Sid Wilson (UConn Wants Him to Reclassify to '17) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson (UConn Wants Him to Reclassify to '17)

Reaction Score
Just an open question as to who has seen Wilson play a game in person, and can say he showed talent that you would project as being impactful at UConn as freshman or soph, even on an occasion. I have only caught 2 Brewster games, but if I didn't know his ranking, I wouldn't have guessed it. I'm not down on the kid because I know my sample size is small, but he didn't make shots a la Purvis, didn't impact the game with his reported athleticism (or even show it relative to other kids), didn't handle any better than Purvis, and is very very slight. I had a hard time convincing myself he wasn't more like 6'4 to 6'5. On the upside, like Purvis he did score some, he took several foul line jumpers that he didn't make, but, the fact that he took several may mean that is usually a higher percentage shot for him. I see him as as raw a wing as Carlton is a center. I'd love somebody to tell me they have seen him play with impact so I can root for this 2017 commitment.

Alternatively, if anybody knows that MAL is working hard on him because he thinks the kid is great addition, I'll take that endorsement.

For what it's worth, when I watch highly rated guards and wings, over a 2 game stretch, there is usually at least 1 wow moment, regardless of other weaknesses in their games. I haven't seen that yet.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, I haven't developed a personal view on it - but it seems we have been recruiting a lot of guys with injury issues from HS - Gilbert and Durham come to mind.

Reaction Score
Just an open question as to who has seen Wilson play a game in person, and can say he showed talent that you would project as being impactful at UConn as freshman or soph, even on an occasion. I have only caught 2 Brewster games, but if I didn't know his ranking, I wouldn't have guessed it. I'm not down on the kid because I know my sample size is small, but he didn't make shots a la Purvis, didn't impact the game with his reported athleticism (or even show it relative to other kids), didn't handle any better than Purvis, and is very very slight. I had a hard time convincing myself he wasn't more like 6'4 to 6'5. On the upside, like Purvis he did score some, he took several foul line jumpers that he didn't make, but, the fact that he took several may mean that is usually a higher percentage shot for him. I see him as as raw a wing as Carlton is a center. I'd love somebody to tell me they have seen him play with impact so I can root for this 2017 commitment.

Alternatively, if anybody knows that MAL is working hard on him because he thinks the kid is great addition, I'll take that endorsement.

For what it's worth, when I watch highly rated guards and wings, over a 2 game stretch, there is usually at least 1 wow moment, regardless of other weaknesses in their games. I haven't seen that yet.

Interesting. My question is, how many lengthy, supposedly athletic forwards do we need? Don't get me wrong, if there is top talent from 2018 that we can get to reclassify to our underwhelming 2017 class and strengthen it, it's a great move. But it would just be nice to see us go after a player with a different skill set to bring some diversity to our "length and awkward athleticism," like an Arcidiacono type.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Interesting. My question is, how many lengthy, supposedly athletic forwards do we need? Don't get me wrong, if there is top talent from 2018 that we can get to reclassify to our underwhelming 2017 class and strengthen it, it's a great move. But it would just be nice to see us go after a player with a different skill set to bring some diversity to our "length and awkward athleticism," like an Arcidiacono type.
We have one lengthy, athletic forward, who happened to tear his ACL this year... so getting another one in a weak 2017 class only boosts the potential of that class.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I haven't developed a personal view on it - but it seems we have been recruiting a lot of guys with injury issues from HS - Gilbert and Durham come to mind.

Gilbert you can't pass on, too good. And Durham, c'mon great kid who committed prior to his 2nd tear, do you want him to "Edsall" the kid? Luck (or unluck) of the draw here I'm afraid Chief.

Reaction Score
As pointed out, as of now we only have 1 and he's coming off a torn ACL and hasn't played in two years.

Reaction Score
We have one lengthy, athletic forward, who happened to tear his ACL this year... so getting another one in a weak 2017 class only boosts the potential of that class.

I consider Vance and Larrier to both be tall/long players at the SF position. They can't play smaller than a 3, but can go to 4. We also have Durham at the 4 who is insanely long, and Polley who will play the 4, maybe even 3. So having him reclassify is great for us, but we seem a bit saturated there.

But forget about positional classifications. My bigger point is that the majority of our players tend to have the primary attribute of "length," and it seems like the playing style can just get awkward if there isn't some diversity. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I consider Vance and Larrier to both be tall/long players at the SF position. They can't play smaller than a 3, but can go to 4. We also have Durham at the 4 who is insanely long, and Polley who will play the 4, maybe even 3. So having him reclassify is great for us, but we seem a bit saturated there.

But forget about positional classifications. My bigger point is that the majority of our players tend to have the primary attribute of "length," and it seems like the playing style can just get awkward if there isn't some diversity. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
I'm not sure of anyone's wingspan but Larrier, Adams, and Gilbert are the only above Average athletes on our squad, and two of three are question marks going forward. So getting another guy who can run the break, slash, and have great defensive potential could be a huge boost and insurance against the worst case scenario.

Reaction Score

I haven't seen him in person but he doesn't really seem at all comparable to Purvis. He is rail thin with at least a half foot bigger wingspan and more bounce than Rodney.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure of anyone's wingspan but Larrier, Adams, and Gilbert are the only above Average athletes on our squad, and two of three are question marks going forward. So getting another guy who can run the break, slash, and have great defensive potential could be a huge boost and insurance against the worst case scenario.
From what I've heard and seen, Makai looks to be a good athlete, and correct me if I'm wrong but he has a solid wingspan too. And I hope Durham can get his confidence and athleticism back because it is/was very good for his size. Polley looks to be a wirey athlete as well. All that is moot and I didn't mean to go against you, but I agree Wilson would be on another level.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him in person but he doesn't really seem at all comparable to Purvis. He is rail thin with at least a half foot bigger wingspan and more bounce than Rodney.
In terms of pure vertical, I don't think he jumps any higher than Purvis.

Reaction Score
In terms of pure vertical, I don't think he jumps any higher than Purvis.

Explosion is the key here, Wilson is more of an athlete in the sense he doesn't need to have everything perfect to get up to dunk or alike, Rodney needs to have his step in order on the way to the rim to dunk. I mean how many times have you expected an explosive finish ahead of the court only to get a lay up. I mean besides the SMU finish there haven't been many wow dunks for a guy who seems to have it all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
From what I've heard and seen, Makai looks to be a good athlete, and correct me if I'm wrong but he has a solid wingspan too. And I hope Durham can get his confidence and athleticism back because it is/was very good for his size. Polley looks to be a wirey athlete as well. All that is moot and I didn't mean to go against you, but I agree Wilson would be on another level.
No it's fine. My point was having another athlete of his caliber is something we need, which doesn't sound like something many would disagree with.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen him in person but he doesn't really seem at all comparable to Purvis. He is rail thin with at least a half foot bigger wingspan and more bounce than Rodney

Wasn't comparing them physically. Just saying that from what I have seen, Wilson does not shoot or handle the ball any better than Purvis. Purvis ends up playing the 3 when we go with three guards, and it seemed some posters were getting their hopes up that Wilson would be an upgrade at the wing in those situations. I have my doubts.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That's too bad considering he said he's not reclassing awhile ago, hopefully we change his mind.

Reaction Score
I am hearing that uconn is pushing 2017 big time
Does this mean sid is still considering it. Or are we just pushing 2017 for the sake of pushing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom