Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC?

Reaction Score
From today’s Mike Anthony story:

-> Benedict said UConn is considering several search firms to assist with the hire. The athletic department is putting together what Benedict called a “package of recruitment materials,” which would support explanations to interested coaches for how the program is supported, and what resources will be at its disposal.

Benedict will soon meet with UConn’s interim president, Andrew Agwunobi, and the framework for the search will continue to take shape from there. Most serious candidates will be active coaches so interviews are expected to be conducted into the offseason.

Last Saturday, before a 45-0 loss to Purdue at Rentschler Field, a group of athletic department representatives walked the tailgate lots to ask fans what they would prefer in the qualities of the next coach. Benedict said the opinion of former players will be valued. Calls from the football community have already started coming in — from people either interested in the job, or claiming to know the perfect fit.

This is the second search for a football coach that Benedict will lead. He fired Diaco on Dec. 26, 2016. Edsall, who had a 74-70 record at UConn in 1999-2010, was announced as coach two days later. “It’s just a totally different situation,” Benedict said. “The luxury, if there is one, is that we have an amount of time that is not typical in college searches… I may have some thoughts and opinions as to the kind of profile I think is right for us. I’m not ready to eliminate anyone at this point. We don’t want to start the search and create and artificial barrier for someone to get involved in the process who might wind up being a fantastic <-

Reaction Score
From today’s Mike Anthony story:

-> Benedict said UConn is considering several search firms to assist with the hire. The athletic department is putting together what Benedict called a “package of recruitment materials,” which would support explanations to interested coaches for how the program is supported, and what resources will be at its disposal.

Benedict will soon meet with UConn’s interim president, Andrew Agwunobi, and the framework for the search will continue to take shape from there. Most serious candidates will be active coaches so interviews are expected to be conducted into the offseason.

Last Saturday, before a 45-0 loss to Purdue at Rentschler Field, a group of athletic department representatives walked the tailgate lots to ask fans what they would prefer in the qualities of the next coach. Benedict said the opinion of former players will be valued. Calls from the football community have already started coming in — from people either interested in the job, or claiming to know the perfect fit.

This is the second search for a football coach that Benedict will lead. He fired Diaco on Dec. 26, 2016. Edsall, who had a 74-70 record at UConn in 1999-2010, was announced as coach two days later. “It’s just a totally different situation,” Benedict said. “The luxury, if there is one, is that we have an amount of time that is not typical in college searches… I may have some thoughts and opinions as to the kind of profile I think is right for us. I’m not ready to eliminate anyone at this point. We don’t want to start the search and create and artificial barrier for someone to get involved in the process who might wind up being a fantastic <-
Very thoughtful. A home run, really. The man is good at his job.

I picked u on his point that this juncture is very different from the last one. I take that to mean he will have a freer hand but is soliciting input from all the stakeholders.

AD's think of discussion boards as just so much chatter. But the fact that he has gone out of his way to hit that many grace notes is encouraging.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let the Boneyard decide it, like we always do. A poll will gage the feelings of the most interested fan base.

Are there any motivated coaches out there they may have been knocked down by life and super motivated for a shot at redemption?
Mighty Ducks Hockey GIF by Disney+

Reaction Score
BapeKidd should choose the next HC.
That's actually a brilliant idea, if he would agree to stay off the BY, so that his decision wouldn't be influenced by YUP! or LoyalFanCT.

Reaction Score
That's actually a brilliant idea, if he would agree to stay off the BY, so that his decision wouldn't be influenced by YUP! or LoyalFanCT.

Bro you’re a clown and probably the biggest troll on the boneyard. You literally search my name on here just to hit the dislike button without even reading my posts, you definitely dream about me at night. Did you get bullied by a kid name Yup! growing up? That wasn’t me and I think it’s time to move on and get a life.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Benedict wants to choose the next football Head Coach.
Is that the best thing for UConn?
Or, perhaps, investing in a Search Committee?
Personally, I think Benedict needs to spend every waking hours pounding the bushes for a respectable salary to pay the new coach. If he's not fund raising, he needs to start fund raising. Plenty of people say Benedict made the Hurley hire based on Jon Rothstein's tweets.
If UConn football exists beyond this year, it's next hire will be an existential hire. Because if the next guy fails, it's done.
So, my vote is for a search committee.
My objective choice for a Search Firm would be to employ Collegiate Sports Associates. If Dave doesn't have them on speed dial, he needs to.
Got this in an e-mail yesterday. Anyone else get it ? I guess this answers questions regarding a "search committee", but this is a new angle.

"..............in regard to the on-going search process for the next head football coach at the University of Connecticut. As we enter the early stages of this search process, we are offering “listening sessions” to select constituents of our football program, in conjunction with our search firm. This will be an opportunity to share feedback on the UConn football program and what you would like to see in our next head football coach. ..........."we have identified you as someone we would like to invite to a session. "

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Got this in an e-mail yesterday. Anyone else get it ? I guess this answers questions regarding a "search committee", but this is a new angle.

"..............in regard to the on-going search process for the next head football coach at the University of Connecticut. As we enter the early stages of this search process, we are offering “listening sessions” to select constituents of our football program, in conjunction with our search firm. This will be an opportunity to share feedback on the UConn football program and what you would like to see in our next head football coach. ..........."we have identified you as someone we would like to invite to a session. "
Mine must be in the mail, I'm sure its coming:cool:

But isn't the first rule of "citizen search committee" to deny the existence of said committee?

Reaction Score
Maybe someone from Boneyard could summarize our priorities on the search for a new coach and send it to the search firm, AD, interim president, and Board of Trustees.

Reaction Score

For anyone interested here's a little recap.

Just finished up listening ( I wasn't miked up ) but interesting stuff with about 20 or so of us. A little to much of the same narratives of why Uconn can't... NE football, takes to long in FB compared to hoops, tough academics, recruiting limitations.

To me you have to get a new HC that is willing to change these narratives with the power of the Uconn brand, across the board. Go all out like Boise St since the 90's with a bunch of different coaches, who have worse roadblocks than Uconn playing in frickin' Idaho. Cut some corners ( Uconn's made SAT's optional recently), use the portal, do it now and when you win, act like your supposed too. And do it aggressively on both sides of the ball, instead of playing the game like you'd rather be in the fetal position, playing it safe.

No more Edsall's little engine that could, when he accomplishes something like beating Notre Dame. Or a chump like Diaco who wants to start a rivalry game when he gets his 1st FBS win (UCF) or thanking teams for making him better like vs. Army. I remember listening to an edgy guy like Monken, a few years back, after he beat Uconn or a younger Calhoun in hoops ( who started in the Fieldhouse) when he said " they want to run with us, no they don't wan't to run with us" after he blew out Virginia on their home court by 40 or so. So the next guy needs to change these played out narratives, be loyal to his players, know who the enemy is( the opponent), stop making excuses, make this fun again and tell em' why Ucann.

I really liked what I heard from the lead Daniel Parker from Parker Search Group in the chat because he grasps and sees alot of positives that Uconn FB has and can do, with what's already in place, that tons of these programs don't have. Especially when most teams aren't gonna get to play for anything except some random bowl game, not a NC, no matter what they do ( just ask UCF). It's just getting the right HC, who'll sees the same opportunity, will enjoy the challenge and the journey.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Just finished up listening ( I wasn't miked up ) but interesting stuff with about 20 or so of us. A little to much of the same narratives of why Uconn can't... NE football, takes to long in FB compared to hoops, tough academics, recruiting limitations.

To me you have to get a new HC that is willing to change these narratives with the power of the Uconn brand, across the board. Go all out like Boise St since the 90's with a bunch of different coaches, who have worse roadblocks than Uconn playing in frickin' Idaho. Cut some corners ( Uconn's made SAT's optional recently), use the portal, do it now and when you win, act like your supposed too. And do it aggressively on both sides of the ball, instead of playing the game like you'd rather be in the fetal position, playing it safe.

No more Edsall's little engine that could, when he accomplishes something like beating Notre Dame. Or a chump like Diaco who wants to start a rivalry game when he gets his 1st FBS win (UCF) or thanking teams for making him better like vs. Army. I remember listening to an edgy guy like Monken, a few years back, after he beat Uconn or a younger Calhoun in hoops ( who started in the Fieldhouse) when he said " they want to run with us, no they don't wan't to run with us" after he blew out Virginia on their home court by 40 or so. So the next guy needs to change these played out narratives, be loyal to his players, know who the enemy is( the opponent), stop making excuses, make this fun again and tell em' why Ucann.

I really liked what I heard from the lead Daniel Parker from Parker Search Group in the chat because he grasps and sees alot of positives that Uconn FB has and can do, with what's already in place, that tons of these programs don't have. Especially when most teams aren't gonna get to play for anything except some random bowl game, not a NC, no matter what they do ( just ask UCF). It's just getting the right HC, who'll sees the same opportunity, will enjoy the challenge and the journey.

All this matters little if Uconn doesn't commit the $$$$ for the HC and his staff. Any talk on how much they are willing to spend?

Reaction Score
All this matters little if Uconn doesn't commit the $$$$ for the HC and his staff. Any talk on how much they are willing to spend?
Well there we go another reason, why Ucann't..........Yes there was, from a high level (even outside of Uconn itself ) on down, was the narrative.

Reaction Score

This details who the search firms are and their relative successes. Parker placed more FBS coaches but they have a sub 500 winning record. Also note that Parker got DB his job.

Reaction Score
This details who the search firms are and their relative successes. Parker placed more FBS coaches but they have a sub 500 winning record. Also note that Parker got DB his job.

PES was also used when we got Diaco… so they owe us one ;)

Reaction Score
PES was also used when we got Diaco… so they owe us one ;)
Yeah what was Diaco making $2Mil a year ? .... and Edsall on the cheap is still higher than about 40 FBS coaches, so I'd say money alone doesn't always get results.

Reaction Score
There are a number of ways to use a search firm and a number of ways to uses a committee. The firm can identify possible candidates and do some preliminary screening that it is pretty tough for the AD to do. Sometimes they can get real feedback on guys that official contacts won’t or can’t give. For example the guy who placed Benedict might call him unofficially to ask about Cory Edsall if he were being considered as coach at Northern South Dakota. Committees can either bless the AD’s choice, or if you let them, make the choice. But in a university setting you are likely going to have one so here’s hoping AD Dave knows how to run one. I suspect he does.

Reaction Score
I was also in one of the listening sessions and it sounds much like what Blade heard. He summarized his session well. The best thing I heard was that the powers in the state (Gov--Majority leaders in the statehouse, University BOT) are all-in on rejuvenating the program and are committed to paying the $$$. "Money will not be an issue in who UConn hires". Heard a lot about us getting more active in the portal---and protecting our young talent at year end from being enticed to enter it. Also, the search firm rep said our Independence is not a big negative and that DB deftly carved an interesting schedule and TV deal. I also heard the argument about Boise St and Coastal Carolina's kids not being able to get into UConn. At the same time lots of top 25 public U's are recruiting and winning. Part of it is getting "real" and "creative"with admissions, but part is the ability of the new HC to lead, sell a vision and have an eye for talent. Bottom line, I think we're all sober enough to know these sessions are more an opportunity for them to say they "engaged the fanbase", but I much preferred the Zoom session and its ability to engage, to a survey-monkey exercise. I doubt we influenced the process--lol--but it's clear the search firm currently has it's eye on a group of disparate guys, FCS and FBS HC's, OC's DC's and Asst's that can lead, build, excite, engage and attract a great staff. I also got the feeling that the search firm has a lot of faith in Benedict to ultimately pick the right guy from among the short list.

Reaction Score
We can find our Dave Clawson (should have hired him in 2013) who has found succeess in the ACC at Wake, at top 30 school NATIONALLY. We are a top 25 public.

Reaction Score
I'll tell you this much - The Boneyard wouldn't have hired PP, Diaco, or Edsall. It would have still been a disaster but we wouldn't have chosen them.
I disagree on Diaco. I thought it was a great hire. Broyles Award winner. Young & energetic. The opposite of Pasquoloni. ... Which is probably why I hate him more than anyone. I feel duped. I bought in. ... and i admit I was 100% wrong. But at the time I admit I liked the hire.

Reaction Score
The thing with Diaco is, he’s crazy. I have a strong eye for crazy. No way I look at that face in a one on one interview and don’t see the crazy. When we hired him I thought he was nuts, but I was hoping for crazy like a fox. That’s not what we got.

Reaction Score
Please find a coach that his system fits with the players. Spanos is doing a good job with this team. He is showing the players we have are ready.

Reaction Score
I was also in one of the listening sessions and it sounds much like what Blade heard. He summarized his session well. The best thing I heard was that the powers in the state (Gov--Majority leaders in the statehouse, University BOT) are all-in on rejuvenating the program and are committed to paying the $$$. "Money will not be an issue in who UConn hires". Heard a lot about us getting more active in the portal---and protecting our young talent at year end from being enticed to enter it. Also, the search firm rep said our Independence is not a big negative and that DB deftly carved an interesting schedule and TV deal. I also heard the argument about Boise St and Coastal Carolina's kids not being able to get into UConn. At the same time lots of top 25 public U's are recruiting and winning. Part of it is getting "real" and "creative"with admissions, but part is the ability of the new HC to lead, sell a vision and have an eye for talent. Bottom line, I think we're all sober enough to know these sessions are more an opportunity for them to say they "engaged the fanbase", but I much preferred the Zoom session and its ability to engage, to a survey-monkey exercise. I doubt we influenced the process--lol--but it's clear the search firm currently has it's eye on a group of disparate guys, FCS and FBS HC's, OC's DC's and Asst's that can lead, build, excite, engage and attract a great staff. I also got the feeling that the search firm has a lot of faith in Benedict to ultimately pick the right guy from among the short list.
Nostical is it your impression that UConn will allow mOre students in like Boise and Coastal or that they made the excuse they don’t need to because other top 25 universities succeed without allowing students like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom