Sid Wilson decides ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sid Wilson decides ...

Reaction Score
Loved that 02 team. Season ender to UMD in the Elite8 at the Carrier Dome is my “favorite” loss.

still to this day, one of my favorite games even though it was a loss. I hated Maryland, but they had a great experienced team and we had young studs in the making, as Caron only a sophomore almost single handily made it happen. He was the man that game whew!

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I like this move for Sid. He'll get every opportunity to star on this crappy team and he'll have Polk as an exciting promising guard to partner with and hopefully build something together.

Although the team stinks, and the OVC isn't a good mid-major conference, the conference's top-end is solid. Belmont will be a dangerous mid-major every year, Matt McMahon has turned Murray State into a mid-major destination and Austin Peay has a good program with one of the better duos in the nation with Taylor/Adams. Eastern Kentucky is a young team on the rise and they've gotten a top-300 recruit each of the last two seasons plus they'll add West Virginia's Brandon Knapper in 21/22. Honestly, they could be a top-25 mid-major in 21/22.

It's a better situation than Bryant where in the NEC, there is NO top-end teams to play against.

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I like this move for Sid. He'll get every opportunity to star on this crappy team and he'll have Polk as an exciting promising guard to partner with.

Although the team stinks, and the OVC isn't a good mid-major conference, the conference's top-end is solid. Belmont will be a dangerous mid-major every year, Matt McMahon has turned Murray State into a mid-major destination and Austin Peay has a good program with one of the better duos in the nation with Taylor/Adams. Eastern Kentucky is a young team on the rise and they've gotten a top-300 recruit each of the last two seasons plus they'll add West Virginia's Brandon Knapper in 21/22. Honestly, they could be a top-25 mid-major in 21/22.

It's a better situation than Bryant where in the NEC, there is NO top-end teams to play against.
Agreed. Also wonder if and how Dan Hurley advised him on his transfer destination. It wasn't an ugly transfer so I'm sure Hurley helped him make a good pick.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
still to this day, one of my favorite games even though it was a loss. I hated Maryland, but they had a great experienced team and we had young studs in the making, as Caron only a sophomore almost single handily made it happen. He was the man that game whew!
I used to watch my vhs recording all the time. The atmosphere stuffed with UConn and Maryland fans. The runs by both teams. The big time plays by big time players. Quintessential tourney game. Maryland was so beyond loaded with Lonny Baxter, Chris Wilcox, Juan Dixon, Steve Blake, Byron Mouton. Sweaty Gary vs Calhoun. Just a classic

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
The list of UConn transfers who we really ended up missing may be like 1-2 players long over the last 30 years. If that.
Steve Enoch might be the only one. Maybe Antonio Kellogg?

Reaction Score
Really wish he worked out. Had tools to bring a flare only few college ball players can. Crowd turning plays take a special kind of bounce and he had it! Bye Jelly!

We still winning Big East w.o him tho

Reaction Score
The list of UConn transfers who we really ended up missing may be like 1-2 players long over the last 30 years. If that.
Fair point.
Steve Enoch might be the only one. Maybe Antonio Kellogg?
I'll give you Enoch, but Antonio Kellogg??? Yeah, he had a great year with San Francisco, and yeah, he would have had an opportunity with Price/Williams' idiocy but this kid wasn't a high recruit and wasn't destined to do anything major with UConn with his time there.

My vote goes to Curtis Kelly, but if he didn't transfer I'm not sure we sign Roscoe Smith. Gotta give @Deepster props, the list of UConn transfers where we really miss the kid is quite small.

Reaction Score
Crazy. I still don’t understand how he wasn’t a more sought after transfer. He certainly had his deficiencies in terms feel for the game and ball handling, but his high level athleticism alone should have granted him a better opportunity. He had a stretch before his injury where he was an extremely solid bench contributor for us last year and I was looking forward to see what he could do this year. Then he came back too early from the injury and completely lost his mojo.
The kid had two major suspensions in two years. Would have probably been off the team if we weren’t short handed. Coaches have enough headaches. Hopefully the lack of demand gives him a new hunger to improve. I wish him the best as a hardcore BB guy , I want to see every kid play up to their maximum potential. Good luck Sid
The only think preventing you from success is the guy you see in the mirror. But that’s true with mostly all of us.

Reaction Score
We played SIU in the 02 tourney. Destroyed their hopes and dreams. Hoping Sid can help bring them back to the promise land.

Nice job by Bruce Webber after getting beat by our Huskies. Forgot thats where he started, solid coach.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah I do agree on Roscoe actually. Always hurts to lose a toughnosed “dog” like that. Can not really blame him at all for splitting given the circumstances.

Reaction Score
As Bill Parcells used to say, “ you are what you are.” Despite the typical Boneyard cheerleading Sid chose SIUE over Bryant. He was, unfortunately, an AAU player. He did what he did based on athleticism. Unfortunately in major college basketball everyone is athletic. You need more and he never had more.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna give you a break and not say anything about him going to the SEC and playing a huge role

:rolleyes:
By SEC, I meant Georgia and Ole Miss who, at the time, were offering everyone. Still believe in Sid's athleticism but I am shocked by this. I will eat the huge plate of crow that you deservedly can serve.

Reaction Score
FWIW that was a different school/branch. The team in 02 was the SIU Salukis from the MVC. Sid’s new team plays in the OVC with Murray St and Belmont as mentioned.

1595010752574.gif

Reaction Score
He definitely has the talent to play somewhere higher than that. I hope he does well there, earns a degree, then maybe make money playing a long career in Europe
I feel like my eyes were watching a completely different human being every time someone says something like this about his immense talent. The guy can jump thru the roof and is a quick twitch athlete that’s it. He had almost no basketball ability whatsoever imo but apparently I’m the clueless one judging by the boards scouting report from those 2 putback dunks he had.

Reaction Score
I feel like my eyes were watching a completely different human being every time someone says something like this about his immense talent. The guy can jump thru the roof and is a quick twitch athlete that’s it. He had almost no basketball ability whatsoever imo but apparently I’m the clueless one judging by the boards scouting report from those 2 putback dunks he had.
Is Sid Wilson on the level of Ben Gordon? No, but It seemed like whenever Sid was in the game, he provided a nice spark. He also hit the 3 at the end of the Wichita St game to send it to OT which was a very clutch play. I just didn’t think he was going to end up at a low level D1 school.

Reaction Score
You know, as we write the end of the Sidney Wilson saga, the rub on Sid is I think, that even though he made playing look easy with his natural athleticism, he never really looked like he was giving 100% with his effort and hustle. Sort of played at his own speed, and could not be motivated to play harder on a consistent basis.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to criticize or dog Sid on his way out the door; I think he was a great teammate, has great potential as a player, and I wish he was still part of this group of brothers, but from an analytical standpoint I think this is what the problem was with Hurley and Sid.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Sid is happy that's all that matters
I wish him the best and he can be the BMOC that he aspired to be
DH really didn't bond with Sid and this a better place for him
As Chief0 eluded he can work on three important things - life, school and ball

Reaction Score
not even the long beach state beaches ?

ah well, best of luck kid

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I expected a higher level team. Not that it matters to us, but there just may be something 'under the hood' that is not being revealed.

Wherever that school is they got some excitement coming to their arena. I expect him to rock the joint and to see him again on ESPN (yes I do).

Reaction Score
By SEC, I meant Georgia and Ole Miss who, at the time, were offering everyone. Still believe in Sid's athleticism but I am shocked by this. I will eat the huge plate of crow that you deservedly can serve.
Just busting. I sure thought he would end up somewhere better than SIU. But he's not a high major player. He couldn't get on the court at UConn when literally all you needed was a pulse with our injury situation last year. That should have been an indication.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After the initial congrats on the new school, I'm now hoping they have a solid support system in place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom