Shutup Meg | The Boneyard

Shutup Meg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I wish someone would tell her that the name of that country is Ukraine. Not "The Ukraine" any more than there are other countries named The Canada or The Germany. Tells you something about her pre-game preparation. Pathetic.

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score
I wish someone would tell her that the name of that country is Ukraine. Not "The Ukraine" any more than there are other countries named The Canada or The Germany. Tells you something about her pre-game preparation. Pathetic.

Her mistake seems to be far too small an infraction to be called "pathetic" given that the region was long properly called "The Ukraine." The name change from "The Ukraine" to "Ukraine" came after the breakup of the Soviet Union. To this day, the United States is properly referred to as "the United States" and not "United States."

Your Ol' Pal Boo

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Her mistake seems to be far too small an infraction to be called "pathetic" given that the region was long properly called "The Ukraine." The name change from "The Ukraine" to "Ukraine" came after the breakup of the Soviet Union. To this day, the United States is properly referred to as "the Untied States" and not "United States."

Your Ol' Pal Boo
"Untied"? ;)

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Let's stay on topic here ... Meg ruins otherwise top-notch broadcasts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Back to the OP - yes, I have grown weary of Meg. It seems like a few games into each season the 'novelty' of the new season disappears and I am left cringing. And as the games mount up she annoys me more and more. By March it is too much. But this was the last SNY telecast for this season so I have a respite coming. And one of the reasons I am enjoying the Geno Show as much as I am this year is Kerith is not Meg.

Reaction Score
You know, I am very much NOT a fan of Culmo. But to be honest, last year we all complained that she had no substance and that all she said of intelligence was "Ho, ho ho." This year, less "Ho, ho, ho" and more analysis -- what they're doing, what they;re not doing. Analysis, which is what i thought we wanted her to do.

It's a long season and I'm tired of her, too. But I'm tired of Andrew, too. Twenty-something broadcasts reveal every quirk in an announcer's repertoire. A few games ago, Picozzi sounded good, God help me.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I happen to believe that a fundamental responsibility of the announcers (usually one play-by-play and a partner doing analysis, often backed up by a third person on the floor) is to prepare. Before going on air, they should do their homework, which includes study of the rosters to make sure that they know how to pronounce each player's name, where s/he is from, plus interesting or pertinent information abour each of them. When they come up short, I think it is fair to call attention to it. There is an Ignore button for those who disagree.

Reaction Score
It's getting worse every game. I can't take it.
Just watch the game..........If you are that annoyed, turn the audio off..........You could do your own commentary.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Just watch the game..........If you are that annoyed, turn the audio off..........You could do your own commentary.
Sorry, herb, lot's of us multitask and listen to the game as much as watch using the play by play to cue us in to what's happening and when to divert our focus to the TV. Turning down the sound doesn't solve that problem. I happen to agree with Kib that Meghan doesn't do quality pre-game prep. As the season wore on she wore on with it.

Reaction Score
Sorry, herb, lot's of us multitask and listen to the game as much as watch using the play by play to cue us in to what's happening and when to divert our focus to the TV. Turning down the sound doesn't solve that problem. I happen to agree with Kib that Meghan doesn't do quality pre-game prep. As the season wore on she wore on with it.
Go to the radio play by play, record the game, and if you hear something you really like, you can go back and watch it. Or just do your other important tasks. You must have something more important to complain about.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
I happen to believe that a fundamental responsibility of the announcers (usually one play-by-play and a partner doing analysis, often backed up by a third person on the floor) is to prepare. Before going on air, they should do their homework, which includes study of the rosters to make sure that they know how to pronounce each player's name, where s/he is from, plus interesting or pertinent information abour each of them. When they come up short, I think it is fair to call attention to it. There is an Ignore button for those who disagree.

If Meghan continues to as bad as most of us think she is, she may have a future as a CBS or ESPN WCBB announcer !

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Go to the radio play by play, record the game, and if you hear something you really like, you can go back and watch it. Or just do your other important tasks. You must have something more important to complain about.
Sorry, herb, none of your suggestions work, I've tried them. Radio isn't synced to TV. And doing more than one thing at a time is something I have long done and works best for me. Often I am reading and doing sermon prep or other writing, adding to the game thread, and listening/watching the game all at once if it is live and certainly if I DVRed it.

Reaction Score
Megan has a tough job. How much game analysis can she really do when the team is up 40? Even though, for some reason, she has annoyed me a little more. But I think any commentator (other than KLaw...who is awesome) would annoy me if I listened to him/her 20 games.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Yeah, I do that. And a lot of my commentary would just not do for the public airwaves.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
1) Tape five minutes of so of Dickie V. 2) If you get annoyed with Meg (or any other announcer of your choice), turn the sound off and play the dickie V tape. It will fix you right up, baby!

BooRadley

CPL Boo, USMC
Reaction Score

Yes, of course, there is always the option to hit the Ignore button... But, as it is fair for you to call attention to anything you'd like within the bounds of common decency and the board rules, others also have the right to disagree with you and post their response. Isn't that the essence of this board?

My comment centered upon what appears to be a hyper-sensitivity to the foibles of others and the need to call hyperbolic attention to their minor mistakes. I'm sure you would agree that increasing our quickness in finding fault in others is anything but a virtue.

If you are interested in further discussion of this, it would be best to discuss this using the Boneyard PM system.

YOPB

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Familiarity breeds contempt. If we heard Meg 4-5 games a year, there wouldn't be the same reaction but the fact that we have listened to her every game for the last however many years it's been means that we've essentially heard it all before. I noticed this phenomenon with a favorite author of mine. I loved her books until about the 12th or so when I realized it was all starting to sound the same.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score

Exactly, Kibitzer. My historical take: MCP was great early on as both a color commentator and even moreso as host of the Geno Show. However, over time it became apparent to me she was living off her rapport with coach and team without putting continued effort into improving her new vocation. I can understand why some found Picozzi more grating, but from listening to him in other games I appreciate that he does do homework, does embrace his vocation.

Admittedly, I was not a Burke fan in the beginning. She certainly did homework, but she did not know how to deviate from what she prepared. A few games in a row she asked Auriemma a question and he answered it in a way that addressed the next question she intended to bring up, which she would bring up anyways. However, as the season winds down I do appreciate that Burke, like Picozzi, is a professional putting her work in.

The one I like best is the male studio announcer .... forgot his name, not doing my homework ... even if he did butcher Abrosimova's name once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom