SI interview with Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SI interview with Hurley

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let me add this and please forgive me for beating a dead horse but if Coach Hurley goes out there and leads this team to 25 wins and a good run in the tournament Kevin Ollies stock absolutely plummets even further down than it already is. I think itll be the nail in his college coaching coffin. I mean he may still get something somewhere down the line but itll be a very low level opportunity at best.

I kind of agree with you. If Hurley gets the team to 20 wins and they are competitive the entire season, there could be an NIT bid. An NIT bid alone kills Ollie's stock. And it would be a major step for the program in regaining its place in NCAA basketball. Won't hurt recruiting either!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Let me add this and please forgive me for beating a dead horse but if Coach Hurley goes out there and leads this team to 25 wins and a good run in the tournament Kevin Ollies stock absolutely plummets even further down than it already is. I think itll be the nail in his college coaching coffin. I mean he may still get something somewhere down the line but itll be a very low level opportunity at best.
Let me add this and please forgive me for beating a dead horse but I hope we are nearing the time when we can discuss and be happy about positive developments with the program without feeling the need to further malign Ollie at every turn.

He screwed up; we've moved on. No reason to belabor it any more.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Let me add this and please forgive me for beating a dead horse but I hope we are nearing the time when we can discuss and be happy about positive developments with the program without feeling the need to further malign Ollie at every turn.

Kevin Ollie will be constantly be brought up over the next 5+ years, and 85% of the mentions of his name will come from freescooter.

Reaction Score
I kind of agree with you. If Hurley gets the team to 20 wins and they are competitive the entire season, there could be an NIT bid. An NIT bid alone kills Ollie's stock. And it would be a major step for the program in regaining its place in NCAA basketball. Won't hurt recruiting either!
I feel like there is always that one team that gets an NIT bid and wins or does well during it and people come out thinking "wow look out for them next year," and they are usually relevant for the next few years ( ala SMU, Wichita State, Dayton, TCU.) But of course we have a much bigger brand than these programs. But to me, if that happened next I would be thrilled. I'm still kind of wearing a cup from the Ollie era, so small steps for me. I say the small steps thing because I've seen some mention of NCAA tourney here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

So the windshield surface is larger than the rear view mirror for a reason?

I think it's worth noting that we haven't seen large scale second-guessing about the coaching change from any meaningful quarter, so concentrating on how bad it was or must have been interests me as much as I'd like to hear about your crazy ex-girlfriend on the day I hear that you're developing a happy, healthy, hopeful relationship in the present.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

You seem cranky. Well it's to be understood given how Ollie ran this program into the ground.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Um, yeah, that's a bad read. Even for you.
It was joke, responding to a complaint about KO references with a KO reference, but now that I think of it you actually seem cranky. Whatever though. Be well 88.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It was joke, responding to a complaint about KO references with a KO reference, but now that I think of it you actually seem cranky. Whatever though. Be well 88.
I thought it might be a joke, but then I considered the source (jk!). Sorry for my misread.

I'm not cranky presently; I am certainly capable of it, however.

I love all the positive things I'm reading and hearing about Hurley, the players and most of all the mindset. For me, however, it detracts from that positivity when people still constantly feel the need to insert Ollie into the discussion. I think it makes us look small, petty and insecure.

I'm also somewhat superstitious and want to remember that it's still the honeymoon period and the proof is in the pudding. I have faith that Hurley will deliver, but I don't want to jinx it.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
A lot of attention has been on Jalen and his player development this upcoming season and rightfully so. However, thinking about Hurley having 3 years to build up Alterique’s confidence again and develop his game is something to be really excited about as well.

He's likely got four...if Alterique wants that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
UConn, for me, just represents a chance for me to coach at a place that has the best basketball tradition in all of college, both men’s and women’s. The best college basketball brand in the country is in Storrs, talking about both sides. On the men’s side, no one’s had more national championships in the last 20 years. You’ve got NBA players, first round, lottery picks for days, All-Americans for days. You walk in here, man, you’re part of history. You sit in this office and you’ve got nets and trophies and banners and first-round picks staring at you.

Reaction Score
[Swoon]

"This year it just so happens we have depth. Knock on wood, we’re gonna be able to play 10 or 11 people and pick up our opponent, pressure our opponent with our man defense and get the ball down the court quickly and play the attacking style that I like to coach. I like to make my opponent uncomfortable. I like to dictate the terms of the game and how it’s gonna be played at both ends. We’re going from a team that played a lot of zone last year and played a lot in the half court to playing like a frenzy. I think it’s a style most guys want to play. It’s a matter of can we instill it and install it by November?"

:)

I'm going to be the wet blanket here. Every coach in history after taking over a team says he will play more up-tempo. It's universal bologna.

Maybe Hurley really does mean it. Maybe he sees the UConn personnel is suited to it and it's the jolt necessary to get them to play more active and tougher.

But Hurley hasn't had a team in the top 150 (55th percentile or higher) in offensive tempo ever as a coach. He's had up-tempo defensive teams, for sure, but his offensive execution has been more... methodical and workman-like. Ollie's teams' offensive possession length was quite slow and on average ranked 226th in the country. While Hurley's over his 8 coaching seasons has been... 230th. Slower.

Defense is indeed a different story, as I mentioned he has had defensive teams that produced quite short defensive possession lengths and got after people, but even with that it never led to "get[ting] the ball down the court quickly". Nor were his offenses ever very effective when his teams played quick paced defense anyways: in the 4 years that qualify the highest his team's offense ranked in the country was 130th.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Coach Hurley is such a complete 180 from KO it's almost comical.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I'm going to be the wet blanket here. Every coach in history after taking over a team says he will play more up-tempo. It's universal bologna.

Maybe Hurley really does mean it. Maybe he sees the UConn personnel is suited to it and it's the jolt necessary to get them to play more active and tougher.

But Hurley hasn't had a team in the top 150 (55th percentile or higher) in offensive tempo ever as a coach. He's had up-tempo defensive teams, for sure, but his offensive execution has been more... methodical and workman-like. Ollie's teams' offensive possession length was quite slow and on average ranked 226th in the country. While Hurley's over his 8 coaching seasons has been... 230th. Slower.

Defense is indeed a different story, as I mentioned he has had defensive teams that produced quite short defensive possession lengths and got after people, but even with that it never led to "get[ting] the ball down the court quickly". Nor were his offenses ever very effective when his teams played quick paced defense anyways: in the 4 years that qualify the higher his team's offense ranked in the country was 130th.

I think it's somewhat unfair to compare any numbers he posted at URI with what he can potentially accomplish with a brand name program like UConn. His recruiting opportunities were limited in Kingston, and IIRC, didn't he lose Mathews due to injury for virtually an entire season?

At URI he had to be realistically thinking he probably had them close to the upper limit of their potential nationally. Maybe he would have eventually gotten them to a S16 or E8, but there's a ceiling there that probably won't ever be exceeded. At UConn, he knows the sky is the limit if he can turn things around, and he's supremely confident that he can. IMO, you can throw his past stats out the window. In his case, I don't think it's all tired old coachspeak. He believes in his ability to get it done.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
UConn, for me, just represents a chance for me to coach at a place that has the best basketball tradition in all of college, both men’s and women’s. The best college basketball brand in the country is in Storrs, talking about both sides. On the men’s side, no one’s had more national championships in the last 20 years. You’ve got NBA players, first round, lottery picks for days, All-Americans for days. You walk in here, man, you’re part of history. You sit in this office and you’ve got nets and trophies and banners and first-round picks staring at you.

This was the best quote for me, too! We are the Mecca of College Basketball, and we're going to make sure the entire country remembers it...

Reaction Score
I think it's somewhat unfair to compare any numbers he posted at URI with what he can potentially accomplish with a brand name program like UConn. His recruiting opportunities were limited in Kingston, and IIRC, didn't he lose Mathews due to injury for virtually an entire season?

At URI he had to be realistically thinking he probably had them close to the upper limit of their potential nationally. Maybe he would have eventually gotten them to a S16 or E8, but there's a ceiling there that probably won't ever be exceeded. At UConn, he knows the sky is the limit if he can turn things around, and he's supremely confident that he can. IMO, you can throw his past stats out the window. In his case, I don't think it's all tired old coachspeak. He believes in his ability to get it done.

Not making any comment on his ability to coach. Only that those who have been dying for us to play crazy up-tempo will probably be disappointed if they take him at his word here, especially for this upcoming season.

I do think our roster is suited for it, though, so I'd love for Hurley to prove me wrong.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Defense is indeed a different story, as I mentioned he has had defensive teams that produced quite short defensive possession lengths and got after people, but even with that it never led to "get[ting] the ball down the court quickly". Nor were his offenses ever very effective when his teams played quick paced defense anyways: in the 4 years that qualify the highest his team's offense ranked in the country was 130th.

Good stuff. In fairness, he's never had a PG combo like Jalen and Alterique. That could help speed things up on the offensive end. Provided health.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
SI crushed this interview. Great questions asked and Hurley was very candid.

It sucks that the local beat guys couldn't get time or create something of this quality with Hurley.

I hate to feel like I'm drinking the kool-aid but Hurley is saying all of the right things and his approach has a proven track record of success. It's hard to not get excited after reading everything he had to say.

One point that stuck out to me is him saying that the team has depth. There's also a lot of untapped potential there. We've got a real shot to surprise everyone next year and compete for a conference title in a down year for most AAC teams.

Reaction Score
Good stuff thanks for the post!!

Have to say he says all the right things there's no doubting that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
[Swoon]

"This year it just so happens we have depth. Knock on wood, we’re gonna be able to play 10 or 11 people and pick up our opponent, pressure our opponent with our man defense and get the ball down the court quickly and play the attacking style that I like to coach. I like to make my opponent uncomfortable. I like to dictate the terms of the game and how it’s gonna be played at both ends. We’re going from a team that played a lot of zone last year and played a lot in the half court to playing like a frenzy. I think it’s a style most guys want to play. It’s a matter of can we instill it and install it by November?"

:)
YASSSSS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom