SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing | Page 2 | The Boneyard

SI: How Kevin Ollie Could Contest UConn's 'Just Cause' Firing

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
What further damage? UConn trashed his reputation when they fired him for cause.

I know there is a lot of Ollie hate on this board and posters think that because they don't like Ollie that UConn doesn't have to pay him, but that is not how contracts or negotiations work.

Uh, no. Once again, it's because we have NCAA allegations/violations looming over our heads.

Reaction Score
What further damage? UConn trashed his reputation when they fired him for cause.

I know there is a lot of Ollie hate on this board and posters think that because they don't like Ollie that UConn doesn't have to pay him, but that is not how contracts or negotiations work.

Your track record speaks for itself and we will see how this turns out.

Reaction Score

You are making a lot of one sided assumptions. First, KO has a lot to use. Do you think UConn fired him blindly or do you think they had their lawyers go over the contract first and then acted? Have you heard UConns side yet? Nope, because they have remained silent. I agree this can get messy and if that happens, everyone loses.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Ollie’s reputation in the nba is probably fine. I recall a lot of early speculation that he’d get an NBA asst coaching gig pretty quickly this summer.

Just having guys like Larry brown and Durant in your corner gives you a chance.

Reaction Score
I assumed from the jump that this move was negotiating tactic but the university. I doubt they ever expected to get off scot-free.
It absolutely was. I'm sure they made him an initial offer that he declined. So then they had to go hard ball.

Reaction Score
From my understanding talking to some people with more knowledge than me, we haven't even reached the negotiation stage yet
It's a procedural thing, nothing more nothing less. There is a process involved that has to be followed when someone is terminated for cause. If he wasn't in the Union this would probably be over already

Yup. It’s always been about the process - that’s why UConn used the language it did initially. It will speed up after first prescribed (Step 1) meeting.

Reaction Score
That doesn't surprise me in the least. It's the smart move on Ollie's part. He's got the time advantage. He's still getting paid while this is all going on. The time pressure is all on the school. Ollie can drag this out as long as he wants.

His legal position may not be strong when and if it ever becomes necessary for him to file a federal lawsuit, but we're a long way from there yet. Out here in the non- legal world, Ollie has the school over a barrel, and he knows it.

UCONN needs it resolved so they can hire a new coach. With the finances impossible to accurately quantify, that becomes very difficult. How do you determine what you can afford to pay the new coach with the buyout issue unresolved? It drives up the buyout price in negotiations. Ollie has UCONN exactly where he wants.
Not really true at all...he can only drag this out as long as his process allows. If the arbitrator rules in his favor he gets his $10 million. If they rule in UConn’s favor then he has to spend more $$ to try and get his $. He won’t get his “for cause” terms until he meets with Benedict. Also remember he is bound to the terms of the union contract as well as his own contract. He can’t pick and choose what he is held to and what he isn’t. IE: he gets Union representation and process he is held to the terms of their contract that are not superseded in his. So don’t be surprised if his Union rep and attorney are floored by what they get handed by Benedict..which by the way was most certainly signed off by both HR & Legal. All of which will be available to anyone via FOI when it’s done unless a deal is struck to make it redactable. Even his address is non-redactable since he isn’t a law enforcement officer.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
If he tries to take it all the way to federal court then he should never be welcomed back at UConn ever again.

Ridiculous.

The burden is on UConn not Ollie.

If UConn doesnt offer him an acceptable deal he would be mind numbingly stupid to not fight this tooth and nail.

August_West

Reaction Score
Ollie risks further damage to his reputation and the risk of receiving nothing if the University is able to demonstrate that it had just cause

And what if Ollie thinks they cant demonstrate it?

Reaction Score
And what if Ollie thinks they cant demonstrate it?
Ollie can think what Ollie wants to think...the fact he is a union member means that his “for cause” termination went through HR & was signed off by Legal. That means they have him on something that is a clear violation of his contract. He is also held to the terms of the Union contract as Inhave stated above.

August_West

Reaction Score
Once again, it's because we have NCAA allegations/violations looming over our heads.

Really?
What?

I know there is something called an "inquiry or an investigation". But we have no clue as to what that means thanks to the de rigeur lack of transparency by the clown show that is the UConn admin.

Reaction Score

Totally agree. Only Ollie knows if he violated any rules. If he didn't, then he's doing the right thing and it's our university that looks bad. Some of you guys kill me, When you owe someone money, You pay! We and the university feel like Ollie provided poor service, so it's ok to try and negotiate but in the end, you honor your contract and word. Pay the man his money and get him out of our lives.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Really?
What?

I know there is something called an "inquiry or an investigation". But we have no clue as to what that means thanks to the de rigeur lack of transparency by the clown show that is the UConn admin.

Whether you like it or not, you do not have the right or authority to know what is going on.

Reaction Score
I can tell you guys this...having been in this situation as a union rep...there are always 2 sides to the story in something like this..the employee and the employee’s conduct as it pertains to their contracted rights. When HR & Legal sign off on something like this it is pretty clear cut as to what behavior violates what sections of the contract. This is where damage control comes in and you try to get the employee to be allowed to retire or resign before being terminated. You are usually blindsided because usually what the person you are representing is telling you is either a half truth or not the whole story....sometimes it’s just a complete fabrication.

August_West

Reaction Score
You don't.

giphy.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc