Should Diaco Be Fired Tonight? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Diaco Be Fired Tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Not for the results tonight - away at #6? Nah
BUT if the defense doesn't improve in the coming weeks and they lose badly to even Cinci - I say the experiment is over
The guy was/is supposed to be a D genius and this year's secondary was to be stellar - the D sucks and don't even look like they give an effort
A lot of people are all over BS - nobody claimed the guy to be a prolific D1 passer - an athlete yeah but this team doesn't need a 5'10" athletic QB - nor do the need a 5"8" running back
The offense plays hard and the defense is lazy, gutless and clueless

Reaction Score
Weist helped save us from a winless season. I believe we were down at Temple, 21-0 at halftime, before coming back to win and then win the final two.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Weist helped save us from a winless season. I believe we were down at Temple, 21-0 at halftime, before coming back to win and then win the final two.

And for that we are all grateful, but it doesn't necessarily mean he's the best choice for a long-term HC.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First half was on the players.

Similar to the USF game three years ago, Diaco got smaller and smaller as the game went on. He consistently demonstrates he won't let the offense play through its mistakes and stay aggressive. For three years the moment has always been bigger than Diaco's coaching.

Reaction Score
So the brilliant defensive genius got gashed again. And we have zero offense.

Look, this was going to be a blowout most likely in any case. Houston is an excellent football team and is very well coached. This result is no big surprise. We really need an innovative coach who can take advantage of what we have and maximize it.. Wideouts and tight ends and to a degree Newzome. But Diaco's approach does none of that.

And what happened to the defense? That is a huge mystery to me.

You can't really fire Diaco over this loss but he has just continued to show no head coaching ability which would be reason to do it.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The only former coach/coordinator I'd want back at UCONN is Moorhead. He's proven he can have an offense at this level and coach a winning team.

Oh I don't know about the "only". I think most people on the board would take back Orlando, Edsall, Weist, Moorhead, and possibly even Hughes to run this team instead of this idiot...

Reaction Score
Oh I don't know about the "only". I think most people on the board would take back Orlando, Edsall, Weist, Moorhead, and possibly even Hughes to run this team instead of this idiot...

I was on the Orlando train until tonight. He will always have my favorite all time defenses at UCONN, but it's painfully clear that we need an offensive minded head coach. I mean look at Herman, Taggart, Montgomery, Meyer, Holgerson, even Chad Morris. All have improved the offenses in one year. Do I expect to have a Houston type offensive explosion if we get a HC like that? No, but I think we can be somewhere in the 80s with any sort of offensive minded gameplan

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was on the Orlando train until tonight. He will always have my favorite all time defenses at UCONN, but it's painfully clear that we need an offensive minded head coach. I mean look at Herman, Taggart, Montgomery, Meyer, Holgerson, even Chad Morris. All have improved the offenses in one year. Do I expect to have a Houston type offensive explosion if we get a HC like that? No, but I think we can be somewhere in the 80s with any sort of offensive minded gameplan

You can bring in a head coach with a defensive background. He just has to understand offense is necessary and needs to be explosive.

Reaction Score
You can bring in a head coach with a defensive background. He just has to understand offense is necessary and needs to be explosive.

True, but when was the last time we had a HC with an offensive background. None that I remember. Uconn hasn't had an exciting offense since 2004. Sure we've had punishing olines that dictated the game, but the offense was still pretty vanilla. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I th8bk it's time to stop status quo and try something differnt

Reaction Score

Problem is UConn is New England and therefore we live a an old school world. Running offensive and rely on defense. And so the game has passed us by.

Reaction Score
What does Boneyard think? Fire Diaco and have Weist take over for the rest of the season?
This coming from someone who has taken many shots at HCBD and his Coaching Staff; not letting him off the hook, but games like tonight make it crystal clear this team does not have the talent to compete at the level we want them to. Houston is a Top Ten Ranked Team. Last season we stood toe-to-toe with them and prevailed. Tonight we were not competitive. I'm not sure we are in the top half of teams in the AAC and I question if we are in the top half of all FCS programs. Realistic appraisal. We come short on both Offense and Defense. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
This coming from someone who has taken many shots at HCBD and his Coaching Staff; not letting him off the hook, but games like tonight make it crystal clear this team does not have the talent to compete at the level we want them to.
Isn't that on him at some point?

Reaction Score
This coming from someone who has taken many shots at HCBD and his Coaching Staff; not letting him off the hook, but games like tonight make it crystal clear this team does not have the talent to compete at the level we want them to. Houston is a Top Ten Ranked Team. Last season we stood toe-to-toe with them and prevailed. Tonight we were not competitive. I'm not sure we are in the top half of teams in the AAC and I question if we are in the top half of all FCS programs. Realistic appraisal. We come short on both Offense and Defense. Am I wrong?

Yes Houston may have a lot more highly ranked recruits than us and it also seemed like we had a decent gameplan on both sides of the ball for the first 20 minutes. But it seems Diaco refuses to leave some sort of comfort zone. He's really seems to take "land of steady habits" to heart.

Reaction Score
Isn't that on him at some point?
Yes, he is ultimately responsible for recruiting and as Bill Parcells said "If you want me to cook the dinner you have to let me buy the groceries". And his recruits are not gelling into a team competing at the level we all expect. My point is that the game was lost tonight, and probably lost against Syracuse, more by lack of talent on the field than coaching errors.

Reaction Score
Yes Houston may have a lot more highly ranked recruits than us and it also seemed like we had a decent gameplan on both sides of the ball for the first 20 minutes. But it seems Diaco refuses to leave some sort of comfort zone. He's really seems to take "land of steady habits" to heart.
Its a Bizzaro World where I'm defending HCBD, but to your point, Diaco may know that if he deviated from the first qtr gameplan the results would have been even worse??? To make adjustments on the fly and succeed you need to have talent performing on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom