit the kind of 75-150 underrated stock riser bill. So when everyone complains we get these guys but not the Bonzie Colsons, they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Anyway, I'm willing to admit Brown is a nice player, but the staff went in a different direction. Roster management is part of recruiting, not just we should've gotten the guys who ended up being better than expectations.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply Mooch

Reaction Score
Brown is a combo-guard (and a good one). We had Jalen and needed another PG, not combo. Also Brown was branded as an average or below-average shooter, more of a slashing CG. Alterique is the direct competition to Brown, not Vital. Vital wasn't brought in to be a PG, but was rather a branded shooter and lockdown defender. He filled a need, Brown did not.

To his credit, Brown shot 35% from 3 this year, much better than expected (Vital shot 37% on higher volume). He's played the 2-guard nicely at Miami.

Gilbert was the need and better fit, and it's a shame he got injured (along with like half the roster). Don't let a slew of injuries and a good freshman campaign from a former target lead you to "Ollie can't recruit/identify talent"

As for Colson, I'm not privy to how that recruitment went down, and hindsight 20/20 he would've been awesome here (same with Abu). That said, we ended up with Lubin that class, so I'm guessing there was some reason we didn't get him besides staff negligence. Projected forward though, Diarra, Polley, and Carlton are all recruits that fit the kind of 75-150 underrated stock riser bill. So when everyone complains we get these guys but not the Bonzie Colsons, they're talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Anyway, I'm willing to admit Brown is a nice player, but the staff went in a different direction. Roster management is part of recruiting, not just we should've gotten the guys who ended up being better than expectations.

We didn't get Colson and Brown because of staff negligence. It is what it is.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why there was so much concern with creating a logjam at the guard position whether pg/cg/sg. When we have the opportunity to land top talent I think we should 100% bring them in.

Bruce Brown is the projected 15th overall pick in the 2018 draft. to say he has played the 2-guard "nicely" would be an understatement

DraftExpress - 2018 Mock Draft

Reaction Score
This cannot be emphasized enough
One of the dumbest mistakes we have ever made on the recruiting trail. Atop 30 McDonalds type kid wants to come to UCONN and we turn him down?

Has Ollie ever heard of: "A bird in the hand is worth TWO in the bush"?

I was dumfounded when he did this last year and still cant believe it with how GREAT Brown has become. He would have been a key player here @ UCONN.

Skies17

Casual Fan
Reaction Score
I don't understand why there was so much concern with creating a logjam at the guard position whether pg/cg/sg. When we have the opportunity to land top talent I think we should 100% bring them in.

Bruce Brown is the projected 15th overall pick in the 2018 draft. to say he has played the 2-guard "nicely" would be an understatement

DraftExpress - 2018 Mock Draft

Brown was 26th in ESPN's Top 100.
Mustapha Heron was 25th ... how did he do? Where is he projected? ... oh not projected in the next two drafts?

No one expected him to be this good. He exceeded expectations.

One of the dumbest mistakes we have ever made on the recruiting trail. Atop 30 McDonalds type kid wants to come to UCONN and we turn him down?

Has Ollie ever heard of: "A bird in the hand is worth TWO in the bush"?

I was dumfounded when he did this last year and still cant believe it with how GREAT Brown has become. He would have been a key player here @ UCONN.

We got Alterique Gilbert ... the actual All-American Point Guard???

Reaction Score

Thanks KO. But we received Gilbert's commitment pretty early in the process (July 4th, 2015). Pretty sure we could've taken Brown as well and he was still interested in us after Gilbert committed. I don't believe Gilbert and Brown were competing for a spot; like I said, from my recollection we wanted to save that spot for a Hami reclassification. By the time we realized that wasn't going to happen, Brown had already committed to Miami and we ended up scooping up Vital after he de-committed from UNLV (quite the coup).

Regarding Colson, I see your point, but I'm not one of the guys complaining about the three you mentioned. And even though Colson was ranked lower, it was obvious he was a "basketball player". I feel like sometimes we get hung up on taking guys with tools rather than sometimes the lesser athlete who may be a better basketball player. We did take Lubin, but that was wayyyyyy late, after Colson had already committed to ND. Kids like Brown and Colson will eventually go another direction if they aren't wanted by a program like UConn...we aren't talking about 2* talents. Other good options were there for them, and they took them. But make no mistake, we could have had both if we wanted them.

Reaction Score
Would love to have had Bonzie he just seemed like one of those guys when he came out of HS. Swing and miss, if there was a swing.

Brown would seem to be a combination of a kid wanting to play the point immediately (nut sure just saying) or the fact they thought Hami was more important. If it's the latter then strike2!

Reaction Score
Can anybody tell me why Jim Calhoun didn't recruit Rya........oh wait.....nevermind.

Brown and Colson we're uuggggeee misses but magnified by the fact that we badly need bulky front line depth (which is we why jumped at Cobb) and the fact that Gilbert was hurt this year. If Gilbert wasn't hurt and was a 10 and 6 guy then we wouldn't be sitting here discussing the hypothetical with Brown in the fold -- we'd probably be talking about how we just got bounced in the 2nd round of the tournament for the 2nd year in a row. Anyway, if Brown would've come without demanding to be starting PG then the staff should've taken him or been able to sell him on our long lineage of successful 2/3 guard wing players. At 6-4, 200 with a 6-9 wingspan, this is the type of athlete that Jim Calhoun would've salivated over and never let out of his backyard.

Kevin Ollie is a young coach and he made some bad mistakes here but, hopefully, he'll learn from these mistakes and not up the recruitment of uber talented New England players in the future.

Reaction Score
Bruce Brown was a horrible mistake.

We all make mistakes ;)

24vnmtl.jpg

After watching him dominate the EYBL I described Brown as "unbelievably talented." Dude was the Westbrook of the EYBL. At the time, I thought maybe off the court issues (ie grades) could be affecting his lack of recruitment but there was no evidence of that. Ultimately, I think us believing we had Hami in the bag and him wanting to play PG had a lot to do with it. Maybe he didn't want to complete with his cousin for PT or live in Jalen's shadow? Who knows?

Anyway, just because we backed off Brown doesn't mean we'll back off Wilson. Our recruiting priorities will become clear at the end of April when AAU starts.

I poked the bear with this one. Countdown til deletion 10, 9, 8, 7....

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I saw Bruce Brown play three times and never got what was so special about him.

Then again, I'm not paid $3M to know the difference.

Reaction Score
Brown is going to be a terrific player, but of all the recruiting misses over the last few seasons, he's down the list of ones that bother me. We have a lot in the back court and unless you're a shooter, I don't know how much you move the needle when compared to Gilbert, Vital, etc. He would have helped a lot this season to be sure - long-term, missing on our front court targets hurts a lot more.

Of course, we've had our share of bad luck. Larrier/Durham could have been a terror of a front court from the jump if injuries had not derailed their trajectories. In an alternate universe, we're sitting on a sweet sixteen team this season with everybody coming back to dominate college basketball next year.

Reaction Score
I saw Bruce Brown play three times and never got what was so special about him.

Then again, I'm not paid $3M to know the difference.
Duh, you guys are all missing the most important point. Unlike Gilbert and Larrier, Brown and Colson were not season-ending injuries waiting to happen, and THAT is the reason why they were such big misses.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Duh, you guys are all missing the most important point. Unlike Gilbert and Larrier, Brown and Colson were not season-ending injuries waiting to happen, and THAT is the reason why they were such big misses.

How was that predictable? Sounds like just more retrospective distortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom