Should Benedict or a Search Committee Choose the HC?

Reaction Score
From today’s Mike Anthony story:

-> Benedict said UConn is considering several search firms to assist with the hire. The athletic department is putting together what Benedict called a “package of recruitment materials,” which would support explanations to interested coaches for how the program is supported, and what resources will be at its disposal.

Benedict will soon meet with UConn’s interim president, Andrew Agwunobi, and the framework for the search will continue to take shape from there. Most serious candidates will be active coaches so interviews are expected to be conducted into the offseason.

Last Saturday, before a 45-0 loss to Purdue at Rentschler Field, a group of athletic department representatives walked the tailgate lots to ask fans what they would prefer in the qualities of the next coach. Benedict said the opinion of former players will be valued. Calls from the football community have already started coming in — from people either interested in the job, or claiming to know the perfect fit.

This is the second search for a football coach that Benedict will lead. He fired Diaco on Dec. 26, 2016. Edsall, who had a 74-70 record at UConn in 1999-2010, was announced as coach two days later. “It’s just a totally different situation,” Benedict said. “The luxury, if there is one, is that we have an amount of time that is not typical in college searches… I may have some thoughts and opinions as to the kind of profile I think is right for us. I’m not ready to eliminate anyone at this point. We don’t want to start the search and create and artificial barrier for someone to get involved in the process who might wind up being a fantastic <-

Reaction Score
From today’s Mike Anthony story:

-> Benedict said UConn is considering several search firms to assist with the hire. The athletic department is putting together what Benedict called a “package of recruitment materials,” which would support explanations to interested coaches for how the program is supported, and what resources will be at its disposal.

Benedict will soon meet with UConn’s interim president, Andrew Agwunobi, and the framework for the search will continue to take shape from there. Most serious candidates will be active coaches so interviews are expected to be conducted into the offseason.

Last Saturday, before a 45-0 loss to Purdue at Rentschler Field, a group of athletic department representatives walked the tailgate lots to ask fans what they would prefer in the qualities of the next coach. Benedict said the opinion of former players will be valued. Calls from the football community have already started coming in — from people either interested in the job, or claiming to know the perfect fit.

This is the second search for a football coach that Benedict will lead. He fired Diaco on Dec. 26, 2016. Edsall, who had a 74-70 record at UConn in 1999-2010, was announced as coach two days later. “It’s just a totally different situation,” Benedict said. “The luxury, if there is one, is that we have an amount of time that is not typical in college searches… I may have some thoughts and opinions as to the kind of profile I think is right for us. I’m not ready to eliminate anyone at this point. We don’t want to start the search and create and artificial barrier for someone to get involved in the process who might wind up being a fantastic <-
Very thoughtful. A home run, really. The man is good at his job.

I picked u on his point that this juncture is very different from the last one. I take that to mean he will have a freer hand but is soliciting input from all the stakeholders.

AD's think of discussion boards as just so much chatter. But the fact that he has gone out of his way to hit that many grace notes is encouraging.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let the Boneyard decide it, like we always do. A poll will gage the feelings of the most interested fan base.

Are there any motivated coaches out there they may have been knocked down by life and super motivated for a shot at redemption?
Mighty Ducks Hockey GIF by Disney+

Reaction Score
That's actually a brilliant idea, if he would agree to stay off the BY, so that his decision wouldn't be influenced by YUP! or LoyalFanCT.

Bro you’re a clown and probably the biggest troll on the boneyard. You literally search my name on here just to hit the dislike button without even reading my posts, you definitely dream about me at night. Did you get bullied by a kid name Yup! growing up? That wasn’t me and I think it’s time to move on and get a life.

Top Bottom