SI Picks UConn to win AAC | The Boneyard

SI Picks UConn to win AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
very good write up with some individual stat projections.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Close your eyes mau - "Amida Brimah, considered a two- or three-star recruit coming out of high school, has developed into a high-efficiency, low-usage scorer on offense and a difference-making shot-blocker on the other end. His 14.3% block rate last year would have been tops in the AAC had he played enough minutes to qualify—and it was Brimah’s career low. "

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Close your eyes mau - "Amida Brimah, considered a two- or three-star recruit coming out of high school, has developed into a high-efficiency, low-usage scorer on offense and a difference-making shot-blocker on the other end. His 14.3% block rate last year would have been tops in the AAC had he played enough minutes to qualify—and it was Brimah’s career low. "
Sorry Mau but I want to reply:
How far can this team go with a "low-usage scorer on offense"? This team needs someone down low that can score to stop the double teaming elsewhere. The writer also failed to mention the amount of times AB has gotten into foul trouble to become non factor
I like AB and what he did for UConn in 2014 but he has yet to become the complete player that UConn needs down low.
Blocking shots is a good thing BUT if that's what you only do with regularity it doesn't help the team on both sides of the court and 4 v5 on offense is hard to overcome.
I'm really hoping AB turns it around this year

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
How far can this team go with a "low-usage scorer on offense"? This team needs someone down low that can score to stop the double teaming elsewhere. The writer also failed to mention the amount of times AB has gotten into foul trouble to become non factor
I like AB and what he did for UConn in 2014 but he has yet to become the complete player that UConn needs down low.
Blocking shots is a good thing BUT if that's what you only do with regularity it doesn't help the team on both sides of the court and 4 v5 on offense is hard to overcome.

One interesting thing during the First Night Scrimmage was AB dribbling the ball on fast breaks and really pushing to get down the court. I'm not suggesting that I want him to actually do the dribbling part in games, but he could outrun a lot of centers down the court if he really pushed it. If he shares minutes with SE, Steve should get minutes to hopefully provide efficient offense without a big drop-off on defense. In the right situation, Amida is a potent force on defense and can change the course of games. He can also be neutralized if he continues to make dumb fouls or when guarding a center who can shoot from 3 (or drive from the perimeter).

I do wonder whether KO will go small more than we might expect.

Reaction Score
How far can this team go with a "low-usage scorer on offense"? This team needs someone down low that can score to stop the double teaming elsewhere.
We won 3 of our 4 national championships without a player like this, so I'm not sure how it's necessary. I mean we've literally already been National Champions with the player we're talking about as our center.

Reaction Score

What double teaming?

Reaction Score
We won 3 of our 4 national championships without a player like this, so I'm not sure how it's necessary. I mean we've literally already been National Champions with the player we're talking about as our center.

Good point, but we had the best guard in the country in Shabazz that year. This year we definitely need a bit more out of Brimah, which he should provide IF he can stay out of foul trouble.

Reaction Score
If people think Purvis is going to average 16 ppg then it reinforces my belief that he should have been on the watch list for the Jerry West Award. Not that it's a big deal.
I've been hearing GREAT stuff about him. He's worked his ass off in the off season. He knows this is his last go round, and he's put his all into being the best player that he can be. Really, really impressed with what I've heard. I have no idea how good he can be, but I think he will be the best Rodney Purvis possible. If he's not great it certainly will not be for lack of effort. Very excited for his senior season.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I've been hearing GREAT stuff about him. He's worked his ass off in the off season. He knows this is his last go round, and he's put his all into being the best player that he can be. Really, really impressed with what I've heard. I have no idea how good he can be, but I think he will be the best Rodney Purvis possible. If he's not great it certainly will not be for lack of effort. Very excited for his senior season.
Any specifics on how he is playing better?

Reaction Score
Any specifics on how he is playing better?
Unfortunately, no. I had heard from a couple people that Rodney is really on a mission. Then, out of the blue, I ran into someone I know from the athletic department who I haven't seen in a few years, so I asked him. He was gushing about how focused Rodney is and how hard he's been working (apparently on all aspects of his game). The conversation took a turn and I never got anything real specific.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, no. I had heard from a couple people that Rodney is really on a mission. Then, out of the blue, I ran into someone I know from the athletic department who I haven't seen in a few years, so I asked him. He was gushing about how focused Rodney is and how hard he's been working (apparently on all aspects of his game). The conversation took a turn and I never got anything real specific.

Let's be honest, if he concentrates on finishing at the rim both on his drives and ahead of the court fast breaks, he can add a couple of baskets a game. He missed so many, some of which were only contested lightly, last year it was crazy. Seemed to be more worried about landing, not getting the shot blocked and contact than just making the shot. Would love to see an AA type year from the kid, he's such a great Husky already just for his attitude and love of the university throughout.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Safe to assume any year UConn isn't picked to win the AAC is depressing or at least a sobriety check?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
that's nice, but I think we're aiming a tad bit higher

Reaction Score
I highly recommend you look at our offensive efficiency stats when AB was on the floor compared to when he was not last year. It will show how wrong you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom