Shutup Meg | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Shutup Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I wrote numerous responses to this that ranged from vitriolic to humorous. Some were quite witty and entertaining. Others were even worse personal attacks than calling a fellow poster an idiot. But then I thought, hey, you have the right to your opinion. So if you think that makes me an idiot, good for you. I won't even ask you to shut up. But I still wish Meg would.

That's debatable.

Reaction Score
I am so incredibly sick of her calling out "freshman plays" or "freshman mistakes". Stewie misses a left handed lay up by a quarter of an inch, with contact and it's the only thing Meg can say. Was it a junior mistake when Bria has 5 turnovers and missed every shot today? I really just can't believe she gets paid for this. I was really hoping we would get new announcers when the switch to SNY happened but no such luck.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I am so incredibly sick of her calling out "freshman plays" or "freshman mistakes". Stewie misses a left handed lay up by a quarter of an inch, with contact and it's the only thing Meg can say. Was it a junior mistake when Bria has 5 turnovers and missed every shot today? I really just can't believe she gets paid for this. I was really hoping we would get new announcers when the switch to SNY happened but no such luck.
she needs to learn some new basketball lingo "freshman mistake" is being worn out by her... Im still bothered by "she went up like a freshman"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am so incredibly sick of her calling out "freshman plays" or "freshman mistakes". Stewie misses a left handed lay up by a quarter of an inch, with contact and it's the only thing Meg can say. Was it a junior mistake when Bria has 5 turnovers and missed every shot today?
No, that is completely two different things. :confused:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
she needs to learn some new basketball lingo "freshman mistake" is being worn out by her... Im still bothered by "she went up like a freshman"
But it was extremely accurate. Probably one of the better phases I've heard in quite awhile.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Familiarity breeds contempt. If we heard Meg 4-5 games a year, there wouldn't be the same reaction but the fact that we have listened to her every game for the last however many years it's been means that we've essentially heard it all before. I noticed this phenomenon with a favorite author of mine. I loved her books until about the 12th or so when I realized it was all starting to sound the same.

Nan, you nailed it. I liked her a lot initially. She provided insights into the program and the people in the program. But those insights are limited and we've heard them again and again and for years. Personally, I'd like more analysis of the play. IE choices/rules on the motion offenses, who looks to do what and when in the offense,

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Telling anyone to shut up is rude and demeaning. Putting it in a thread title in the middle of a game was inflammatory and unnecessary.

Some fans are happy they won't have to listen to Meg anymore this season; I'm happy hopeful there won't be any more threads about Meg until November. They're hypercritical, repetitive and tedious.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I happen to believe that a fundamental responsibility of the announcers (usually one play-by-play and a partner doing analysis, often backed up by a third person on the floor) is to prepare. Before going on air, they should do their homework, which includes study of the rosters to make sure that they know how to pronounce each player's name, where s/he is from, plus interesting or pertinent information abour each of them. When they come up short, I think it is fair to call attention to it. There is an Ignore button for those who disagree.

If only we could get one of them to do a play by play for the whole game...it would be easier to overlook the babble if someone was talking about what was going on on the floor. As the season has gone on, there is less about what is happening on the floor as the game progresses and more jib-jab. That's my complaint, and has been for sometime. Even in the blow outs, I want to know what is going on, and the camera angles aren't always allowing the detail to be easily seen.

I feel as though I am repeating myself...didn't we discuss this in another thread?

Reaction Score
If only we could get one of them to do a play by play for the whole game...it would be easier to overlook the babble if someone was talking about what was going on on the floor. As the season has gone on, there is less about what is happening on the floor as the game progresses and more jib-jab. That's my complaint, and has been for sometime. Even in the blow outs, I want to know what is going on, and the camera angles aren't always allowing the detail to be easily seen.

I feel as though I am repeating myself...didn't we discuss this in another thread?

Multiple threads.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Telling anyone to shut up is rude and demeaning. Putting it in a thread title in the middle of a game was inflammatory and unnecessary.

Some fans are happy they won't have to listen to Meg anymore this season; I'm happy hopeful there won't be any more threads about Meg until November. They're hypercritical, repetitive and tedious.

Just like Meg's "contributions" to game broadcasts.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Let us remember that there is a context for that title of the OP. It was originally directed at Jerry Franklin along with the phrase, "Mute Jerry." It became something of a Boneyard meme for expressing irritation at endless, mindless drivel.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just like Meg's "contributions" to game broadcasts.

Exactly my point. The criticisms directed at Meg can be directed at the posts that criticize her.

Reaction Score
I noticed this phenomenon with a favorite author of mine. I loved her books until about the 12th or so when I realized it was all starting to sound the same.
Try Alice Munro. That will never happen. Unless it IS Alice Munro, which it couldn't be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom