Shonn Miller (Cornell Transfer) Met With UCONN | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Shonn Miller (Cornell Transfer) Met With UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Welp, that picture appears to be worth more than just 1000 words.

Certainly will be worth more than 1,000 words from Jeff Jacobs. Unless his head just exploded. Which is possible.

Reaction Score
“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Shonn Miller is not an undersized 4. He's a true 4/PF who can defend any size player at any level of college basketball.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Miller is a legitimate NBA prospect. Has his Cornell/Ivy degree just months away. Needs a school that can get him NBA exposure.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Wherever he goes, he is going to be elite defender and a competent finisher around the rim.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Shonn Miller is easily one of the most underrated players in the country and has NBA level defensive ability. Right system, he gets there.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Jeff Goodman writes on Miller, "better perimeter shooter than his numbers indicate." 3 years of ineffective 3-pt shooting is ample evidence. Shonn is a stud, but he is not a perimeter shooter.”

Reaction Score
“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Shonn Miller is not an undersized 4. He's a true 4/PF who can defend any size player at any level of college basketball.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Miller is a legitimate NBA prospect. Has his Cornell/Ivy degree just months away. Needs a school that can get him NBA exposure.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Wherever he goes, he is going to be elite defender and a competent finisher around the rim.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Shonn Miller is easily one of the most underrated players in the country and has NBA level defensive ability. Right system, he gets there.”

“@Cornell_BB_Blog: Jeff Goodman writes on Miller, "better perimeter shooter than his numbers indicate." 3 years of ineffective 3-pt shooting is ample evidence. Shonn is a stud, but he is not a perimeter shooter.”

reading the tea leaves , this should be a wrap. Uconn has an nba playbook and KO is plugged into the league. Scouts will see him here. I fear about michigan since its big ten and he's from big ten country, but I also doubt they can offer him the crazy tick KO will

Reaction Score
reading the tea leaves , this should be a wrap. Uconn has an nba playbook and KO is plugged into the league. Scouts will see him here. I fear about michigan since its big ten and he's from big ten country, but I also doubt they can offer him the crazy tick KO will
Another interesting thing from that Twitter account said UConn essentially offered (more likely expressed interest) Miller back in November. Been on him a while apparently.

EDIT: Don't think we have to worry about Michigan - they're at their scholly limit (unless Levert leaves)

Reaction Score
Another interesting thing from that Twitter account said UConn essentially offered (more likely expressed interest) Miller back in November. Been on him a while apparently.

EDIT: Don't think we have to worry about Michigan - they're at their scholly limit (unless Levert leaves)

wow.

Reaction Score
No other visits set up... I'm really hoping Ollie closes the deal this weekend. If he signs we boast the best defensive backcourt in the conference, couldn't think of a more perfect fit.

Dude is top ten in the country in defensive wins shares. Think about how badly we missed the defensive intelligence of Giffey or Daniels at the four last season; even if he doesn't sustain his block rate (looking at Tayshawn Thomas as an example whose block rate went down moving from Houston to OU) his ability to communicate and hedge is going to be invaluable. He could be the missing piece that catapults our defense into the category of the elite.

Reaction Score
Wait, how could UConn offer in November, unless they got permission from Cornell?
That's why I figured the guy meant expressed interest. The NY Times article talks about the Cornell coach and Miller's mom and high school coach fielding calls from college coaches during the season. Although, it might have been a special case because of the Ivy League rules about grad students.

Coaches who call Courtney, Williams or Miller’s high school coaches at St. Ignatius in Cleveland receive the same message.

“I politely tell them, thank you for your interest,” Williams said. “When the season is over — sometime after, not the day after the season is over — I will definitely get in contact with you, and we will schedule something. It will be after he has some time to digest.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/04/s...ifth-year-but-it-cant-be-at-cornell.html?_r=0

Reaction Score
Wait, how could UConn offer in November, unless they got permission from Cornell?

I was wondering that, too. I imagine there are all sorts of ways that coaches unofficially offer kids from other programs. "Offer" in this context could just mean they expressed interest, I don't know.

Reaction Score
I was wondering that, too. I imagine there are all sorts of ways that coaches unofficially offer kids from other programs. "Offer" in this context could just mean they expressed interest, I don't know.
Well, now that I think about it and looking back at that NY Times article, because of the Ivy League rules, Cornell knew that Miller couldn't play another year with them, so I wonder if they allowed the early contact with other schools because of that.

Reaction Score
Dude is top ten in the country in defensive wins shares. Think about how badly we missed the defensive intelligence of Giffey or Daniels at the four last season; even if he doesn't sustain his block rate (looking at Tayshawn Thomas as an example whose block rate went down moving from Houston to OU) his ability to communicate and hedge is going to be invaluable. He could be the missing piece that catapults our defense into the category of the elite.
And, that will give UConn two players that were top 42 in KenPom's defensive rebounding % (Miller was #6, DHam was #42).

Also, the abundance of alley-oops for DHam and Adams when Brimah and Miller are in the game :eek::eek::eek:

caw

Reaction Score
And, that will give UConn two players that were top 42 in KenPom's defensive rebounding % (Miller was #6, DHam was #42).

Also, the abundance of alley-oops for DHam and Adams when Brimah and Miller are in the game :eek::eek::eek:

Have to imagine DHams Drebounding would drop with a PF who can actually rebound.

If Miller comes it gives UConn a lot more frontcourt depth than last year. If he comes I'm starting to feel pretty good about next years team, still would like a guard (and it's interesting UConn really hasn't been mentioned with any of the fifth year guards).

I really want to see what kind of defense Ollie employs with two taller guards on the court. Love Boat but his size limited UConn a bit in what kind of defensive scheming they could employ.

Reaction Score
Have to imagine DHams Drebounding would drop with a PF who can actually rebound.

If Miller comes it gives UConn a lot more frontcourt depth than last year. If he comes I'm starting to feel pretty good about next years team, still would like a guard (and it's interesting UConn really hasn't been mentioned with any of the fifth year guards).

I really want to see what kind of defense Ollie employs with two taller guards on the court. Love Boat but his size limited UConn a bit in what kind of defensive scheming they could employ.

If Miller comes in and Enoch can give us some solid minutes we get a lot better right away. It also takes some pressure off Jalen at the point if the interior game is a bit better than last year.

Miller is HUGE, need to close this one.

Reaction Score
If Miller comes in and Enoch can give us some solid minutes we get a lot better right away. It also takes some pressure off Jalen at the point if the interior game is a bit better than last year.

Miller is HUGE, need to close this one.

Not to sound to dramatic BUT EVERYTHING depends on this signing for next year. I know that sounds outrageous but this kid is a true diamond in every sense. BL fills a glaring NEED. No doubt he can play himself into the draft with hard work over the summer.

Reaction Score
I liked this kid before, but the more I get to read about him, the more I like him. Seems to really fit like a glove in terms of what the team needs right now. Good fit for him, too. Good school, good program, immediate impact and a well-connected to the NBA coach. Crossing my fingers big time for him.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
UConn has great history with postgrad transfers, there's a glaring need for experience/rebounding on front line, and was enrolled in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (great program for that at UConn too) at Cornell. Literally no excuse for KO not to close the deal on this.

Reaction Score

Obvious typo but totally using it now
628x471.jpg

Reaction Score
Very, very optimistic about Miller right now...
Haven't seen too many of these posts in a while! Hope it comes to fruition, such a great fit for both sides as stated on here many times.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When we end up with these guys who it seems like we're in great shape with, they always seem to commit on their visit to Storrs, even if it's a silent verbal like D-Ham gave a few years back. If we don't hear something relatively soon, I'm going to start to worry, but it sounds like we may have some good news soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom