Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC?

Reaction Score
DB should make the final choice. Too many cooks in the kitchen will create a mess.

I think the fanbase consensus is to hire an up and coming head coach who has been successful as a head coach at lower levels. That's not to say a coordinator couldn't win the job but he better blow away the competition in the interview.

The hiring team should reverse engineer coaching hires over the past 10 years and search for common traits among the good hires and the bad hires at our level. What differentiates Buffalo hiring Lance Leipold and Coastal Carolina hiring Jamey Chadwell from our hiring Diaco, Edsall, and PP.

Use the same method of hiring that brought us Calhoun.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Does anyone else think with the fast trigger finger with Edsall. I believe and want to know who else, DB already found the next HC. I just have the feeling.

Not saying you're wrong. If AD DV does have someone lined up I guarantee the requirements and desired characteristics the committee uses to evaluate candidates will match the qualifications of the person Dave has lined up.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Some of you seem to forget... our last search committee picked a coach based on his great ties to CT HS coaches. How did that work out? Just because you paid some bozos in suits to consult you doesnt mean you're going to get the best coach. Save that consulting money for the coaching staff!

Reaction Score
Some of you seem to forget... our last search committee picked a coach based on his great ties to CT HS coaches. How did that work out? Just because you paid some bozos in suits to consult you doesnt mean you're going to get the best coach. Save that consulting money for the coaching staff!
Consultants will follow the guidelines set by the administrators. Hathaway and the board of trustees were the responsible ones on that. Practically any one could have seen PP was not the right guy.

Reaction Score
Consultants will follow the guidelines set by the administrators. Hathaway and the board of trustees were the responsible ones on that. Practically any one could have seen PP was not the right guy.
It’s always gonna be a crap shoot. Parker Executive delivered Diaco (… and Benedict).

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think with the fast trigger finger with Edsall. I believe and want to know who else, DB already found the next HC. I just have the feeling.
A.D.Dave had to show FHCRE the door after the team's totally lackluster performances to start the season. Randy had preached for months that the 2020 layoff had allowed the team to get much stronger in the weight room & absorb the pllaybook. He promised at the event on the open practice date at the RENT that fans would see a bigger, more mature team with much better results. What he promised didn't translate to the playing field.
As to already finding his head coach, it's possible but, unless there are leaks to the media, the fanbase & general public won't find out until at least mid-November.
Factors:
1. Most likely, the candidate is currently employed. It's way early in the season & the candidate wouldn't want the news let out so as to avoid distractions for his current team.
2. Tampering: UConn doesn't need a lawsuit in season by the candidate's current employer.
3. Avoidance of the Huskies totally tanking this season: The players on the current roster know that changes are in process. They also know that they have to give maximum effort on the playing field to either enhance their chances of retaining their scholarships for next season OR embellishing their attractiveness to other teams if they choose to enter the transfer portal.

It will be interesting in the coming weeks to see what names are thrown out in the media of candidates expressing interest. The news generally comes out.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Agreed.They should submit their vetted candidates to us for a thumbs up or thumbs down. We will be the last gate before DB makes his choice. ;)
At least let us create the interview questions:

“Should UConn ever be a recruit’s only FBS offer?”

NOOOOOO

Reaction Score
My vote is for DB. Search Committee is good for recommending a short list. AD chooses.
Which is not to say, if we can stomach the phrase, "at the end of the day", Agwunobi's and the the BoT's heads have to go up and down too. But let's give DB some credit. Managing up is what AD's do. That should be a walk in the park for him simply by keeping them in the loop at every step. And he has to do that anyway simply to get the money. The bigger challenge will be to answer the existential question. Which potential HC best fulfills the vision decided upon should be a chip shot for him.

Reaction Score
DB should make the final choice. Too many cooks in the kitchen will create a mess.

I think the fanbase consensus is to hire an up and coming head coach who has been successful as a head coach at lower levels. That's not to say a coordinator couldn't win the job but he better blow away the competition in the interview.

The hiring team should reverse engineer coaching hires over the past 10 years and search for common traits among the good hires and the bad hires at our level. What differentiates Buffalo hiring Lance Leipold and Coastal Carolina hiring Jamey Chadwell from our hiring Diaco, Edsall, and PP.

Use the same method of hiring that brought us Calhoun.
Yeah, part of the process should be a root cause analysis of what went wrong with the previous three hires and extract the lessons learned. If we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it.

Somehow I doubt this will happen though.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see this as a Boneyard poll. My vote is search committee. I have zero confidence in Benedict.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
As a regular idiot on the board, I resemble that remark.
what aboot us casual idiots? do we count?
quote-i-get-no-respect-i-tell-you-when-i-was-born-the-doctor-smacked-my-mother-rodney-dangerfield-124-86-75.jpg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd like to see this as a Boneyard poll. My vote is search committee. I have zero confidence in Benedict.
Who at UConn has better insight into CFB than Benedict? His assistant hires have been successful.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Benedict wants to choose the next football Head Coach.
Is that the best thing for UConn?
Or, perhaps, investing in a Search Committee?
Personally, I think Benedict needs to spend every waking hours pounding the bushes for a respectable salary to pay the new coach. If he's not fund raising, he needs to start fund raising. Plenty of people say Benedict made the Hurley hire based on Jon Rothstein's tweets.
If UConn football exists beyond this year, it's next hire will be an existential hire. Because if the next guy fails, it's done.
So, my vote is for a search committee.
My objective choice for a Search Firm would be to employ Collegiate Sports Associates. If Dave doesn't have them on speed dial, he needs to.

Pretty sure a search committee brought us Diaco.. Pass on using them.

Reaction Score
Let the Boneyard decide it, like we always do. A poll will gage the feelings of the most interested fan base.

Are there any motivated coaches out there they may have been knocked down by life and super motivated for a shot at redemption?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Since his job is on the line, I'm glad he would want to make the call, but he is certainly going to reach out to people and hire a firm to vet potential hires. He's not trolling other programs media guides, or I hope he's not.

Reaction Score
Agreed - the committee needs to be people that are EXTREMELY passionate about UConn/football as opposed to some suit in a fancy office outside of CT (i.e. we don't need a overpaid talent search company).
Like the search committee for the President, any football coach search committee will include politicos ,probably faculty and students and be too big to be efficient. I vote for DB. Then we know where the buck stops.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Did a search committee hire Katsouleas? How did that work out? Pretty good for him financially but not for UConn or the taxpayers. I am hoping AD DB will make the right choice. I have no faith in a committee. Especially if a politician is on it.
And an AD isn't a politician???

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom