Short Trip: St. Austine, Amelia, St. Simons Island | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Short Trip: St. Austine, Amelia, St. Simons Island

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I've actually never been. I mentioned it because a first cousin moved there in early 90s. Unlike me, he was half Italian and often acted like a mob stereotype. Definitely not the rural retiring type. He loved it down there. Always planned to visit as he was a fun time, but he passed couple of years ago after a long illness.
Essentially there's a two lane "highway" between Hilton Head and I-95 (to the airport). It used to have maybe one or two gated golf communities down closer to the bridge to Hilton Head, an outlet mall and some car dealerships. Aside from that it was miles and miles of just trees and swamp. Now there must be a dozen huge communities that went in along that road. The "town" itself is away from that road as is cute with some restaurants and shops.

Reaction Score
We have a small condo in Cape Canaveral and are out on the Space Coast every weekend - husband likes to fish out of Port Canaveral. A1A is crazy from mid-morning until dinner time from January through the end of March. It’s doable most of the time unless you have to drive a lot. We just avoid the pier (tourist trap) and Ron Jon’s (nothing but a store) area.

By the way the Air Force’s Thunderbirds will be flying out of Patrick Space Force base on April 15-16
In addition to seeing The Thunderbirds at Cocoa Beach on April 15th thru 16th, you can drive a bit to Ft. Lauderdale to see the Blue Angels on April 28th thru 29th. I went to both air shows a few years ago as well as one in Melbourne. Great time for me relaxing on the beach watching the jets above.

One of my favorite events is Surfing Santas on Christmas Eve outside Coconuts in Cocoa Beach. There could be hundreds of Santas in the water. I love it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In addition to seeing The Thunderbirds at Cocoa Beach on April 15th thru 16th, you can drive a bit to Ft. Lauderdale to see the Blue Angels on April 28th thru 29th. I went to both air shows a few years ago as well as one in Melbourne. Great time for me relaxing on the beach watching the jets above.

One of my favorite events is Surfing Santas on Christmas Eve outside Coconuts in Cocoa Beach. There could be hundreds of Santas in the water. I love it.

Coconuts is another good place for casual food

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Blue Angels are much better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Paging @Hankster to this thread since he's in Savannah. Certainly curious about the islands just east of Savannah, except Tybee.

Reaction Score
Paging @Hankster to this thread since he's in Savannah. Certainly curious about the islands just east of Savannah, except Tybee.
I don't know much about Savannah. But I did have a very nice Low Country Boil at Savannah Seafood Shack a few years back. Timely post since I know they have one of the largest St. Patrick's Day parades as well.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't know much about Savannah. But I did have a very nice Low Country Boil at Savannah Seafood Shack a few years back. Timely post since I know they have one of the largest St. Patrick's Day parades as well.
I know the city pretty well. I don't know the outlying Islands. It's an interesting city for sure. The squares are beautiful and it's lively. Definitely a huge St. Patrick's day there.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
It has been said that Hilton Head has a great beach. Also dog friendly. Now Jekyll Island is nice. Its between Savannah and Jacksonville. I never cared for Tybee myself. You are guaranteed a parking ticket, and recently upped the cost of the fines.

Reaction Score
Coconuts is another good place for casual food
We were there last week and got bangin’ shrimp. One of my favorites. They usually have Blantons as well. Panama will be playing there tomorrow (3/17). Monthly street festival with Hot Pink as well. Should be good time. If I see you and hubby, I’ll buy you a drink. I’ll have green shirt and hat and will be slightly inebriated.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm back. Quick results.

St. Augustine: fun, people were nice, old town has lots to do. Beaches across the intercoastal were nice, but car access sucks. This may be the norm in Florida - great foot access, terrible parking access. Traffic was pretty ridiculous. Quite touristy, and this is off season, so it must be a madhouse at peak.

Amelia Island: lower half is gorgeous and mostly unspoiled, but houses are all in gated communities. Fernandina Beach is a fun downtown, found several breweries. People were very nice. Main beach was accessible and very nice. Astonishing how little traffic there was. Can get anywhere in a few minutes. Old neighborhoods of cute houses and lots of newer communities too. Just a very relaxing location. Yulee across the bridge is a modern suburb with everything you need.

St. Simons Island: More remote. Pretty and lush. Loads of live oaks. Feels more like a town that happens to be an island. Lots of homes of all types. Nicer beach than expected, some parking, good foot access. Downtown is ok, mostly a beachy vibe, not at all fancy for a place with lots of rich people. Only one public golf course. People are really active, out walking and biking and there are paths and trails everywhere. Lots of golf cart use as transportation.

Jacksonville: Nice airport. Downtown seems ok. Sports complex is modern and on the water, but the put it in what was probably a rough part of town. Went through "historic" Springfield neighborhood, which used to be "the hood". Seems a gentrification is underway. Amazed by the lack of traffic. Boston traffic at 11:10 PM on a Sunday was much worse than JAX at rush hour on Thursday.

Unexpected: the two Islands south of Amelia, Little Talbot and Big Talbot, comprise a big part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve. Holy smokes the views of the water from there look like the Caribbean. Simply gorgeous.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm back. Quick results.

St. Augustine: fun, people were nice, old town has lots to do. Beaches across the intercoastal were nice, but car access sucks. This may be the norm in Florida - great foot access, terrible parking access. Traffic was pretty ridiculous. Quite touristy, and this is off season, so it must be a madhouse at peak.

Amelia Island: lower half is gorgeous and mostly unspoiled, but houses are all in gated communities. Fernandina Beach is a fun downtown, found several breweries. People were very nice. Main beach was accessible and very nice. Astonishing how little traffic there was. Can get anywhere in a few minutes. Old neighborhoods of cute houses and lots of newer communities too. Just a very relaxing location. Yulee across the bridge is a modern suburb with everything you need.

St. Simons Island: More remote. Pretty and lush. Loads of live oaks. Feels more like a town that happens to be an island. Lots of homes of all types. Nicer beach than expected, some parking, good foot access. Downtown is ok, mostly a beachy vibe, not at all fancy for a place with lots of rich people. Only one public golf course. People are really active, out walking and biking and there are paths and trails everywhere. Lots of golf cart use as transportation.

Jacksonville: Nice airport. Downtown seems ok. Sports complex is modern and on the water, but the put it in what was probably a rough part of town. Went through "historic" Springfield neighborhood, which used to be "the hood". Seems a gentrification is underway. Amazed by the lack of traffic. Boston traffic at 11:10 PM on a Sunday was much worse than JAX at rush hour on Thursday.

Unexpected: the two Islands south of Amelia, Little Talbot and Big Talbot, comprise a big part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historical Preserve. Holy smokes the views of the water from there look like the Caribbean. Simply gorgeous.

I saw your posts on the basketball board talking about TV for the game and hotels.

Each person has their own perspective on what they want and what they will tolerate. One thing it looks like you did see was how much opportunity there is for light outdoor recreation- kayaking, biking, walking, etc. Also, you can do many of those in beach type environments or, in a 10 minute drive, be in woodlands and marshes. Also, you can go from hectic, heavy traffic and touristy, to looking like you are on your own remote island in less than 30 minutes.

Looks like you got a nice variety of areas and pros/cons to chew on for thought.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I saw your posts on the basketball board talking about TV for the game and hotels.

Each person has their own perspective on what they want and what they will tolerate. One thing it looks like you did see was how much opportunity there is for light outdoor recreation- kayaking, biking, walking, etc. Also, you can do many of those in beach type environments or, in a 10 minute drive, be in woodlands and marshes. Also, you can go from hectic, heavy traffic and touristy, to looking like you are on your own remote island in less than 30 minutes.

Looks like you got a nice variety of areas and pros/cons to chew on for thought.
Yes, we like the diversity of things in north Florida. Lots of trees, live oaks, that's more appealing to me than the subtropical topography further south. St. Augustine is out. Amelia is very nice, and proximity to both Jacksonville and the huge nature preserves is appealing. Cost wise, Yulee isn't bad. Nothing is cheap anymore. St. Simons was more close-knit, almost like a small town....with the pluses and minuses that come with that. Florida has some tax advantages.

Not prepared to go all-in, but we will be watching the real estate market. Might be smarter to start with a townhome or something. Maybe rent it in summer, as I have no desire to be down there June-August.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes, we like the diversity of things in north Florida. Lots of trees, live oaks, that's more appealing to me than the subtropical topography further south. St. Augustine is out. Amelia is very nice, and proximity to both Jacksonville and the huge nature preserves is appealing. Cost wise, Yulee isn't bad. Nothing is cheap anymore. St. Simons was more close-knit, almost like a small town....with the pluses and minuses that come with that. Florida has some tax advantages.

Not prepared to go all-in, but we will be watching the real estate market. Might be smarter to start with a townhome or something. Maybe rent it in summer, as I have no desire to be down there June-August.

Sounds like a plan.

The June-August is funny. It sucks. No other way to put it. I'm at the point where I can push through one more week past 4th of July and then I basically shutdown for 7 weeks until Labor Day. It's the antithesis of something like the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in Jan-Feb. You know the weather is going to be brutal and there's no point in planning anything. When you factor in the afternoon rain storms which happen frequently and being in the middle of hurricane season, planning anything significant during that time frame is a waste. Even the beach is a crapshoot. Water is going to be in the 80's so it's not that refreshing, good possibilities of jellyfish with the higher water temps and even the breeze off the water is gross.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm amused reading this thread today as it's friggin 87F and humid outside on April 4 in Pittsburgh. I just took dog out for a short walk. We're both exhausted and sweating. I can't believe I used to play golf in this weather 20 years ago. And even walked the course!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom