Should seniors get another year of eligibility? | The Boneyard

Should seniors get another year of eligibility?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I could see it for the Spring sports. But the Winter sports have already played. Just didn't get Tournament play. Many of the senior weren't gonna play in the tournament anyway, now they would get another year??? Yea that doesn't make sense.

On the other hand, I doubt that many would take advantage of it anyway. Most of them will graduate and want to move on with life. The big time players who could really impact, will want to get on with their professional careers. At least for basketball.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Not for Basketball. Spring Sports I have no problems with. For Women's Basketball the cancellation only impacts 96 teams (NCAA & WNIT) and 64 of the teams would have only played one Game. That's not enough of an impact to grant another year of eligibility. If we're realistic the Elite teams would only get stronger if they can keep this years seniors plus their incoming recruiting class. Can you imagine what Oregon would be if they kept their Four Seniors (inclu Sabouly) and add it their Five McDonald All Americans. UConn while not the same as Oregon, would be enhanced if Crystal could play another year with their incoming recruiting class.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If the season had ended in January, then I think it would be a valid consideration. Aside from the Big 12, every team played their conference tournament, so for those teams that would have made it to either the NCAA or NIT, you’re talking about another 1-6 games they missed.

The other issue is the basketball landscape will have completely changed next season: freshmen coming in, last year’s transfers like Evina eligible, an entire new batch of transfers filling rosters and undoubtedly some top seniors would opt to go pro rather than repeat their senior season.

Reaction Score
The "law of unintended consequences" comes into full play here. Granting another year WILL impact every other player including the development of incoming freshmen. There STILL will be only 5 players allowed on the court, the game will be 200 minutes long. Playing time, practice attention, travel and just about everything else will be affected. Adding a year, seems to me to take a bad situation and make it worse.

Reaction Score
I suppose all of the seniors will have finished their degree already. So what they will do for the another year in school? Unless they stay for the graduated degree.

But if WNBA postpone their draft and season some of the top players may be unemployed right after graduation. Very tough decision, very tough ...

Reaction Score
I guess Geno should reconsider his statement on the seniors granted extra eligibility. I was against this as well.
I heard the interview and I think he was referring to seniors for spring sports, which basketball is not. The season (regular and conference tournament) was already over except for the NCAA tournament for most teams, so seniors played a season.

Reaction Score
Totally against this. I would be in favor of allowing teams that have qualified for the tourney to be able to fly 2020 NCAA Tourney flags in their gyms. To some of the smaller schools, just getting in is a pretty big deal and this just adds to their conference champion signage.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Let's see, do we have Oregon, Baylor and SC on next year's schedule? I don't think that Oregon is...so yes, go for the 5th year. I also posted about the idea of the 5th year of eligibility in another of the "cancelled" type threads and brought up many of the reasons cited in this thread in my reasoning. This was before the Geno interview was posted, one of the Men's pundits has tweeted it. And I thought that the main concern would be for the Student\Athletes that were no longer "Students". The schools would have to foot the bill for them, and in UConn's case, it could be 5 team members. And the NCAA would have to alter the Max number of scholarships allowed but I guess that would be no problem for the NCAA, just a problem for the schools.
Maybe a Federal Stimulus package will address this too. :)

Reaction Score
After listening to the interview again, at the end Gena mentioned basketball. But most of it was about the spring sports and I think the seniors should get an extra year of eligibility. Not for basketball.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Since they're already graduated and in the real world, they should be paid.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, in an interview this morning on ESPN’s “Get Up” morning TV sports talk program, Dick Vitale strongly suggested that all seniors be granted another year of eligibility to return next year if they wish to compete for the championship that was taken from them. He also endorsed the idea of having “Czar” to oversee operations, eligibility issues, waiver and rules issues, etc. instead of the NCAA president.

A lot of coaches and players who are a lot more invested in this than we are, who are not happy with the decision to cancel the tournament instead of waiting 30-45 days (like the NBA is doing) to see what the status of the pandemic is then. All players and coaches could be tested during this waiting period.

Jay Bilas’ take: “it was absolutely the right thing to do. The NCAA acted responsibly in the only way they could. It’s not about athlete welfare, it’s about slowing the spread of a virus against the backdrop of a global pandemic.” On postponement of the tournament, Bilas says the trying logistically trying to recreate all of the schedules and games in the assigned venues would be nearly impossible.

He also endorses the idea as does Geno with the idea of offering another year of eligibility to seniors. There are high profile people on both sides here.

Dickie V also likes the idea of announcing the field for the tournament. There are a lot of people on both sides of the aisle on this topic. I respect everyone’s opinion expressed here, but none of us were brought to tears, or is as emotionally invested in this as the players and coaches are. I also understand and respect their point of view. I think it’s fair to say that our perspective is totally different than theirs.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
For what it’s worth, in an interview this morning on ESPN’s “Get Up” morning TV sports talk program, Dick Vitale strongly suggested that all seniors be granted another year of eligibility to return next year if they wish to compete for the championship that was taken from them. He also endorsed the idea of having “Czar” to oversee operations, eligibility issues etc. instead of the NCAA president. A lot of coaches are not happy with the decision to cancel the tournament instead of waiting 30-45 days (like the NBA is doing) to see what the status of the pandemic is then. He also likes the idea of announcing the field for the tournament.
Dickie V is just disappointed that he won’t get to preach about all the “diaper-dandies” who are “P.T.P.”s (prime time players) and are knocking down “area code J’s.” ;)

Reaction Score
Consider carefully why you would do this for winter sports - if it is because Seniors did not have the tourney then remember that all the others on the team also missed it so should the entire teams get an extra year so everyone could enjoy 4 tournaments? I do feel greatly for the seniors who missed the high point of their college experience but it is much deeper than that. I would expect spring sport athletes would be fine since they would not lose a year of eligibility as they would not have played. It is not connected to your year in school but years of participation.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In this unique circumstance, with athletes who have been shortchanged,
it is natural that proposals like this circulate and are momentarily contemplated...

But after cooler minds examine it and the litany of negative, unintended consequences,
it will pass.

Wisely.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom