Should Facey get some time at the 4? | The Boneyard

Should Facey get some time at the 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kid rebounds like a machine. Sure could use a few more boards.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Kid rebounds like a machine. Sure could use a few more boards.

Well, no, he rebounds like my mother, but since the rest of them rebound like my grandmother, I say sure. Give him more time.

But, lord, he must be awful in practice to be sitting behind the rest of them.

Reaction Score
No, this was a bad team loss and putting a weaker, less able player in the frontcourt will only make things worse.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
But, lord, he must be awful in practice to be sitting behind the rest of them.
That's what I was thinking. He must be awful in practice or done something to seriously offend KO if he can't find minutes in this front court.

Reaction Score
That's what I was thinking. He must be awful in practice or done something to seriously offend KO if he can't find minutes in this front court.
I never agreed with the earn minutes in practice philosophy. Practice at 8 AM on a Tuesday is a completely different thing compared to an actual game. If a player has a terrible week in practice then come game time he has 10 pts 10 boards, he better be getting minutes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
He may practice horrible, but he's shown things that he can be the best big on the team. That alone should land him some more minutes.

Reaction Score
I never agreed with the earn minutes in practice philosophy. Practice at 8 AM on a Tuesday is a completely different thing compared to an actual game. If a player has a terrible week in practice then come game time he has 10 pts 10 boards, he better be getting minutes.

I'm not a Pro, but I was never a 'Practice Player', in fact I didn't like it. But I came through at game time. So practice should not be the only indicator, but its the Coach's call so something is up.

When Facey gets in he has to make a Marcus White type performance to get noticed. Sometimes it takes that.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'm not a Pro, but I was never a 'Practice Player', in fact I didn't like it. But I came through at game time. So practice should not be the only indicator, but its the Coach's call so something is up.

When Facey gets in he has to make a Marcus White type performance to get noticed. Sometimes it takes that.
Hopefully Facey or Samuel don't think about transferring. They've played virtually nothing all year and see the same mistakes made by the starters.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Facey or Samuel don't think about transferring. They've played virtually nothing all year and see the same mistakes made by the starters.
Dude, just get off the transfer stuff. You've been speculating for a while that Tolksdorf will transfer, and now you've thrown Facey and Samuel into the ring. Just stop.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Dude, just get off the transfer stuff. You've been speculating for a while that Tolksdorf will transfer, and now you've thrown Facey and Samuel into the ring. Just stop.
If you were a top 100 recruit and you see we have frontcourt problems, wouldn't you want to play? Instead your fastened to the pine and can't do anything to get off of it. And you see Daniels get eaten alive every game, Nolan throw up garbage shots, Brimah fouling like a crazy person, and everyone can't rebound. And still you're not given a chance.

Reaction Score
You're asking for a team of prima donnas if you coach that way.

Reaction Score
JC always depended on practice why should that change. If Kentan cannot find many minutes in that front court then he still is learning, pretty simple. I think we all agree he shows the will to rebound but if you can't guard anyone then you can't play or if you don't know the plays well enough and get lost you don't play. We can speculate all we want about why, but the fact is if he's not playing then he's not practicing well enough it is that simple!

Reaction Score
Would you rather have players perform well in practice or in a game?

It's college not Allen Iverson here CT….he needs to practice better than the next guy to earn his minutes or else be secluded to the pine. As I said no different than JC or even Geno and I think they have had some success with this pattern.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I'd like to think practice matters. It's not like any of them are beyond learning anything.
I agree practice matters and I bet they are learning. But the problem is that we have seen literally no improvement at all since the start of the year. In some cases, players have regressed.

Reaction Score
Really? Then what would you use? It isn't like Facey has lit it up in games. In fact it appears that Facey is the Ollie's last frontcourt option and that should tell you something. It isn't as if Facey was a starter who had a bad week of practice. It is much more likely he has had a season of sub par practices. You really need to trust the coaching staff on this one because they actually see the players play and we don't.

Reaction Score
None of the options down low right now are sufficient for the type of program we want to remain.

Reaction Score
Really? Then what would you use? It isn't like Facey has lit it up in games. In fact it appears that Facey is the Ollie's last frontcourt option and that should tell you something. It isn't as if Facey was a starter who had a bad week of practice. It is much more likely he has had a season of sub par practices. You really need to trust the coaching staff on this one because they actually see the players play and we don't.
Yes, I understand the point how the staff sees how they perform in practice. But Olander, Nolan, and Brimah have not exactly looked like Emeka Okafor or Hasheem Thabeet. Its not like the guard situation where I understand completely why Samuel hasnt gotten minutes because KO isnt going to bench Napier or Boatright in favor of him. We get very little production from our big men as it is, so why not see how Facey can handle himself in a game. Thats how he can improve, by getting in game experience.

Reaction Score
When our option chosen is Giffey guarding the 5 then we are in serious trouble. Why not put Facey in? None our of bigs can guard right now. That way Giffey could get more than 3 shots which is the statistic of last nights game that sticks out the most to me.

Reaction Score
Yes, I understand the point how the staff sees how they perform in practice. But Olander, Nolan, and Brimah have not exactly looked like Emeka Okafor or Hasheem Thabeet. Its not like the guard situation where I understand completely why Samuel hasnt gotten minutes because KO isnt going to bench Napier or Boatright in favor of him. We get very little production from our big men as it is, so why not see how Facey can handle himself in a game. Thats how he can improve, by getting in game experience.

I guess I have the question of the day then Ts…….if he can't handle our front court (yes the one everyone says is soft and has not improved) in practice day in-day out then how's he going to handle the better front courts we play in real game situations?

Reaction Score
He may practice horrible, but he's shown things that he can be the best big on the team. That alone should land him some more minutes.

How? B/c he played well against Detroit? Have you seen him against a real team? He looks totally lost; worse than any of the other bigs. He seems to have a nose for the boards, I'll give you that. But for the millionth time, there is a reason he's not playing.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
How? B/c he played well against Detroit? Have you seen him against a real team? He looks totally lost; worse than any of the other bigs. He seems to have a nose for the boards, I'll give you that. But for the millionth time, there is a reason he's not playing.
Haven't seen him get any action against a good team this year. He's seen 2-3 minutes a game with the exception of the Maine and Detroit games; where he collected 9 and 7 rebounds respectively.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen him get any action against a good team this year. He's seen 2-3 minutes a game with the exception of the Maine and Detroit games; where he collected 9 and 7 rebounds respectively.

Exactly... In those 2-3 minutes he has looked overmatched. Down the line he can a real solid player. But he's not ready now. Same thing with Samuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom