SI: After UNC Mess, UConn Should Have Just Cheated Too | The Boneyard

SI: After UNC Mess, UConn Should Have Just Cheated Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/5203537;jsessionid=3F7182A1318D08086772A00BF8583BD3.cnnsi1

I don't know what the NCAA can say to Penn State now. But I really don't know what the NCAA says to Connecticut.

You remember Connecticut, don't you? The Huskies are ineligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament because poor academic scores.

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said he was not intimately familiar with the details of the UNC scandal, but that he found it "odd" the NCAA would punish Connecticut severely and not punish North Carolina at all. Manuel called it a "double standard."

The NCAA just made it clear: The Huskies should have cheated. UConn should have given all its players a phony A. Then the NCAA would say, "No violations here!" Instead, UConn was honest about its academic failures, and the NCAA banned the Huskies. Tell me again about those "life lessons" the NCAA wants to teach.

Reaction Score
I know UConn may be concerned about its relations with Tobacco Road right now and in the near future, but there seems to be enough here to warrant an objection. Someone should call UHartford's Harrison and mention to him that there is now a "demonstrable" double standard in play.

Reaction Score
It's disgusting, I'm not normally a violent person but it's a good thing I've never met Mark Emmert, I would put a serious hurting on him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Someone should call UHartford's Harrison and mention to him that there is now a "demonstrable" double standard in play.

He doesn't care. His job is done.

Reaction Score
Emmert hates Calhoun. It is VER VERY VERY VERY personal from his tenure at UConn. These guys hate each other. As a matter a fact if Emmert or Calhoun had a gun to the others head they would pull the trigger 4 or 5 times just like Jeffrey Johnson did near ESB. No amount of pledging "Justice for all" was going to change that. There never was justice with the UConn sanctions comparatively speaking. UConn failed immeasuably but there was a loophole that could have been threaded with accuracy and precision.

We will exact revenge in 2013-14. Not the end of the world. Being hated is not that bad a thing. Being hated means you are good at something. JMHO of course.

Reaction Score
Wow. Great article. Great perspective. Such a shame what they are doing to our program

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The only thing I don't like about it is the "academic failures" were predominently transfers and players going pro. They really shouldn't even be a reason for sanctions.

Hmmn, I fee a haiku coming on:

fake courses are fine
helping kids go pro is not
go die Emert

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever been so upset with an injustice related to sports than I am with the NCAA's handling of the APR, and other academic matters. Missed calls in the midst of a heated competition happen - they're honest mistakes. This is a calculated plan by the NCAA to get back at UConn and Jim Calhoun for whatever it is they're angry about.

Am I completely missing the boat here, or did Julius Peppers have a 1.7 GPA during UNC's Final Four run in 2001? I have no idea how the NCAA can turn a blind eye to this when clearly, he was ineligible.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Speaking about things just being swept away, what ever happened to the big news out of Syracuse about many players failing drug tests multiple times but still playing when they should have been suspended?

Reaction Score
I don't think I've ever been so upset with an injustice related to sports than I am with the NCAA's handling of the APR, and other academic matters. Missed calls in the midst of a heated competition happen - they're honest mistakes. This is a calculated plan by the NCAA to get back at UConn and Jim Calhoun for whatever it is they're angry about.

Am I completely missing the boat here, or did Julius Peppers have a 1.7 GPA during UNC's Final Four run in 2001? I have no idea how the NCAA can turn a blind eye to this when clearly, he was ineligible.

Reaction Score
http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/5203537;jsessionid=3F7182A1318D08086772A00BF8583BD3.cnnsi1

I don't know what the NCAA can say to Penn State now. But I really don't know what the NCAA says to Connecticut.

You remember Connecticut, don't you? The Huskies are ineligible for the 2013 NCAA tournament because poor academic scores.

UConn athletic director Warde Manuel said he was not intimately familiar with the details of the UNC scandal, but that he found it "odd" the NCAA would punish Connecticut severely and not punish North Carolina at all. Manuel called it a "double standard."

The NCAA just made it clear: The Huskies should have cheated. UConn should have given all its players a phony A. Then the NCAA would say, "No violations here!" Instead, UConn was honest about its academic failures, and the NCAA banned the Huskies. Tell me again about those "life lessons" the NCAA wants to teach.
Just emailed the article to memmert@ncaa.org.

Reaction Score
Amidst all the craziness of UCONN's petitioning and posturing, I've been waiting so long for any national print media to write these words:

"UCONN was honest about it's academic failures."

....and our head coach stands front and center to face the consequences. Not to mention the current players are taking care of business in the classroom as well.

UNC has definitely lost some of it's luster from this IMHO.

Reaction Score
Once we sign a Big East GOR we should fight the suspension and drag UNC through the mud if we have to. I think Herbst has chosen to be quiet on the suspension because of realignment.
Serving this sentence willingly makes no sense if we are locked in the Big East.

Reaction Score
You would think someone would have specifically called out Emmert to explain why Uconn was treated one way while UNC was treated a different way. And until he can provide a legitimate reason, the question should continue to be asked...

Expose this clown and his small minded vindictive ways along with his vendetta against Calhoun. I still don't think the average fan who knows of Uconns recent NCAA issues knows the history of Emmerts relationship with UCONN and Calhoun...

Reaction Score
You would think someone would have specifically called out Emmert to explain why Uconn was treated one way while UNC was treated a different way. And until he can provide a legitimate reason, the question should continue to be asked...

Expose this clown and his small minded vindictive ways along with his vendetta against Calhoun. I still don't think the average fan who knows of Uconns recent NCAA issues knows the history of Emmerts relationship with UCONN and Calhoun...

Did anyone email the author and tell him about the relationship between Emmert and UConn? Maybe he'll run with it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The only thing I don't like about it is the "academic failures" were predominently transfers and players going pro. They really shouldn't even be a reason for sanctions.

Hmmn, I fee a haiku coming on:

fake courses are fine
helping kids go pro is not
go die Emert

Nice! A Haiku to express our hatred of UNC and the NCAA. Now, someone has to write both of those institutions and explain to them what a "haiku" means...;)

(by the way, before you do that, make the last sentence, "die, die, die, Emmert" so that it meets the 5-7-5 haiku criteria)

H

Husk-E

Nice! A Haiku to express our hatred of UNC and the NCAA. Now, someone has to write both of those institutions and explain to them what a "haiku" means...;)

(by the way, before you do that, make the last sentence, "die, die, die, Emmert" so that it meets the 5-7-5 haiku criteria)
I think a better way to meet the 5-7-5 criteria would be "**** yourself Emmert."

C

Chief00

So does anyone still think Emmert's not out to get UConn and Jim Calhoun in particular? And to think some viewed my position as believing in black helicopters, etc. I guess the ones with the conspiracy belief's were the ones that thought the NCAA was fair minded and not petty, greedy and not caring about what they pretend to care about - academics/student athletes.

Reaction Score

Exactly! After all of this garbage UConn deserves an explanation. Somebody just simply needs to ask Emmert why??? Hopefully this is getting picked up by more of the national media. If you ask me, the UNC situation is 10 times worse than UConn. I would love to see Emmert on with somebody like Francesa who would grill him on the issue.

Reaction Score
I made the mistake of visiting UNC's scout board, to get a sense for their reaction to the recent news. Far from contrite, the most recent post on the BBall board is a gloating link to the top 25 sketchiest programs. An impressive turn in just a few months, they have gone from denial, to acknowledgement and rationalization (everybody is doing it!), back to denial, and now the return to a false sense of superiority.

Reaction Score
Can someone who has a pretty good grasp of Emmert's history with UConn please email it to Rosenberg? I'm not sure he's aware but he needs to know, he is the one guy in the national media who may actually run with this story. I'd email him but i would sound like some conspiracy theorist of a fan. "Emmert worked at UConn in the late 90's, didn't like JC, was passed over for a promotion....wahhhhhhh"

Email is at the top of the article.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...C-NCAA-academic-fraud/index.html?sct=cb_t2_a6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom