SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing | Page 6 | The Boneyard

SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing

Reaction Score
Hedging bets. You can believe you'll win and still settle in the off chance you lose. Game Theory.

And this is the reason why the vast majority of cases settle, and why this one will too. Cases do not settle when one side has nothing or very little to lose. In this instance, both side potentially have a lot to lose. Not that I agree with it, but some posters have suggested that ADB and Herbst should lose their jobs because of how this has been handled, and that KO has some of the court issues that might become public if this case proceeds. That doesn't even take into account $. The point is there is too much for both parties to lose for this not to be resolved.

The sticking point will be when.

Reaction Score
Anyone posting in this thread will be able to FOI the documents relating to KO’s termination...or you can wait for Jacobs to do it and read about it in his column

Reaction Score
Ollie is going to be fine. His reputation is a guy with great character is not going to be ruined and it would be incredibly dumb for uconn to try. Just get the settlement done.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I

@HuskyHawk, Ollie has a contract and wanted one more season. Should he fail, he would have walked away with nothing. Ollie will fight this until the end because of the actions from Benedict and Herbst.
For the record, I am not rooting for the program to go down the dumpster.

And UConn said no - you don't get one more year. even if he did get one more, there would still be a buyout. So most of your argument disappears.

What Ollie doesn't realize is he is not in the driver's seat. He doesn't get to make the call if he gets one more year! His job was dependent on running a successful program - winning record, AAC championships and NCAA tournament bids. He failed. And don't give me injuries and transfers - that's on Ollie. If he didn't have players ready to step up because of an injury, he failed in his job. If his assistant coaches broke rules, that's on him.

Hard fact is Ollie is gone. Chances are very good he will settle but won't get close to $10 million. And he knows it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If the university is so sure they would win if this ever goes to court, why would they settle? Taking it all the way means zero dollars paid to Ollie.

Do you people get your views on the legal system from TV or something? Have you tried a case? I haven't in 20 years, but I'm still involved in disputes. There is no sure thing. In 99% of cases there is a risk of losing for both sides. Plus it's expensive. Settlements are the norm as a result. UConn believes it's odds of winning are more than than zero. That's all that matters.

Here's the 1%. My friend handles Med Mal cases. A guy claims malpractice. The evidence...he had a procedure done and they essentially re-attached his penis and testicles upside down. Pictures were provided. The response: "how much do you want?". The defense is not winning that case. But even then it settled, because the damage amount could vary widely.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Hedging bets. You can believe you'll win and still settle in the off chance you lose. Game Theory.

Sure, but the post I responded to portrayed the university's position as a slam dunk. Why pay anything if the facts and issues are all on your side? You might as well take it all the way.

The only way the university should have any reason to settle under those circumstances would have to do with negative PR and/or expediency. The longer it drags on it leaves other financial decisions unresolved, and may create an accumulation of negative press.

B

BlazePizza

Here's the 1%. My friend handles Med Mal cases. A guy claims malpractice. The evidence...he had a procedure done and they essentially re-attached his penis and testicles upside down. Pictures were provided. The response: "how much do you want?". The defense is not winning that case. But even then it settled, because the damage amount could vary widely.

Did this actually happen? Trying to think of the negatives of having upside down genitalia and can only think of positives. Doesn’t seem like a malpractice to me, but rather opportunity.

Reaction Score
Plus it's expensive. Settlements are the norm as a result. UConn believes it's odds of winning are less than zero. That's all that matters.

Don't you mean less than 100%?
Less than zero seems like an odd statement in this scenario.

Reaction Score
He's "back" as player. For now. He's not coming back as a guy who gets commercials and endorsements like he once did. That part of his reputation is pretty permanently tarnished.
Really? I'm not sure what the number is, but he still has MAJOR endorsement contracts. And if he comes all the way back, you better believe he will get even more.

Reaction Score
FYI...I know personally KO's golf instructor. As a matter of fact we share a few "cocktails" together on occasion.

I bet... I know more than you! Notice though I keep my cards close to the vest like the world class poker player I am.

None of this in 20 minutes I am going to the car wash folks!

You feelin' me brotha J?
wow... you must have trouble walking with those big stones! Ollies golf instructor, huh?
Hell, it's almost like you play golf with Ollie on a regular basis.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Y
If the university is so sure they would win if this ever goes to court, why would they settle? Taking it all the way means zero dollars paid to Ollie.
You're the one assuming they will settle. If they have anything NCAA to use against him, there’s a good chance he walks away with nada.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Did this actually happen? Trying to think of the negatives of having upside down genitalia and can only think of positives. Doesn’t seem like a malpractice to me, but rather opportunity.

Yes. True story. If you think that layout is better, I'm sure some plastic surgeon can make it happen.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Don't you mean less than 100%?
Less than zero seems like an odd statement in this scenario.

More than zero is what I meant. Non zero.

Reaction Score
Do you people get your views on the legal system from TV or something? Have you tried a case? I haven't in 20 years, but I'm still involved in disputes. There is no sure thing. In 99% of cases there is a risk of losing for both sides. Plus it's expensive. Settlements are the norm as a result. UConn believes it's odds of winning are more than than zero. That's all that matters.

I assume you meant greater than zero. Because for sure they are greater than zero. I'd be willing to bet anyone that this settles, for more than zero and less than $10.4 million.

Reaction Score
Sure, but the post I responded to portrayed the university's position as a slam dunk. Why pay anything if the facts and issues are all on your side? You might as well take it all the way.

The only way the university should have any reason to settle under those circumstances would have to do with negative PR and/or expediency. The longer it drags on it leaves other financial decisions unresolved, and may create an accumulation of negative press.
Because legal fees are real, and if this drags out factor into calculation.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
@Huskyforlife, If this hasn't been settled yet, then Ollie believes he didn't do any wrong. Should this proceed further we will find out what the "just cause" is.
Ollie can believe whatever he wants to believe. I still think the unviversity knows their reputation is at risk if they lose to Ollie. They wouldn’t do it unless they thought they had him dead in their tracts, at least, I hope so...

Reaction Score
His entire reputation as an upstanding human being? He still has that to lose. He can go to the NBA even with college recruiting violations

Ala Kelvin Sampson and so many others.

Reaction Score
Ollie can believe whatever he wants to believe. I still think the unviversity knows their reputation is at risk if they lose to Ollie. They wouldn’t do it unless they thought they had him dead in their tracts, at least, I hope so...
If they have him "dead in their tracts" then they should go for the kill. If he committed major infractions that "WILL" penalize UCONN then he shouldn't get anything. I don't believe he committed any infractions though.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If they have him "dead in their tracts" then they should go for the kill. If he committed major infractions that "WILL" penalize UCONN then he shouldn't get anything. I don't believe that's the though.
You can believe whatever you want. Personally, I believe they are going for the kill. Getting Ollie’s contract off the books would be huge for us to afford our next coaches contract.

Reaction Score
You can believe whatever you want. Personally, I believe they are going for the kill. Getting Ollie’s contract off the books would be huge for us to afford our next coaches contract.
Unless they've got some really incriminating evidence, they better have a donor, then, because if they need that money it ain't going to be available for a while. KO is going to fight this.

Reaction Score
If they have him "dead in their tracts" then they should go for the kill. If he committed major infractions that "WILL" penalize UCONN then he shouldn't get anything. I don't believe he committed any infractions though.
besides the fact that you two are friends, why don't you think he did anything? The NCAA showed up to campus a couple weeks before the season ended

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom