SIAP - Kim Mulkey video | The Boneyard

SIAP - Kim Mulkey video

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Say what you want about Kim, her on court decisions or her ability to prepare her team for the Dance. I'd take her as my foxhole buddy any time. Mulkey is one heck of a woman and a great coach of young women.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Hard to hear what she said. Sound was low. Still I got the jist. Standing up for her team. Got to respect that.

Reaction Score
Say what you want about Kim, her on court decisions or her ability to prepare her team for the Dance. I'd take her as my foxhole buddy any time. Mulkey is one heck of a woman and a great coach of young women.
Jordy, Always like your posts but how soon we forget her comments of last spring when she expressed her desire to "punch in the face" those who questioned Baylor's integrity over their handling of the football team's long sad history of abusing young women both on and off campus.

I said in a post then and I still feel the same way now that as a nationally known wcbb head coach she owed coeds everywhere, and her own team members in particular, a strong statement of support juxtaposed to the sickening lack of courage displayed by her own AD and University President in dealing with what was a long term systemic situation.

Same foxhole? I wouldn't want her in the same army. If she can't stand up for the women on her own campus I have little respect for her. A first class coach yes, but something less when asked to defend the basic rights of the very women she purports to care for so very deeply.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Jordy, Always like your posts but how soon we forget her comments of last spring when she expressed her desire to "punch in the face" those who questioned Baylor's integrity over their handling of the football team's long sad history of abusing young women both on and off campus.

I said in a post then and I still feel the same way now that as a nationally known wcbb head coach she owed coeds everywhere, and her own team members in particular, a strong statement of support juxtaposed to the sickening lack of courage displayed by her own AD and University President in dealing with what was a long term systemic situation.

Same foxhole? I wouldn't want her in the same army. If she can't stand up for the women on her own campus I have little respect for her. A first class coach yes, but something less when asked to defend the basic rights of the very women she purports to care for so very deeply.
No, I didn't forget her "punch in the face" remark. Sounds like foxhole material to me. If she said turn the other cheek my foxhole would be 1 person lighter. As abhorrent and repulsive her lack defense of those rape victims was her support for her team never wavered, and that's what good coaches do. Now, would I want her as advisor; do I think she has made a ton of bad decisions regarding Baylor affairs over the years? Heck yes, and I've been one of the crowd that has panned and fried her for them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I see Mulkey's dealing with that member of the press differently. I see it as an illustration of a big failing of hers; she never walks away from an opportunity to make things personal and rancorous. It was unprofessional to say the least.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I guess I see Mulkey's dealing with that member of the press differently. I see it as an illustration of a big failing of hers; she never walks away from an opportunity to make things personal and rancorous. It was unprofessional to say the least.

She earns a salary of multi-hundreds of thousands; she need not take a demeaning posture toward reporters who probably don’t make 40k. Being nasty isn’t toughness. It’s just being nasty.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score

I get so tired of people making statements about something they heard in the media. We're you there or did you only hear what the media reported? Media didn't report all the statements she made defending the victims, etc for weeks/ months after the whole scandal surfaced. Media NEVER reports good stories... only stories that people like yourself can take out of content in a negative way. Do you really believe she would still have a job or still be getting good recruits if she really was this evil person??

Reaction Score
body language from the players seems off...no eye contact, almost dejected after a win...hmmm

Reaction Score
body language from the players seems off...no eye contact, almost dejected after a win...hmmm
I saw it very differently, and was struck by how comfortable with and fond of Kim they seemed. Kalani was cracking up when Kim referred to her as a big body. Shortly after that she reached over and adjusted Kim's ring so that the stones were facing outward, kinda like pushing a friend's stray lock of hair into place. It was a sweet and intimate gesture.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Kim's players love her. She makes them laugh and they know she will always stand up for them!

Reaction Score
Incredibly unprofessional to attack a reporter in a post-game news conference. But she never minds lowering herself. That's Kim.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Incredibly unprofessional to attack a reporter in a post-game news conference. But she never minds lowering herself. That's Kim.

Typical Longhorn fan. They always take a shot at Kim when they can. Nothing unprofessional about what she said. Had a media member said something derogatory towards Karen's team or her, I'd expect Karen (or any other coach) would do the same. Geno has done this same type of conf before and will stand up for his team!

Reaction Score
I have no problem with what Kim said or the tone in which she said it. Plus after reading the article, I can see why she felt the need to say something.

Interesting nugget from Kim in addressing how well the team's fan base travels, literally: "We have some fans that travel with us each game. But you know the plane gets full, and so those who don't get invited, they drive." How cool is that.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hard to hear what she said. Sound was low. Still I got the jist. Standing up for her team. Got to respect that.
The sound was low when I played it as well. FWIW, the volume on the video can be raised. If you hover over the sound icon (to the right of the play button) a slide will come up. Once I did that, it was fine.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
The sound was low when I played it as well. FWIW, the volume on the video can be raised. If you hover over the sound icon (to the right of the play button) a slide will come up. Once I did that, it was fine.

It was nearly max so it helped a little. Thanks

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The opinion piece may have been wrong but there was no reason to take to the microphone and single out the reporter for the purpose of embarrassing him. The guy wasn't that impressed with Baylor and less impressed with the home team. Oh well. Kim is always one to find the slightest of slights to latch on to in order to make herself and her team the victims.

We're not talking Dan Shaughnessy here.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I have a better opinion of Kim after seeing this. My only thought is that it is after a win and I have seen some not as complimentary after a loss.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The curious thing is Kim already seemed to know the writer and set him up for that zing. She even acknowledged her team was "challenged in the first game and the writer should have given credit to OSU for that instead of demeaning her team. That is sort of true, Ok State is in or on the periphery of top 25 so they are not a slouch team. Kim was sticking up for not only her team but her conference coach. I am not trying to be a Kim apologist, but Geno has done much of the same over the years. The coach themselves can criticize their team but if an outsider (writer) takes an uneducated "shot" at the team, the coach goes ballistic and chides the pundit.

Kim also noted that in that nights game that BU was very good and they were. I did think the players who have seen this before were more bemused by their coach and knows she cares. I laugh at those that say any highly successful coach doesn't care about their players as it is illogical. They see them daily, spend 6 days a week in practice, games, travel, down time on the road and in the off season, checking in with them. This is very much a maternal/paternal relationship.

Kim is not perfect and can say dumb things at times born out of her competitive nature. She motivates with the "chip on the shoulder to prove someone wrong" attitude at times. However she is also a Hall of Famer as a player and a coach. She does develop players for both the next level and for life.

I get why Jordy would say what he did, and I too think she's got your back at all times. I also think she lets her competitiveness get in the way of logic at times. The incident last year was a huge bonehead (she was sticking up for Baylor-albeit in the wrong fashion). However her actions of her leadership do support women's rights and she has been outspoken for women over the years and does so regularly and as recently as two weeks ago at a luncheon.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and can either like or dislike someone based on what they perceive. For me, I see both sides of Ms. Mulkey and happen to side on the "I will have her in my foxhole" camp.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
No, I didn't forget her "punch in the face" remark. Sounds like foxhole material to me. If she said turn the other cheek my foxhole would be 1 person lighter. As abhorrent and repulsive her lack defense of those rape victims was her support for her team never wavered, and that's what good coaches do. Now, would I want her as advisor; do I think she has made a ton of bad decisions regarding Baylor affairs over the years? Heck yes, and I've been one of the crowd that has panned and fried her for them.
That's what good coaches do right up until they get fired due to pressure put on the administration. I am somewhat surprised that she survived the punch in the face fiasco but I guess it goes to show that coaches can be treated differently. BTW, I am not saying that Kim was right or wrong, just that how differently situations can be handled by schools.

Reaction Score
As I said Jordy I always like your posts, so I knew that your basic opinion about the Baylor situation was one that we would agree upon. With daughters of my own (all former college athletes) and having "adopted" so many Huskies for four years for the past few decades, it's easy to get defensive about the conditions under which today's young women are ask to operate. All of us here at the Boneyard are like minded when it comes to considering the welfare of the girls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom