Should NCAA cancel | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should NCAA cancel

Should men and women's NCAA basketball tournaments be canceled?

• Yes

Votes: 29 46.0%
  • No

Votes: 34 54.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Doesn't much matter if the players have corona virus or not. They aren't at risk based on all available evidence.

all about fear of spreading virus via crowds and the at risk elderly and sick that might be exposed as a result.

Reaction Score
Doesn't much matter if the players have corona virus or not. They aren't at risk based on all available evidence.

all about fear of spreading virus via crowds and the at risk elderly and sick that might be exposed as a result.
Really? It actually does matter if the players have the virus, based upon being able to transmit it to all that they come into contact with, including people of all ages and all physical conditions.

Reaction Score
Really? It actually does matter if the players have the virus, based upon being able to transmit it to all that they come into contact with, including people of all ages and all physical conditions.
They just cancelled an NBA game because players were sick. It certainly does matter.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Looking on the brigter side, now that those inconvenient fans are gone, we can eliminate color commentators, a.k.a.,talking babbling heads, and replace them with
m. m. m. ...Max Headroom.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Isn't that what my second paragraph says?

i thought that's what my second paragraph said.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Some bad information here - severe cases are not limited to older people. While the death rate by age group is heavily weighted toward 65 and older patients, the levels of hospitalization/ICU are not as heavily weighted with children and young/middle aged adults requiring significant care. They may actually require more care because they are not dying or dying less quickly than the old and infirm.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="
It would be surprising if they did:p Gobert was touching all the microphones the other day. That would be unfortunate.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

couldn't tell if that actually happened today or what.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see hospitalization rates broken by age...

saw this today:

Saw something yesterday from Italy yesterday showing essentially same age findings, with death rate maybe being even better linked to number of pre-existing conditions.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Might as well cancel now. That's where it is going.
And the NBA has canceled the season after tonight's games. I would hope/guess that NCAA BB will be next and cancel 2020 March Madness.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'd love to see hospitalization rates broken by age...

saw this today:

Saw something yesterday from Italy yesterday showing essentially same age findings, with death rate maybe being even better linked to number of pre-existing conditions.

Death rate in South Korea is actually unusually low at this time because the age profile for their cases is much lower than either China or Italy and their health system was prepared and has not been overwhelmed. They had a super-transmitter who belong to a secretive Christian sect that specifically proselytized young adults and a large portion of their cases are within this sect.

I am not in any way disputing that the death rate is predominantly over 65 around the world, but the age profile of those contracting the disease and the hospitalization rates are less weighted to the aged. One of the factors for 65 and over death rates being so high in China and Italy specifically is that their health systems were overwhelmed and ICU care had to be rationed among the sickest people with older patients being denied the ICU care in favor of younger patients.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The NBA has recommended that the last ten days of Jazz opponents (Cleveland, NY, Boston, Detroit, and Toronto also self quarantine. But then that expands to the teams each of those teams have played in the days up to now - Cleveland played Denver, San Antonio, and Chicago; NY played Oklahoma, Washington, and Atlanta; Boston played Indiana; Detroit played Philadelphia; and Toronto hasn't played anyone since the Jazz. Then you really need to go to the teams those teams played as well, etc. So that is 14 NBA teams at just one remove and might get up to 20 if you followed the competition tree to its conclusion that should be in some level of quarantine. Then add in all the reporters that covered the games and technicians who set up the mikes Gobert touched and the refs and training staffs and locker room attendants, and ...

That is how a contract tree works and when you think of the bars and restaurants and taxis or car services and flight attendants and ... It really does begin to bring home the meaning of social distancing and how contagion can spread. These guys travel from city to city around the country interacting with hundreds/thousands of people each week.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Hoiberg reportedly felt ill earlier in the day. Had no business showing up. This was at the Big 10 Tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Should have added the option to your poll

Play but no fans

It’s already been determined fans will not be allowed at any games going forward. I hope the tournament is not canceled, but there are just too many moving parts going forward that have to remain in place for the games to continue. You can start with air travel, hotel lodging and dining in restaurants.

Things that before now were routinely done without a second thought, cannot be considered routine anymore. Each one of those places could be a potential breeding ground for the virus. A door knob, a restaurant menu that been handled by hundreds of people. Think about, nobody wipes off or cleans restaurant menus with disinfectant. Yuck. :confused:

The NBA is going to great lengths to protect and insulate it’s players. I would think that the NCAA would (for the same reasons) follow suit. The players may want to play, but what if their parents object? Who has the final word? Final thought, if an NBA player can contract the virus, why can’t a college athlete?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It’s already been determined fans will not be allowed at any games going forward. I hope the tournament is not canceled, but there are just too many moving parts going forward that have to remain in place for the games to continue. You can start with air travel, hotel lodging and dining in restaurants.

Things that before now were routinely done without a second thought, cannot be considered routine anymore. Each one of those places could be a potential breeding ground for the virus. A door knob, a restaurant menu that been handled by hundreds of people. Think about, nobody wipes off or cleans restaurant menus with disinfectant. Yuck. :confused:

The NBA is going to great lengths to protect and insulate it’s players. I would think that the NCAA would (for the same reasons) follow suit. The players may want to play, but what if their parents object? Who has the final word? Final thought, if an NBA player can contract the virus, why can’t a college athlete?
Just as NBA suspends/cancels current schedule, NCAA will follow.

Both Jay Bilas and Charles Barkley outlined the rationale for the NCAA to follow in suspending/canceling.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
welp the SEC, AAC, and Big 10 just cancelled their tournaments

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Big Ten, SEC and American conferences just cancelled their conference tournaments...

Hard to see how the NCAA's isn't just around the corner.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Big Ten, ACC and American conferences just cancelled their conference tournaments...

Hard to see how the NCAA's isn't just around the corner.

ACC just announced...... breaking news on my local station........

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom